Analysis 2020 Onwards - Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

except you leave yourself open to being told it’s time for you to step down.

That’s my point it’s the ultimate politicians answer.

John Howard used to say regarding succession, I serve at the parties pleasure, which is another way of saying, as long as I have the numbers I’m staying.

This is what bucks is saying here, it’s the board that decides what’s in the best interest of the club, so in other words he’ll step down when they decide he’s not the best person.

He’s just playing a straight bat and stating the obvious but in a nicely worded way.

That’s my point it’s the ultimate politicians answer.

John Howard used to say regarding succession, I serve at the parties pleasure, which is another way of saying, as long as I have the numbers I’m staying.

This is what bucks is saying here, it’s the board that decides what’s in the best interest of the club, so in other words he’ll step down when they decide he’s not the best person.

He’s just playing a straight bat and stating the obvious but in a nicely worded way.

The difference is Howard was in a position of ultimate power to influence the “numbers” in the party but Buckley is not. So Buckley has made himself far more vulnerable than he needed to by making the statement.

Which I think he recognizes, and hence has shown great integrity in making the statement.

The difference is Howard was in a position of ultimate power to influence the “numbers” in the party but Buckley is not. So Buckley has made himself far more vulnerable than he needed to by making the statement.

Which I think he recognizes, and hence has shown great integrity in making the statement.

How is it making oneself more vulnerable?

If he had attached performance indicators, that would make him more vulnerable, but as it stands it’s stating the obvious, if you get tapped on the shoulder it’s time to go.

Howard could influence the numbers against him by doing back room deals - an AFL coach can’t influence the club politics in the same way by doing deals in order to survive.

Being mates with the most powerful figure in the club would help.

But putting that aside, stating the obvious, which is, I’ll stay as long as I’m wanted, doesn’t make one more or less vulnerable.

Being mates with the most powerful figure in the club would help.

But putting that aside, stating the obvious, which is, I’ll stay as long as I’m wanted, doesn’t make one more or less vulnerable.

I think if nothing else, Bucks has shown himself to be genuine and that his (apparent) offers to firstly defer the succession plan, and more recently during the review to step away from the senior coaching position, should be seen in that context. Ultimately, it's the board that will make those decisions.

I think if nothing else, Bucks has shown himself to be genuine and that his (apparent) offers to firstly defer the succession plan, and more recently during the review to step away from the senior coaching position, should be seen in that context. Ultimately, it's the board that will make those decisions.

Agreed.

Bucks might not be the most adaptive match day tactician and at times his selections baffle me but he comes across as a man of integrity. If he says: "I'm willing to stand down", I believe him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back