Mega Thread 2020 Off-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Stokes is well on his way to 100 in a session against South Africa over on 503 (Foxtel) if anyone is interested. I don’t care much for the guy but gee whiz he is on 71 from 45 balls on day 4 of a test match. Great to watch. Now Sibley (105 from 276 ) needs to give him some more strike!
Ben Stokes is well on his way to 100 in a session against South Africa over on 503 (Foxtel) if anyone is interested. I don’t care much for the guy but gee whiz he is on 71 from 45 balls on day 4 of a test match. Great to watch. Now Sibley (105 from 276 ) needs to give him some more strike!
Well I seem to have jinxed him immediately. Excellent.

Happy New Year everyone.

I think anyone with family/friends impacted by the fires or really any Australian that is just fed up with the s**t show that has been our government and their atrocious handling of it perhaps just need a place to vent.

I don't think this thread is the right place but I also think most people aren't keen to start/enter a convo with a bunch of strangers constituted from all other 17 clubs. I'm personally here for the Freo community, not the BF community. I respect other Freo supporters will have differences of opinions on various things but in most cases I want to hear them and debate them.

Also may have been smarter if another mod had shut it down in here given the one who did posted quite a few political posts themselves and the convo was somewhat trending against their pov at the time ;) A bit ironic given the topic but I'm sure taylor didn't intend it that way.

Perhaps a separate thread where those who are interested can vent and share their views? I have zero interest in the Electric Boogaloo thread and assume others feel similarly but it still exists and I just ignore it. Or are (the vast majority of) people not capable of ignoring threads that don't interest them?

Happy New Year everyone.

I think anyone with family/friends impacted by the fires or really any Australian that is just fed up with the s**t show that has been our government and their atrocious handling of it perhaps just need a place to vent.

I don't think this thread is the right place but I also think most people aren't keen to start/enter a convo with a bunch of strangers constituted from all other 17 clubs. I'm personally here for the Freo community, not the BF community. I respect other Freo supporters will have differences of opinions on various things but in most cases I want to hear them and debate them.

Also may have been smarter if another mod had shut it down in here given the one who did posted quite a few political posts themselves and the convo was somewhat trending against their pov at the time ;) A bit ironic given the topic but I'm sure taylor didn't intend it that way.

Perhaps a separate thread where those who are interested can vent and share their views? I have zero interest in the Electric Boogaloo thread and assume others feel similarly but it still exists and I just ignore it. Or are (the vast majority of) people not capable of ignoring threads that don't interest them?
Totally agree, apart from the topic kinda fits with the thread title, and history of diverse discussion that you can expect in it.

What started as a thank you to firefighters quickly turned into political bun fight of the same type that is available in a multitude of places. I don't feel this is the right place to be airing political opinions. The chances of having a reasonable discussion on that topic on line are remote so why bring all that angst here?

You're so welcome to discuss the subject on the society and politics board here on bigfooty but it's been made really clear to me that Fremantle AFL fans have no interest in this board being clogged up with discussion about it.

Who the f*** wants to discuss anything of substance on that dumpster fire?

Incredibly disappointed in the Kiwis. Thought they'd put up way more of a fight and make it an interesting series.

Guess I now have to work out whether I've got the guts to continue watching the Scorchers or hibernate for AFLW.

Easily the most interesting discussion had on this board since before the draft.
Can’t imagine anyone who is giving any thought to the future well being of our children and grand children would not be interested in the topic.
Likewise anyone who cares anything for our beautiful wildlife currently being incinerated by the hundreds of millions.

I thought the Non-Freo stuff meant this was a sports thread... or other teams etc.

The chances of having a good political discussion in the midst of a national emergency are exactly zero. Perhaps title a thread politics in here and then I know to avoid the cesspool of point scoring and abuse targetted to people of differing opinions or political leaders. Which I abhor of when aimed at L/C/R pollies. You can get me on board with having a go at effective dictators but apart from that, there is a heap of pot, kettle action. And very little to no serious ideas put forward for improvement.

I enjoy the cricket discussion, eas looking forward to coming here for tennis discussion, UFC, premier league or any other sport.

Happy New Year everyone.

This sounds like the voice of reason to me. The bushfires in the east are a Very Big Deal and naturally any thinking person wants to talk about it. Melbourne is shrouded in smoke and the Oz Open is currently under threat, though of course this is nothing compared to the disaster wreaked on regional communities and HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of native animals burning to death.

Surely it makes sense to have a new thread devoted to the bushfires only.

EDIT: a politics thread is fine too - thanks Cesoir :)

Last edited:
Who the f*** wants to discuss anything of substance on that dumpster fire?
why create a dumpster fire on here then too.

this thread works because we are obviously a diverse range of people from all different walks of life, but we have a common love for a footy team and while we disagree on aspects on play, how the club is run, coaching, etc. we have the common goal of us all wanting to share the success of our team and have built up a camaraderie over many years with other commentators on this Freo board.

on the other hand, as shown by some recent snippets on here and the media thread, our views on politics, religion, everything else, differ remarkably across the full spectrum and discussions on those topics on here will quickly destroy that camaraderie and the negativity won't be worth it.

