2020 - Our 10th season in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
10 years in. What does that mean to you? Have you enjoyed it? Have you loathed it? What are your highlights? What are your lowlights? Are you optimistic about our future?

I want to know what these past 9 years have meant to you.

I’ve loved it. I went 14 seasons without an AFL team, after Fitzroy got the Khyber Pass. It feels great to belong to a club with a team in the Big League again. So what if we haven’t played Finals yet & other clubs are trying to poach our best players, even before we draft them. There’s nothing anyone could do to the Suns that could hurt more than the way Fitzroy was crucified. The Suns are here for the long-term & so am I.

I’ve loved it. I went 14 seasons without an AFL team, after Fitzroy got the Khyber Pass. It feels great to belong to a club with a team in the Big League again. So what if we haven’t played Finals yet & other clubs are trying to poach our best players, even before we draft them. There’s nothing anyone could do to the Suns that could hurt more than the way Fitzroy was crucified. The Suns are here for the long-term & so am I.
Would have been tough with fitzroy, even though I don't remember them myself. But didn't want to follow the merger? As a lot did.

But well said.

I can't contribute since I'm a first year fan, and they're not my primary club, but one I've come to love in the last 12 months.

I’ll try and be pithy because I’m watching Bathurst
1-as a League dude I learnt the sport is much more School Tie Rugby Union in Culture than I ever imagined.
2-the VFL media are the worst and most biased in world sport.
3-the school tie inbreds at VFL House could not run a chook raffle at an RSL.
4-Our Kids on the GC have been massively short changed by the VFL in what team they’ve been given, their childhood has been pure granite by hardly ever singing the team song and never once gone to a finals game.
5-there is something seriously demented in Victorian Young males whereby they struggle to man up to challenges and cry I need my mummy rather than grit their teeth and see things through.
6-I thought Brisbane people thought they had self-entitlement but the fans of the larger VFL clubs are next level when it comes to entitlement.
7-as a fan the euphoria you get when your team wins an AFL match is higher than in other sports due to how long a game takes to be played and the singing of the song etc.
8-Victorians are easily affected by the VFL media echo chamber. You could sell a Victorian anything at all if the message is repeated enough.
9-Tony Cochrane is a God of a man.
10-the amount of kids of both genders taking up this sport since 2010 is truly extraordinary.

Back to the race

1-as a League dude I learnt the sport is much more School Tie Rugby Union in Culture than I ever imagined.
4-Our Kids on the GC have been massively short changed by the VFL in what team they’ve been given, their childhood has been pure granite by hardly ever singing the team song and never once gone to a finals game.
5-there is something seriously demented in Victorian Young males whereby they struggle to man up to challenges and cry I need my mummy rather than grit their teeth and see things through.
6-I thought Brisbane people thought they had self-entitlement but the fans of the larger VFL clubs are next level when it comes to entitlement.
7-as a fan the euphoria you get when your team wins an AFL match is higher than in other sports due to how long a game takes to be played and the singing of the song etc.
8-Victorians are easily affected by the VFL media echo chamber. You could sell a Victorian anything at all if the message is repeated enough.
10-the amount of kids of both genders taking up this sport since 2010 is truly extraordinary.

Back to the race
North Korea's soccer team have won every world cup according to their media ;)

Back to the race
Happy with the race results boddsy??

Would have been tough with fitzroy, even though I don't remember them myself. But didn't want to follow the merger? As a lot did.

But well said.

I can't contribute since I'm a first year fan, and they're not my primary club, but one I've come to love in the last 12 months.
Hi Jen2310, I don't want to hijack this thread into a diatribe on the merger, so I'll try to be brief. No I didn't follow Brisbane Lions. Footy was a religion (or Royligion) to me & Fitzroy was my God. In 1996, I was told "Your God is now dead. Follow this God instead. They're not the same as your God, but they're the closest thing there is left". That wasn't very enticing, especially because the people telling me that were the same people who had for years been changing rules & whiteanting Fitzroy to deliberately put us out of existence. Anyway, you never know how you'll react to something like this until it happens to you, so I watched some Brisbane Lions games to see whether there was any spark for me. There wasn't. I was pleased they had some success, but it was like being pleased because my friend's team won. They weren't my team. Fitzroy rose again from the dead & now play in the Victorian Amateurs competition. I support them to some degree, but I missed having a team at the top level. When the Suns started, I was ready to follow AFL again & here was my chance to support a new team without the baggage of having played against my beloved Roys. I've been described as the ultimate existentialist football supporter. I follow 2 teams. Gold Coast has no past & Fitzroy has no future. I like that. I love both teams. I belong to 2 tribes, but there's no conflict there, because their lives never overlapped. They never played against each other. I know my favorite ever players, matches, goals & marks for Fitzroy will never be topped, because the Roys will never have any more players, matches, goals or marks. There's a sense of satisfaction in knowing that. My club is now complete. Yet I still have a team in the Big League. I still anticipate each new season. I look forward to the new things the Suns will do in the future. I have favorite moments & players with the Suns, but I know there could be better moments & better players ahead.

Hi Jen2310, I don't want to hijack this thread into a diatribe on the merger, so I'll try to be brief. No I didn't follow Brisbane Lions. Footy was a religion (or Royligion) to me & Fitzroy was my God. In 1996, I was told "Your God is now dead. Follow this God instead. They're not the same as your God, but they're the closest thing there is left". That wasn't very enticing, especially because the people telling me that were the same people who had for years been changing rules & whiteanting Fitzroy to deliberately put us out of existence. Anyway, you never know how you'll react to something like this until it happens to you, so I watched some Brisbane Lions games to see whether there was any spark for me. There wasn't. I was pleased they had some success, but it was like being pleased because my friend's team won. They weren't my team. Fitzroy rose again from the dead & now play in the Victorian Amateurs competition. I support them to some degree, but I missed having a team at the top level. When the Suns started, I was ready to follow AFL again & here was my chance to support a new team without the baggage of having played against my beloved Roys. I've been described as the ultimate existentialist football supporter. I follow 2 teams. Gold Coast has no past & Fitzroy has no future. I like that. I love both teams. I belong to 2 tribes, but there's no conflict there, because their lives never overlapped. They never played against each other. I know my favorite ever players, matches, goals & marks for Fitzroy will never be topped, because the Roys will never have any more players, matches, goals or marks. There's a sense of satisfaction in knowing that. My club is now complete. Yet I still have a team in the Big League. I still anticipate each new season. I look forward to the new things the Suns will do in the future. I have favorite moments & players with the Suns, but I know there could be better moments & better players ahead.
I love that! You explained it perfectly, and I totally understand. I actually live near fitzroy (funny enough, in Collingwood) and I knew there was history there. But thanks for explaining this to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I’m hearing that the suns are rebranding next year. If that’s the case, they might wear the 2011-2019 guernsey in their ‘10 Years Birthday Game’?
where are you hearing that? because i heard from mr evans himself that they're maintaining a similar design for at least the next 12 months.

To be honest the first 7 years the jersey just didn't work and the logo had that awful shading behind it but I think they've finally created a decent jersey for hom AND AWAY. Sidenote: What clown put white in our away jersey for 8 years

To be honest the first 7 years the jersey just didn't work and the logo had that awful shading behind it but I think they've finally created a decent jersey for hom AND AWAY. Sidenote: What clown put white in our away jersey for 8 years
Pretty sure the AFL mandated that one for a long while and only recently just relaxed the rule.

Could be wrong, Someone more in tune with things other than me can confirm or deny that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back