Mega Thread 2020 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't understand all the Rowell hate personally. Someone has to be willing to stand up and try improve the culture of that club. Good on him if he's willing to put himself out there as an 18yo instead of hiding in the background saying it isn't his job.

Who knows, in time we might look back at him as a Michael Voss type leader of cultural change for the Suns.
Does Anyone even know what he was saying or doing?
Maybe he was taking the lunch orders ?🙃

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
I don't understand all the Rowell hate personally. Someone has to be willing to stand up and try improve the culture of that club. Good on him if he's willing to put himself out there as an 18yo instead of hiding in the background saying it isn't his job.

Who knows, in time we might look back at him as a Michael Voss type leader of cultural change for the Suns.
Maybe when he’s played more than a handful of games and earnt it. You’d be laughing at Serong too if he put on a headset, tucked in his polo and started giving Fyfe advice.

Isn't the acquisition of Brad Ottens said to be a major reason for Geelong winning a couple premierships?
Nankervis had a big impact at the Tigers when he got traded in although not a "top flight" ruck I remember the media talking about how good he was along with Caddy and Prestia.
Maybe some more that's the closest i could think of off the top of my head.
Sydney bought Jolly, Collingwood bought Jolly and Brown, Hawthorn McEvoy, I believe David Hale was a Kangaroo first too.

The entire game starts with the ruck and every club knows it.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Having a team on the Gold Coast seems like very 80's / 90's thinking. The same sort of thinking that lead to West Perth being shifted to Joondalup. I.E. It seemed like a good idea until you actually did it and discovered not only didn't it add anything, it was a net negative.

Brisbane Population: 2.7 Million - AFL Teams - 1
Gold Coast Population: 0.6 Million - AFL Teams - 1

See the problem?

I have no issue with there being two teams in Queensland for TV rights purposes but they should both be in Brisbane. They could have gone the GWS model: Called them South Brisbane (or whatever) and have them play 4 (or whatever) of their home games on the Gold Coast. Instead they created a team that was market limited from the start.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Maybe when he’s played more than a handful of games and earnt it. You’d be laughing at Serong too if he put on a headset, tucked in his polo and started giving Fyfe advice.
Thing is, Rowell is equivalent to their Fyfe, 3 games in. No Rowell, no GC. At least when Fyfe’s out we still win a few games. 😆

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
The GC region has no soul and a transient population. A bogans paradise that won’t be able To truely get behind a sporting side for decades (if ever)
Never a truer word spoken. Surfers Paradise is the Kuta of Australia. Bogan tourists. Down the road is Shapelle Corby types. Somewhere in there are the grey Vics who have relocated post-retirement for the weather. They bring their own team support with them. Further down the road and you’re getting into the more gentrified upmarket eco-trendy crew who’s only sport is surfing. Then you hit the border and the NSWers aren’t interested in supporting any team from GC. It’s a wasteland.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Finlaysons manager must be loving life. Club tells players to "ship off" if they don't want to be here. Finlayson shows loyalty and signs, club appreciates it and is stupid enough to offer 3 years. 3 years?!?! Gee whiz

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Finlaysons manager must be loving life. Club tells players to "ship off" if they don't want to be here. Finlayson shows loyalty and signs, club appreciates it and is stupid enough to offer 3 years. 3 years?!?! Gee whiz
They tried to ship him off with 2 years on a contract a couple years ago and noone wanted him, to be fair he is worth 3 years now, kicked a goal in every game this year.

Just hope he doesn't revert to the mean and they can't ship him off again.

Gee Norf are in a bad way if they can only find one player to drop after the way they played against us.
Eagles could win this by 100
if it was a full length game and the Eagles really turned up, 186 could be in danger

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

I still don't see the big issue. Modern clubs aren't run like 1950's boarding schools where you have to hide in the shadows until you're a senior. If anything they promote an ethos of each and every player holding each other accountable, whether you're a rookie or a 200 gamer. That's certainly the vibe I get from teams like Richmond when they talk about their culture.

It would have been the easiest thing in the world for Rowell to retreat into his shell and focus on himself during his rehab. Hell, that's what Ablett reportedly did down there when he was having those shoulder issues, and he was supposed to be the captain - no wonder they've had culture issues previously!

I think it shows great maturity for an 18yo to want to stay involved helping the team when he can't be part of it himself. It's not his fault the media keep focusing on him on the sidelines.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
lol - AFL HQ are experts at reading the room...

Its pretty cringy but most videos like this are no matter the subject. Its a bit absurd the amount of a hype for a 5 game super star. He's probably going to be a gun but jeeze it would be mildly amusing if he peters out into averageness.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
I still don't see the big issue. Modern clubs aren't run like 1950's boarding schools where you have to hide in the shadows until you're a senior. If anything they promote an ethos of each and every player holding each other accountable, whether you're a rookie or a 200 gamer. That's certainly the vibe I get from teams like Richmond when they talk about their culture.

It would have been the easiest thing in the world for Rowell to retreat into his shell and focus on himself during his rehab. Hell, that's what Ablett reportedly did down there when he was having those shoulder issues, and he was supposed to be the captain - no wonder they've had culture issues previously!

I think it shows great maturity for an 18yo to want to stay involved helping the team when he can't be part of it himself. It's not his fault the media keep focusing on him on the sidelines.
I can see that side of it for sure, and I agree. In an ideal world.

I just don't have faith in their system that they have a mature enough culture to support it.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal

As and outsider it seems a tad 'odd' but really I find the 'outrage' from fans on the couch over it far more 'odd' tbh.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
As and outsider it seems a tad 'odd' but really I find the 'outrage' from fans on the couch over it far more 'odd' tbh.

No one in Oz culture likes a FIGJAM
It's taken Buckley nearly nigh on a quarter of a century before he's become universally admired, would have happened 20 years earlier if he hadn't been such a prat in his early days. We have a love-hate relationship with our truly elite sportsmen in this country

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
No one in Oz culture likes a FIGJAM
It's taken Buckley nearly nigh on a quarter of a century before he's become universally admired, would have happened 20 years earlier if he hadn't been such a prat in his early days. We have a love-hate relationship with our truly elite sportsmen in this country
This ^

It's not outrage. It's more.. a scoff at the cringe of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back