Mega Thread 2020 Off-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
only the afl could put up submissions for their award, of which 2/3 shouldn't even be eligible (the ******* AFL publicly admitted Newnes shouldn't have been taking that shot, let alone the distance it was from, and you can't tell me Cripps only ran 15m without a bounce). fitting for the afl, 2 years after the goal of the year was given to a goal that shouldn't have counted anyway

Carlton are too busy trying to sign Martin to max contracts then overpriced Zac Williams. While veteran leadership retiring, with Cripps as captain.

Meanwhile we steal Aish for third rounder, Conca for a second/third with Acres in a throw in for Hill.
We do alright

Carlton are too busy trying to sign Martin to max contracts then overpriced Zac Williams. While veteran leadership retiring, with Cripps as captain.

Meanwhile we steal Aish for third rounder, Conca for a second/third with Acres in a throw in for Hill.
We do alright
Conca cost nothing other than salary cap. Which out of interest is what Carlton paid for Martin but a lot of cap space.

Aish was equivalent to late second round pick (ie late thirties). Bunch of pick swaps but cost us a future second with a future third back but we then also lost a Future fourth.

But you’re right these lower cost trades with players that can come in and contribute are well worthwhile.

I like the 2nd round Pick trades of Wilson and Brad Hill.

Also Rory Lobb was effectively an early third based on points:
11, 19 > Lobb, 14, 43, 47; Again a good trade for mine.

Hamling traded in for a pick around 36 on pts value.

Matera was similar value to Aish (early third) and you could argue that didn’t work out.

Not a fan of the late picks for spud depth like Kersten and Colyer.

Also I’d rather head to the draft with top 12 draft picks. Later first round happy to consider trade but these high cost trades involving early picks I’m not at all keen on.

I must admit I haven’t followed the WAFL as closely this year, but I have never heard of the Sandover Medalist. In any case, well done Samuel Fisher.

Sandover Medal Final Leaderboard

13 – Samuel Fisher (Swan Districts)
11 – Aaron Black (West Perth)
10 – Jackson Ramsay (East Perth)
9 – Jake Florenca (South Fremantle)
9 – Chris Masten (Perth)
8 – Kade Stewart (South Fremantle)
8 – Jye Bolton (Claremont)
7 – Tyler Keitel (West Perth)
7 – Alec Waterman (Claremont)
6 – Jesse Turner (Swan Districts)
6 – Kyal Horsley (Subiaco)
6 – Aidan Lynch (East Perth)
6 – Angus Scott (East Perth)
6 – Bailey Rogers (Claremont)
6 – Kane Mitchell (Claremont)
5 – Leigh Kitchin (Subiaco)
5 – Haiden Schloithe (South Fremantle)
5 – Cameron Eardley (East Fremantle)
4 – Luke Meadows (West Perth)
4 – Shane Nelson (West Perth)
4 – Corey Gault (Swan Districts)
4 – Lachlan Delahunty (Subiaco)
4 – Ben Howlett (Peel Thunder)
4 – Declan Mountford (Claremont)

I must admit I haven’t followed the WAFL as closely this year, but I have never heard of the Sandover Medalist. In any case, well done Samuel Fisher.

9 – Chris Masten (Perth)
Good to see Swans win something this season

Also- its about the only thing somebody from Carlton has won in 25 years ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unrelated topic but Geez Geelong is in a strong position. Currently top 4, they have 3 first round draft picks and are linked to Free agents Cameron, Viney & Crouch all of which they might get for nothing!

They’ve been predicted to fall for a long time but they’ll regenerate without spending any time down the bottom of the ladder.

Like them or not you’ve got to ‘tip your hat’ to them. That’s how list management is done.

Unrelated topic but Geez Geelong is in a strong position. Currently top 4, they have 3 first round draft picks and are linked to Free agents Cameron, Viney & Crouch all of which they might get for nothing!

They’ve been predicted to fall for a long time but they’ll regenerate without spending any time down the bottom of the ladder.

Like them or not you’ve got to ‘tip your hat’ to them. That’s how list management is done.
They have done well, and it is the gold standard but it has an end. The problem for them (as it will be for the Eagles) is that gun KPPs are hard to get outside the draft and even then, they take time. If they miss Cameron then Hawkins is 32 and they have nothing approaching his quality in reserve.

9 – Chris Masten (Perth)
Wow Kane Mitchell is still playing! What is he 103 now?
I enjoy going to the WAFL more than ever these days. Reminds me of simpler times and the footy is good to watch.

i suspect GC giving Rory Atkins a 4 year deal is a deal that may not age well

Do gold coast have extra in their salary cap as part of their last concessions?.

Otherwise reckon they're headed same way as GWS if they're not careful
Sure it's great to be handing out these deals to these players for experience but have too many on the books and it can make things tricky when their gun youngsters are up for renewal or you if have a couple of your not so highly rated players suddenly elevate their games to another level thus requiring an elevation in their contract price

https://www.afl.com.au/news/512432

What a fall from grace. Apparently Jade Rawlings was runner up to JLo to coach Freo, now out a job at the Kangas!

Yeah it is interesting, he had two years left to run on his contract too. I find the steep drop in the soft cap bizarre by the afl. I understand it, but make the decrease gradual over a few seasons.

We've now got the struggling clubs (Gold Coast, North Melbourne) all paying out coaches this year who are contracted. Essentially spending more this year to fit within the cap for 2021 and 2022 (without getting the benefit of their services). Additionally, it will also hurt those clubs more as they won't be able to recruit good senior people by offering more money. If you were a senior assistant, why would you join Gold Coast on a similar salary than at Geelong? It will widen the gap between the best and the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back