2020 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the cops responsible for outing Dani to the media got off following the investigation into their conduct.

Really? At a minimum, I'd expect a severe reprimand or suspension to those that thought it ok to pass along within the police force. But anybody that sent it outside should have been sacked.

It’ll hurt Port. They were elite at manning the mark in 2020.

Ken will struggle to get one of his assistants to come up with another idea for him... much like Port’s game plan suffered when Westhoff couldn’t flood back or Wines couldn’t go third man up while Ryder held the opposition ruckman.

Our “defence” also improved later in the season when we started “channeling” on the mark to force teams wide and protecting the middle.

I assume they’ll enforce no shepherding the man on the mark too?
Port will be absolutely rooted if the AFL ever clamp down on the number of players manning the mark. Jesus, every time the oppo has a set shot for goal Port have half a dozen players around the mark dancing around like dickheads. Port’s not alone here, but easily the worst offenders.

Last edited:
No lateral movement is going to result in about a million 50s.

I understand why they're trying to make it black and white. But they always create a grey area, 0 steps sideways becomes 1 with a planted foot, so just spreading of legs. Then that foot comes off the ground but wasn't re-planted prior to the play on call. Then it's 2 steps and then play on was called close enough, even though upon replay they moved one step and had replanted just before the whistle, but that's within the 'spirit' of the rule.

AFL are ******* around with rule changes again :mad:

Interchanges down to 75
No lateral movement when manning the mark
Kick ins at 15m instead of 10m

However we're likely to return to 20 minute quarters.

Reducing the interchange cap will supposedly "reduce congestion" and open up the game for higher scoring. My opinion is it will increase the amount of congestion as players won't be able to spread as easily, which has been the case since the cap was introduced and tightened

10 of our players did their hamstrings just reading that.

IMO increasing player fitness and defensive tactics are hurting the game, not rule changes.

Can't put a cap on how fit players become and they will only get fitter. Some sort of zoning system is the only way to combat this.

IMO increasing player fitness and defensive tactics are hurting the game, not rule changes.

Can't put a cap on how fit players become and they will only get fitter. Some sort of zoning system is the only way to combat this.
Not paying frees for holding the ball or incorrect disposal are causing congestion. It keeps the ball in a rolling maul for longer. Paying these frees and implementing immediate ball ups for stoppages would significantly open up play

Not paying frees for holding the ball or incorrect disposal are causing congestion. It keeps the ball in a rolling maul for longer. Paying these frees and implementing immediate ball ups for stoppages would significantly open up play
But they are things the AFL have implemented they can't possibly be the cause of it.

I 100% agree on the slow ball ups.

Will the umpires now actually start to call play on when the player actually plays on? Will they also be close enough for a player to hear it or will they continue to whisper it from 30m away?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's also player recruitment. You can't be completely unfit to play afl, but there is more emphasis on selecting "aerobic beasts" then trying to teach them footy.

The skills are therefore going to be poorer than if the most skilled players were prioritised.

The Jarmans would have been s-house at a combine and would have been lucky to be drafted these days.

Port will absolutely rooted if the AFL ever clamp down on the number of players manning the mark. Jesus, every time the oppo has a set shot for goal Port have half a dozen players around the mark dancing around like dickheads. Port’s not alone here, but easily the worst offenders.
Luke Shuey and McGovern didn't seem to be affected

Correct, but did you notice the number of players standing the mark? Hundreds I tells ya. Hundreds!

Edit: Although McGov’s kick was dodgy as hell when it came off the boot. Good job the bad foot connection caused enough ‘side’ on the ball to make it swing back through the air. Haha, I love that kick. The most unconvincing after the siren winner in history. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving losing team. Bahahaha.

Last edited:
In case you forgot and wanted to relive some happier moments.

Port will be absolutely rooted if the AFL ever clamp down on the number of players manning the mark. Jesus, every time the oppo has a set shot for goal Port have half a dozen players around the mark dancing around like dickheads. Port’s not alone here, but easily the worst offenders.
I reckon you are a little obsessed with Port....

Told you a year or so ago hey shorty and you thought me insane. Noble has been coveting senior coaching gigs throughout the last few years. It was obvious.
Even 6 weeks ago or so when he said he'd rather be a CEO ??

Sounds like he's being parachuted in again, I'll be very interested to see how he goes. Difficult job mind you, moreso than Nicks

Even 6 weeks ago or so when he said he'd rather be a CEO ??

Sounds like he's being parachuted in again, I'll be very interested to see how he goes. Difficult job mind you, moreso than Nicks

No, he's not. His name has been raised when numerous coaching gigs have become available. Bickley wrote an article last year putting his name forward. Why would Bickley pull Noble's name out of the hat when he's footy boss at Brisbane on the CEO path? This is the job Noble has been desperate for all along. As I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back