2020 Planning thread - a.k.a pre-season misplaced confidence and collective insanity

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theyve acquired frost and mcevoy has been training in the preseason for a defensive role, providing that's the case prior to round 1 i am backing him in at his low price

...but probably regret it immensely
I'm concerned that gunston may not be fit and sic will spend more time fwd. The recruits aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Titch looking like a work in progress and won't be back to full time mid, so worps stays there and the Chad needs some help up front

I'm concerned that gunston may not be fit and sic will spend more time fwd. The recruits aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Titch looking like a work in progress and won't be back to full time mid, so worps stays there and the Chad needs some help up front
I really wouldn't be, we moved him forward last season out of lack of other options but that has changed towards the back end of last season. With the emergence of Lewis and Timmy O towards the end of last season and the addition of Patton i think we are going to look really tall with Gunston in that mix. Not sure we would replace him with a like for like if he was not available.

1st crack at a team, not sold on it as I don't think I have enough $ bankrolled in the rookies should a couple of expensive ones bob up early.

Going with Grawndy, I've tried the cheaper R2 and always struggled to 1. generate points and 2. find the funds and trade to upgrade as there always seemed to be more important issues to deal with.

I've left myself with 9 rookies on field which might present problems in scoring enough to keep up with the crowd. I'm hoping that the 13 premos will be keepers, but anything more than a 2 week injury and they'll be gone, I held injured premos for too long last year and it cost too much in the end.

My main objective over the 1st 7 rounds will be cash generation, so I'll be chasing those high -BE's every round. After those rounds it'll be 1 up, 1 down (hopefully) and structuring up for the byes. By the end of the byes I'm hoping to have generated enough cash to have a 'full' team, well maybe 1-2 rooks left on field.

Let me know what youse all think.

*Edit....83k ITB

1st fantasy 20.1.GIF 1st fantasy 20.2.GIF

Last edited:

1st crack at a team, not sold on it as I don't think I have enough $ bankrolled in the rookies should a couple of expensive ones bob up early.

Going with Grawndy, I've tried the cheaper R2 and always struggled to 1. generate points and 2. find the funds and trade to upgrade as there always seemed to be more important issues to deal with.

I've left myself with 9 rookies on field which might present problems in scoring enough to keep up with the crowd. I'm hoping that the 13 premos will be keepers, but anything more than a 2 week injury and they'll be gone, I held injured premos for too long last year and it cost too much in the end.

My main objective over the 1st 7 rounds will be cash generation, so I'll be chasing those high -BE's every round. After those rounds it'll be 1 up, 1 down (hopefully) and structuring up for the byes. By the end of the byes I'm hoping to have generated enough cash to have a 'full' team, well maybe 1-2 rooks left on field.

View attachment 812869View attachment 812870
I like it, very guns and rooks outside of the obvious value picks. Not an awful lot that could go wrong with that team. I love the Williams pick if he keeps that midfield role, haven't seen many looking at him either so could be a decent pod. Also like the Oliver selection still only 22 (HOW IS HE STILL 22?) and with a full pre season should go to another level.

Really solid.

I like it, very guns and rooks outside of the obvious value picks. Not an awful lot that could go wrong with that team. I love the Williams pick if he keeps that midfield role, haven't seen many looking at him either so could be a decent pod. Also like the Oliver selection still only 22 (HOW IS HE STILL 22?) and with a full pre season should go to another level.

Really solid.
Oliver is basically the only top tier mid who's played all 22 games the last 3 seasons too. Very tempting to start with him in the hope he will just churn out constant tons and stay on the park. Same thought process with a bloke like Gaff

Isn't Wingard training with the mids?

Contemplating life without Titch. Liking Steele/Ross/Curnow...
Ross at that price is seriously tempting. My worry with the Saints is how their new additions affect the midfield rotations. Saints are a bit of an unknown for me at the moment as I just don’t know enough about them as a whole

My first crack at a team

Backs:
Crisp - Stewart - Docherty
Roberton - Young - Gould
Subs: Bianco - Starcevich

Mids:
Gaff - Oliver - Bont - Cripps
Titch - Rowell - Andersen - Pickett
Subs: Ruscoe and Mchenry

Ruck:
Grundy and ROB
De Koning as the sub

Forward:
Whitfield - Walters - Andy Brayshaw
Flanders - M King - Rankine
Subs: Mosquito and E Smith

Haven't decided on my utility yet but got about 200k for that.

I feel my forward line is atrocious but I'm just not sold on Dusty or Smith, and feel comfortable taking a punt on Andy Brayshaw.

Pretty happy with the back 6 although I'm definitely tossing up between Laird and Stewart.

In the mids I've avoided splurging on the uber premiums and gone for the consistent, durable performers, quite happy with M1-M4.

Had ROB last season and he was a saviour, now that he's the sole ruck I see real value there can't wait to see what he can do.

