NFL 2020 - Off-Season Player News & General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

the official in the booth didnt see his judgement to be enough to overturn the judgement of the refs on the field to overturn the judgement call.

I'm talking about the bleedingly obvious like the PI missed call in the NFC championship game 2 years ago. Stuff like it. The league survived for 50 years without these ridiculous coaches challenges on PI, I'm pretty sure it can make it through another 50.

I'm talking about the bleedingly obvious like the PI missed call in the NFC championship game 2 years ago. Stuff like it. The league survived for 50 years without these ridiculous coaches challenges on PI, I'm pretty sure it can make it through another 50.
The only way to change it is to have some full time refs and train them better on penalty. It might also slow down all the OT who jump early if they got called.

Its not like PI is the only call they f**k up on, they are all s**t at everything.

ProFootballNetwork.com's Tony Pauline reports people at the NFL combine have indicated that Philip Rivers will sign with the Colts.
The sources reportedly point to the fact that Rivers has a "great relationship with head coach Frank Reich," and, "It should also be an easy signing as the Colts are projected to have a lot of room under the cap." Obviously the Colts didn't quite see the whole Andrew Luck retirement coming. Still, devoting an early round pick to the position regardless of whether or not they ultimately land Rivers is probably a good idea. The good news is they possess the type of dominant offensive line that could theoretically keep Rivers upright in 2020.
SOURCE: ProFootballNetwork.com
Feb 26, 2020, 11:22 AM ET

sounds like theyre gonna accept...

The NFLPA's board of player representatives has voted to send ownership's proposed collective bargaining agreement to the entire membership for a vote.
The sides met for four hours Tuesday before the player reps broke off for a meeting of their own. Whatever differences remain were apparently settled, as the NFLPA board would not be sending the proposal to the entire player pool unless it hoped/expected it would pass. A simple majority is all that's required. Approval would mean a 17th regular season game and an expanded postseason no earlier than 2021, amongst many other changes. Owners reportedly Owners agreed to eliminate the $250,000 cap on earnings for 17th game.
SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Feb 26, 2020, 1:43 AM ET

So the PA exectivue committee voted 7-4 yes [Sherm is a confirmed NO] the player reps voted 17-14 Yes [Rus, Sherm and Rodgers both confirmed NO votes based on Twitter, Apparently Rodgers was the most vocal NO vote in the room.]

List of players are here.

The fact that the players still havent got the owners to remove the franchise tag. In a few weeks when players get tagged if the CBA is still going on it could be taken back up.

Players have more power than they thing, the owners are rushing through this, If the players vote NO, there is no chance the owners shut down negotiations since they are also trying to get new TV deal done and cant do that till the CBA is done.

I'll be very surprised if this CBA gets voted down by the players. The rank and file players have much to gain by things like increased min salaries, more roster spots, larger practice squad, etc. The superstars will vote no on principle but I think it'll pass.

I'll be very surprised if this CBA gets voted down by the players. The rank and file players have much to gain by things like increased min salaries, more roster spots, larger practice squad, etc. The superstars will vote no on principle but I think it'll pass.
Yep. A lot of the things people think they should be fighting for matter much more to the star players and those that get into trouble off the field than they do to the average player.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports teams would be forced to choose between the franchise and transition tags if/when the proposed collective bargaining agreement is ratified.
The NFL's franchise and transition tag window will open Thursday, February 27, as planned. If and when the new CBA is ratified, however, its terms would take effect immediately, forcing teams to choose between the two. This obviously has a direct impact on organizations currently juggling multiple extension candidates, a list that includes the Cowboys (Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper), Buccaneers (Jameis Winston and Shaquil Barrett), and Titans (Ryan Tannehill and Derrick Henry). Expect the free agent pool to grow immensely if the details are agreed upon.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Feb 26, 2020, 4:06 PM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ex-Bengals and Dolphins RB Mark Walton was arrested early Thursday morning following a "verbal dispute with the mother of his child."
Police report there was "no physical contact between Walton and the woman." The arrest is Walton's fifth in the past 12 months. Walton has been previously accused of "punching his five-week pregnant girlfriend several times in the face and head." Although he is only 22 years old, Walton's NFL career is over.
SOURCE: WSVN.com
Feb 27, 2020, 2:29 PM ET

Profootballtalk reports the proposed CBA includes "several devices that will disincentivize players under contract from missing training camp."
Mike Florio reports daily fines for holding out would be "substantially" increased from the current maximum of $40,000. They would also become mandatory for players on their second contract. Currently, teams often wipe away fines once renegade players report. Players would also "lose an accrued season toward free agency by failing to show up for camp on town or by leaving camp for more than five days." This has the sounds of a major sticking point in talks where the momentum is currently uncertain.
SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Feb 27, 2020, 2:24 PM ET

ESPN's Jeff Darlington said Thursday, "I’m now at the point where I would be stunned if Tom Brady went back to New England."
Specifically, "Brady is currently operating under the belief that he will enter free agency to play somewhere other than New England next season, a sentiment the quarterback has shared with others." The Titans, Raiders and Chargers are reportedly the top three suitors for Brady. 2019 marked his worst statistical season since 2013 and before then 2006. In all three instances the Patriots were fairly depleted of talent in the passing game. It's not like Brady was suddenly rendered mute on deep balls: he was one of 14 QBs to post a QB Rating over 100 on passes thrown at least 20 yards downfield (PFF). Yes, he led the league in throwaways (40) and posted the third-highest rate of bad throws (Pro Football Reference) ... but he also had to deal with the seventh-highest drop rate. The GOAT isn't washed just yet, although the days of him elevating a porous supporting cast might be over. This will be the main free agency story line to watch moving forward.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Feb 27, 2020, 8:57 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots have "not really engaged" impending free agent Tom Brady on a new contract.
It builds on Jeff Darlington's Thursday morning report that Brady is "currently operating under the belief" he will be playing elsewhere in 2020. Per Rapsheet, Brady's agent is meeting with nearly every quarterback-needy team at the Combine, including the Chargers, Raiders and Colts. Rapsheet does not report if those meetings are Brady specific. Perhaps this is the last bit of scuttlebutt before the sides finally reunite, but it is quite possible the reports need to be taken at face value and Brady is moving on.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Feb 27, 2020, 1:24 PM ET

Remove this Banner Ad

Back