NFL 2020 - Off-Season Player News & General Discussion

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Impending free agent Drew Brees declined to comment on his future following Sunday's Wild Card loss to Minnesota.
For the second time in three years, the Saints are going home courtesy of the Vikings, who pulled out a 26-20 overtime victory. The future Hall of Famer wasn't ready to show his cards Sunday, playing it close to the vest in his post-game remarks. "I’ve always just taken it one year at a time and kind of reevaluate each offseason, and find the things I want to get better at, and move on," said the soon-to-be 41-year-old, who contributed a career-best 116.3 quarterback rating during the regular season but committed a pair of costly turnovers in Sunday's defeat. Even with Teddy Bridgewater and exciting hybrid Taysom Hill in tow, it would still be an upset if Brees played anywhere but New Orleans in 2020.
SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports
Jan 6, 2020, 8:19 AM ET

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford

If teams are willing to trade up to 3 for him injured. its a big win for teams trying to get Herbet.

I said it lastweek the Lions control the draft. BEcause the Giants kept Gettelman and he wont trade pick 4, but Miami, Charges, Carolina all need QB's.
You might even get teams like Indi, Raiders, Bucs, Falcons looking to trade for a QB.

Woodson - Jets should have listened to you mate

LD knows plenty and will live under the radar.. on the flipside, he doesn’t rate the HC. Neither do I.

I find that certain systems fit certain players.. no guarantee Lamar Jackson flourishes in the current Jets system. Gase isn’t the answer. It was a desperate choice and is the NYG recent choice for HC. You be the judge.

Brady wanting to play on isn't anything new imo.

The big questions are if BB wants him back, and/or if Kraft will force him to re-sign old Tommy

I don’t think Brady needs to be moved along. He just needs better pieces around him. How bad would it look for Brady to be traded (still blue chip material) at a second round choice to have him flourish in another system and make the play-offs whilst the Pats miss out? The Kraft administration are indebted to him because Brady’s age isn’t the issue. He looks after himself more than many dare to believe.. still has a year of quality service to provide.

I don’t think Brady needs to be moved along. He just needs better pieces around him. How bad would it look for Brady to be traded (still blue chip material) at a second round choice to have him flourish in another system and make the play-offs whilst the Pats miss out? The Kraft administration are indebted to him because Brady’s age isn’t the issue. He looks after himself more than many dare to believe.. still has a year of quality service to provide.
Tough one. Yeah he may have a year but even looking after yourself can’t prevent age effect on arm and movement.

Pats can try and reload to win again with Brady by trading for win now, but if Brady deteriorates that could put them further behind. Plenty of holes to fill on O side, OL, receivers, tight end, a big back.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Former Chargers TE Antonio Gates announced his retirement from the NFL after 16 seasons.
The 39-year-old Gates last played in 2018. The Chargers lifer and former Kent State power forward retires with 116 career touchdown catches, tops among NFL tight ends and good for seventh-most all-time. An eight-time Pro Bowler, Gates was arguably the most feared tight end in football throughout his prime, operating as the chief red-zone weapon for both Drew Brees and Philip Rivers during his 16-year run in San Diego/Los Angeles. He contributed two 1,000-yard receiving seasons while also reaching double-digit touchdowns on four occasions. Gates never won a Super Bowl—or even played in one—but there's no doubt he'll go down as one of the greatest tight ends to ever lace them up. A Hall of Fame shoe-in, Gates won't have to wait long for his enshrinement in Canton.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Antonio Gates on Twitter
Jan 14, 2020, 2:11 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Carey Codd of CBS Miami reports police in Hollywood, Florida have "severed ties" with free agent WR Antonio Brown.
Police were called to Brown's home Monday to investigate a "domestic disturbance." What followed was a vicious tirade from Brown, who blasted law enforcement with an expletive-laden outburst. To make matters worse, Brown, who recorded the encounter on social media, launched his verbal attack with his own children present. The former Steelers receiver has been an advocate of the Police Athletic League, donating both time and money to the organization, but will no longer have any affiliation with that group following Monday's meltdown. "These incidents have caused an irreparable rift between the Police Department and PAL and Mr. Brown," police spokesman Christian Lata wrote in a statement. "We will not take money from a donor that we cannot have our youth be proud of or represent our organization." The seven-time Pro Bowler tried out for the Saints last month but it's hard to envision the controversial receiver ever playing another NFL snap.
SOURCE: CBS Miami
Jan 14, 2020, 4:53 PM ET

