Analysis 2020 Onwards - Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

on the out
All good ideas... however, other than Moore being moved back (where he played a lot of his junior football) can you think of any other positional changes Bucks has made at senior level?
Whe back flank
Tried Howe wing
Rough head full back
Daicos wing

All good ideas... however, other than Moore being moved back (where he played a lot of his junior football) can you think of any other positional changes Bucks has made at senior level?
At senior level Mayne (wing), Greenwood (defence) and Elliott (midfield) are the only ones that come to mind. Roughead to full back too, but not sure if that was Buckley or the recruiting team.

At VFL level there's a couple attributed to Buckley - Mihocek as a forward, although he'd previously played forward at VFL level and T. Brown as a midfielder. Not sure who was behind sending Kelly forward.

I get your point though that players have been largely pigeon holed to one role.

First steps to rebuild is getting the list right.

Delist:
1.Beams
2.Scharenberg
3.Dunn
4.Varcoe
5.Greenwood
6.Reid
7.Thomas
8.Broomhead
9.Appleby
10.Wills
11.Cox

Trade Bait
1.Stephenson
2.De Goey
3.Phillips
4.Hoskin-Elliott
5.Sier

Now with the trade bait, i'm not saying that these 5 must go. I'm saying what can we get for these. Is their a football deal that makes sense that could improve the team. Swapping one or two for a key position player or two. If the deal doesn't make sense, then we keep these players.

With De Goey he is obviously talented and could become a star. But my thoughts are he doesnt deserve a contract more than $600k per season. If he prices himself too high, trade him on.
I would add Treloar to the mix

Try new positions
Could win us a flag or at least solve some issues

Magden on ball
Could he play as a large clearance beast
Quicker than wills
Did play as a guard in college basketball

Keene forward chf
Will get bagged for this but
He's big, he's rough, tell him to see ball and get ball

Whe
Half back flank release crisp or Maynard up field,might play harder with responsibility
Wilson wing
Certainly time for a sqiz
Sidey forward
Play Cox
play stepho

At senior level Mayne (wing), Greenwood (defence) and Elliott (midfield) are the only ones that come to mind. Roughead to full back too, but not sure if that was Buckley or the recruiting team.

At VFL level there's a couple attributed to Buckley - Mihocek as a forward, although he'd previously played forward at VFL level and T. Brown as a midfielder. Not sure who was behind sending Kelly forward.

I get your point though that players have been largely pigeon holed to one role.

Mayne played games on the wing for the Dockers and Roughead FB at the Bulldogs. What I meant to state was positional changes within the game.

I’m frustrated by things which we can easily control and therefore avoid: off field incidents, scandals and gaffes, caused by our own stupidity or carelessnes. Can’t be bothered listing them, we all know what they are, and they start at the top.

Surely, with all the talk of good culture, education, nurturing and support, we can do better at this. Brings so much unnecessary heat on the club, and undermines the hard work of the smart and the sensible.

The other major frustration is the number of players who’ve gone backwards - or stalled - in 2020. And all at the same time! Elliott, WHE, Cox, Roughy, JDG (until the Geelong game), Thomas, Treloar, C Brown, Grundy, Phillips, Schaz.

Not even counting the guys who are finished in Mayne, Varcoe, Beams, Reid, Broomy.

I know Moore, Maynard and Daicos are better than they’ve ever been, but they don’t compensate for the above. It’s a lopsided equation. In fact it’s so bad I’m surprised we’ve won any games at all!:mad:

Buckley, Sanderson, Rocca, Lockyer, Wells, Maxwell, Licuria, Tarrant, Prestigiacomo are all former players currently working for the club and Harvey has been there since Buckley's appointment. It's nepotism at its finest.

Buckley, Sanderson, Rocca, Lockyer, Wells, Maxwell, Licuria, Tarrant, Prestigiacomo are all former players currently working for the club and Harvey has been there since Buckley's appointment. It's nepotism at its finest.

It's a Boys Club down at Collingwood

The downward trend on the development of so many number of players is a major concern. You can recruit the best talent in the country but won't go far unless you keep them fit, injury free, hungry, and last but not least happy.

This group seems to have stagnated in that regard.

We can change the group or change the environment, or both.

I’m frustrated by things which we can easily control and therefore avoid: off field incidents, scandals and gaffes, caused by our own stupidity or carelessnes. Can’t be bothered listing them, we all know what they are, and they start at the top.

Surely, with all the talk of good culture, education, nurturing and support, we can do better at this. Brings so much unnecessary heat on the club, and undermines the hard work of the smart and the sensible.

The other major frustration is the number of players who’ve gone backwards - or stalled - in 2020. And all at the same time! Elliott, WHE, Cox, Roughy, JDG (until the Geelong game), Thomas, Treloar, C Brown, Grundy, Phillips, Schaz.

Not even counting the guys who are finished in Mayne, Varcoe, Beams, Reid, Broomy.

I know Moore, Maynard and Daicos are better than they’ve ever been, but they don’t compensate for the above. It’s a lopsided equation. In fact it’s so bad I’m surprised we’ve won any games at all!:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's much easier to hire friends than to sack them.

Especially if as custodian of said team it means you have to face reality about your own judgement about hiring them in the first place. House of cards.

Last edited:
The irony is that Eddie is too stubborn and prideful to instigate his own presidential succession plan.

This is why I’m in favour of term limits, because ultimately people who are involved at board level are fans, they wouldn’t be donating their time if they weren’t. Living out a dream of being the brains trust of a club you love can become intoxicating.

Living out a dream of being the brains trust of a club you love can become intoxicating.

I’d say addictive, and a habit nearly impossible to shake! Voluntarily anyway.

When the time comes for Ed, and it should be very soon, I hope there’s not too much bloodletting.

This is why I’m in favour of term limits, because ultimately people who are involved at board level are fans, they wouldn’t be donating their time if they weren’t. Living out a dream of being the brains trust of a club you love can become intoxicating.

It seems obvious now doesn't it? Almost everyone outside looking in can see the rot.

First steps to rebuild is getting the list right.

Delist:
1.Beams
2.Scharenberg
3.Dunn
4.Varcoe
5.Greenwood
6.Reid
7.Thomas
8.Broomhead
9.Appleby
10.Wills
11.Cox

Trade Bait
1.Stephenson
2.De Goey
3.Phillips
4.Hoskin-Elliott
5.Sier

Now with the trade bait, i'm not saying that these 5 must go. I'm saying what can we get for these. Is their a football deal that makes sense that could improve the team. Swapping one or two for a key position player or two. If the deal doesn't make sense, then we keep these players.

With De Goey he is obviously talented and could become a star. But my thoughts are he doesnt deserve a contract more than $600k per season. If he prices himself too high, trade him on.

You forgot for Trade Bait

Moore,
Sidebottom
c Brown

Playing Mihocek forward after drafting him as a defender?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back