2020 Pakistan tour of England (3 Tests, 3 T20Is)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, I accept that. He'd struggle against the very top batters and not trouble them too much. But then I'm not sure Leach would tie them up in knots either. The truth is that England's spin bowling stocks are very low. We have a lot of 22-25 year olds with potential but no-one is really staking a claim. For a while Moeen did okay for us but he seems to have completely lost it. Leach has a better record than most but has health / injury problems. But, all things being equal, Bess and Leach will both be on the next tour anyway.

Fair enough, I accept that. He'd struggle against the very top batters and not trouble them too much. But then I'm not sure Leach would tie them up in knots either. The truth is that England's spin bowling stocks are very low. We have a lot of 22-25 year olds with potential but no-one is really staking a claim. For a while Moeen did okay for us but he seems to have completely lost it. Leach has a better record than most but has health / injury problems. But, all things being equal, Bess and Leach will both be on the next tour anyway.
I rate Leach over Bess in English conditions, and probably Australian conditions as well; Australia is an off spinner's graveyard. Bess - if he develops the required level of accuracy - could have a reasonable time in India, as sidespin is generally effective over there, and of late underestimation has caught up with India a bit at home.

33 is borderline, and only acceptable if he can turn it into something better and/or he's playing a role alongside the other bowlers. 2.5 runs an over isn't really good enough for a defensive spinner, either.

Woakes bowling beautifully here. Archer doing well too.

I'm not sure I agree with the commentary here. Sure, England could be bowling quite a bit better, but the two spin options aren't bad if you're trying a) to get through the overs quickly and b) trying to get the batsman used to slower bowling just before the second new ball, which can get you a wicket when you take it.

Sometimes, taking an over or two to reset the status quo is worthwhile. And they're actually making Root look pretty good.

Is Shan Masood a deadset spitting image of Dan Ricciardo or am crazy?

He's played very well btw.

Horror show from England since lunch. Undoing a lot of good work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Masood has done a heap of work with Gary Palmer who is also a mentor of Dom Sibley. They both have variations of his open stance that he's big on to stop batsman falling over to the offside.

You've got to say it's working.

Poor old Jos is piling the pressure on himself here. Ed Smith can't defend him forever.

That's one of the best innings by an opening bat I've seen for quite a while.

Sibley copped a beauty from Abbas as he was given out LBW by Richard Illingworth. Not a great review by Sibley either.

Stokes won't be stoked to be out for a duck, bowled by Abbas.

Sibley copped a beauty from Abbas as he was given out LBW by Richard Illingworth. Not a great review by Sibley either.

Stokes won't be stoked to be out for a duck, bowled by Abbas.

Root may have talked him into that review. Looked like Sibley mouthed “plumb” to me when they chatted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back