Carey Codd of CBS Miami reports police in Hollywood, Florida have "severed ties" with free agent WR Antonio Brown.
Police were called to Brown's home Monday to investigate a "domestic disturbance." What followed was a vicious tirade from Brown, who blasted law enforcement with an expletive-laden outburst. To make matters worse, Brown, who recorded the encounter on social media, launched his verbal attack with his own children present. The former Steelers receiver has been an advocate of the Police Athletic League, donating both time and money to the organization, but will no longer have any affiliation with that group following Monday's meltdown. "These incidents have caused an irreparable rift between the Police Department and PAL and Mr. Brown," police spokesman Christian Lata wrote in a statement. "We will not take money from a donor that we cannot have our youth be proud of or represent our organization." The seven-time Pro Bowler tried out for the Saints last month but it's hard to envision the controversial receiver ever playing another NFL snap.
SOURCE: CBS Miami
Jan 14, 2020, 4:53 PM ET

You know its bad when people won't even take your donations anymore. * me😂

Multiple concussions and other injuries. The right thing to do. Bad news for the Panthers but he has to look after himself.

Just had an alert Luke Kuechly was retiring?

Edit:

It's good that he's going out on top in a way. Too many players refuse to face reality and make the wrong decision for their health and their play on the field.

Kind of reminds me of Patrick Willis. Retired too soon but at least everyone remembers how great of a linebacker he was.

Sad to see him go but there were major red flags with the way Luke was playing this year from my perspective, and probably of anyone that watched him closely, particularly on run support.

Thanks for a great 8 years of service Luke. One of the greatest three Panthers to ever play this game!

Last edited:
Panthers are done, they might as well rebuild entirely.

Olsen will retire too you would think.

Get a pick for Newton and start over.

Chargers and Black Cats will have to endure tough seasons.. With McCafferey lighting it up.. he isn't gonna be part of the Black Cats next push so may as well trade him out for a First and other picks.

Does have a certain Jimmy Clausen lead Panthers feel about next season.
Ah memories. When I took Clausen at end of first round in Alpha I said he’d be the next Philip Rivers...eww

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Panthers MLB Luke Kuechly announced his retirement after eight seasons.
The No. 9 overall pick in 2012, Kuechly was only entering his age-29 season, so this is a completely unexpected retirement. The best linebacker for multiple seasons in the 2010s, Kuechly finishes his eight-year career with at least 100 combined tackles in every single season and the third-most tackles before turning 29 in NFL history. His unique blend of speed, aggressiveness, and smarts led Kuechly to a Super Bowl appearance, seven Pro Bowls, five All-Pros, and Defensive Rookie of the Year (2012) and Defensive Player of the Year (2013) honors. Kuechly is easily one of the most accomplished players in Carolina Panthers' history and will be considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame despite a shorter than normal career. His leadership and reliability will be missed in 2020 and beyond.
SOURCE: Panthers on Twitter
Jan 14, 2020, 8:37 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa (hip) will reportedly throw for NFL teams before the 2020 NFL Draft.
Tagovailoa is on track to be "healthy" by April and is planning on participating in a 40-minute throwing session for NFL teams. If things go as planned, Tua will throw between 60-80 passes during that time. The Alabama stud has the potential to be drafted inside the top-three picks but needs to prove that his dislocated hip can hold up in the NFL. Team doctors will obviously play a major role in Tagovailoa's draft process. On the field, Tua is one of the most accurate and accomplished passers to enter the draft in recent memory.
SOURCE: AL.com
Jan 14, 2020, 8:15 PM ET

Back