I have no issue if people want to say how sad this natural disaster is, stories they may have first hand or otherwise, discuss the devastating death of the wildlife, the heroics of the firefighters and land owners, etc. but really not interested in your views on the politics etc. I can get that from every single other social media site and every single media site if I want it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres a dedicated thread for that now so we can continue talking cricket and other feel good topics on this one. Surely this appeases everybody?

I am very much looking forward to seeing if South Africa can bat out day five and save the test against England. England need 8 wickets on a pretty flat day 5 wicket. South Africa need 315 runs to win (unlikely) or to bat out the day for a draw.

Surely now is not the time to be talking about a cricket match on a different continent. A commission of enquiry sure, when the game is over. Not now while they’re still playing.

Happy New Year everyone.

Never discuss politics religion or sex around table as they say. A separate thread for all those things seems a good idea.

So you don't do the electric boogaloo.

Is that a per capita thing? We are also streaks ahead on renewable power per capita.

View attachment 801943
What's the source for this, it doesn't look right. To me it looks like it might be SOLAR per person, rather than RENEWABLES per person. I doubt Australia could be that much further ahead when we don't have the same access to Hydropower some other countries have.

Anyone else well and truly over the BBL after being pretty into it during its infancy? I think it suffers a lot from a lack of big international stars, including Aussie players. I'll catch a minute here and there of the odd Scorchers match but at this stage it all feels rather samey and run of the mill. Have found myself slowly getting into more and more US sports over the years to fill the summer itch and having Kayo really expedites that

I've been a Freo fan since inception & despite moving to Melbourne 7 years ago I liked the Scorchers.
I'm still a WA boy, but I'm more Melbourne than Perth & at the start of this BBL I decided to quit the Scorchers as they are a Perth team(& they have too many Poms).
The team I chose was the Renegades as I didn't like the Stars, only for the Renegades to become crap as soon as I liked them. Haha
Oh well, bring on the tennis as I like Roger the best

Anyone else well and truly over the BBL after being pretty into it during its infancy? I think it suffers a lot from a lack of big international stars, including Aussie players. I'll catch a minute here and there of the odd Scorchers match but at this stage it all feels rather samey and run of the mill. Have found myself slowly getting into more and more US sports over the years to fill the summer itch and having Kayo really expedites that

Cricket Australia have killed the goose that layed the golden egg by going for quantity over quality by scheduling too many extra games imo. One game rarely means anything now unless it's getting towards the end of the season and there is a must win game to qualify or a big head to head clash in Sydney or Melbourne.
The Scorchers travel itinerary is an absolute joke. They fly home to play a home game after every away game and then fly back out to where they were just a few days before. While this rubbish goes on the Scorchers are just cannon fodder.
I agree with you regarding US sports and specifically NFL. A 16 game season leaves little room for error and the finals are all sudden death. Every game has so much hanging on the result. Even the wildcard weekend has had some great games this year.
My money is on Baltimore to win the Superbowl after watching the amazing season they have had. Lamar Jackson is something else to watch and makes all the older QB's who just stand in the pocket and pass look like dinosaurs.

I've been a Freo fan since inception & despite moving to Melbourne 7 years ago I liked the Scorchers.
I'm still a WA boy, but I'm more Melbourne than Perth & at the start of this BBL I decided to quit the Scorchers as they are a Perth team(& they have too many Poms).
The team I chose was the Renegades as I didn't like the Stars, only for the Renegades to become crap as soon as I liked them. Haha
Oh well, bring on the tennis as I like Roger the best

Don't worry, I did the same because Shaun Marsh was at the Rengades. I have now jumped to the Melbourne Stars (big fan of Maxwell) much to the amusement of some mates. Who cares this is twenty twenty cricket.

Just for context, I have followed the same WAFL team since 1967 and will never change, I just don't care about the twenty twenty teams (dont mind the game though).

Wildcats is the other great passion.

Haven't been into it this year either. I also think there are too many games.

The kiwis were thoroughly disappointing in the first two tests then rested key players for the last test. Unless their best players were injured screw giving them any type of good schedule in the future. India should be a much better series.

I think that there is too much sport accessible now. So much choice there are no breaks. I will purposely avoid cricket until India play again and may even skip watching the Olympics this year.

Maybe I am suffering from sports overload or sports fatigue in general.

As a pet hate... I also wish commentators would stop overusing words like 'star' or 'a great' or 'one of the very best' etc etc. The words become meaningless with more use.

I recall a few years ago Waleed Ali discussing the future of the 20 - 20 format with a colleague. Waleed postulated that eventually this would be seen as being too long for a game of cricket and it would evolve to matches where the captains would walk out, toss the coin and then everyone pack up and go home.

Is that the same Waleed Aly that went around boasting to be advising the AFL, then claimed to be misquoted when the story broke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back