Have coughed up on the rookies so that I don't have to fiddle a great deal with my premos throughout the marsh series.

- I don't think there's much upside in Treloar, Grundy and Gawn but sometimes I have no qualms just paying up for consistent talent. Not every pick should be a value one, IMO.
Agree with this. I’ll go a step further and say upside in a $/point value sense can almost be taken out of the equation for ubers that are pretty much guaranteed to be top/near top of their respective positions. The upside you’re paying for are intangibles that can’t be measured in a $/point way. Stuff like no risk, knowing no trade will ever be required (barring injury) and already locking away players that others will most likely be chasing later is the upside you’re paying for.

That’s why I have no issue paying an extra 100k for guys like Treloar/Gawn and working around that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really solid.
Thanks man.

The most trouble I'm having is with the backline.
Lloyd is overpriced considering the way he finished off last year and is competing with Rampe and Dawson. Also got tagged.
Bachar is getting on and I don't trust his calf's to hold out all year.
Crisp could be one worth looking at
Laird's output has dropped.
Stewart has an interrupted preseason
Daniel is on the radar
Newman's role is a 'wait n see' with Doc back and SPS in the mix too.
Hurn, see Houli.

Titch is in for the moment, but I'll be watching closely on how he's going.

Contemplating life without Titch. Liking Steele/Ross/Curnow...
I'm actually thinking that if Titch doesn't play, I'll just save 90K and replace him with the guy who'll likely replace him - Wingard. That's my plan at the moment anyway

Sitting at F3 for me at the moment and won't move
Had him at F3, heard he hobbled off from a training session, swapped him for Bailey Smith, then heard he was back doing everything at training and now have him at M5. Will probably juggle him around to put him back into the forward line. Kinda want to keep Smith though. Might roll with 2 rooks forward and 4 in the middle.

Agree with this. I’ll go a step further and say upside in a $/point value sense can almost be taken out of the equation for ubers that are pretty much guaranteed to be top/near top of their respective positions. The upside you’re paying for are intangibles that can’t be measured in a $/point way. Stuff like no risk, knowing no trade will ever be required (barring injury) and already locking away players that others will most likely be chasing later is the upside you’re paying for.

That’s why I have no issue paying an extra 100k for guys like Treloar/Gawn and working around that.
Agreed. Perhaps anecdotal, but I find when I end up paying up for a guy (Grundy, ie) they don't often disappoint even if fully priced. But it's usually that discount pick that often leaves me short.

PAFC27 Thoughts on Ladhams? Will he play most games? Seemed to score well late in the season. I have ROB at R2 but was thinking either Ladhams at F4 or Lycett at R2. Trying to move things around a little to drum up a bit more spare cash and the Port rucks could be the answer, just not sure how exactly.

Thanks man.

The most trouble I'm having is with the backline.
Lloyd is overpriced considering the way he finished off last year and is competing with Rampe and Dawson. Also got tagged.
Bachar is getting on and I don't trust his calf's to hold out all year.
Crisp could be one worth looking at
Laird's output has dropped.
Stewart has an interrupted preseason
Daniel is on the radar
Newman's role is a 'wait n see' with Doc back and SPS in the mix too.
Hurn, see Houli.

Titch is in for the moment, but I'll be watching closely on how he's going.
Yup, the reason I have gone with Sicdog, Houston, Doc, Roberton plus two rookies.

Just can't see anyone else priced above those guys averaging 100+ so I'm happy to get 95 avg across my top 3 defenders for now and see how things go

*Edit....83k ITB

View attachment 812869View attachment 812870

Very solid team, with the exception of Brander who I think will be unsighted for a lot of this year again (lot of competition). Seeing as you've got cash, might as well go up to Hayden Young, who should play all 22 games at a rebuilding Freo. Either that, or down to Trent Rivers, who I'm hearing could line up Round 1; especially with the injury to Brayshaw. Lachie Ash another one, but I can't see him breaking into GWS' team straight away.

Also, consider saving yourself 20K and going down from Comben to De Koning, who should be a lock for Round 1 given how Carlton basically have no tall forwards at the moment.

Can't see Smith or Sturt getting early games, but you never know! Starcevich is competing with Ah Chee, who looks like he's sown that spot up too. Just some food for thought on your rooks :) Love your premo POD's though and your midfield will be scary!

I'm actually thinking that if Titch doesn't play, I'll just save 90K and replace him with the guy who'll likely replace him - Wingard. That's my plan at the moment anyway
That would make life easier for me! It would also create a few more PODs, so a bit more interest.

Most teams will have:
Titch, Dog, Robo, Rowell, Young,Grundy, Pickett, Whitfield and probably Cogs

2nd iteration (damn you Jack Steven)

Gawn out, Lycett in, allows me to go big in the midfield and do what I can up forward. Happy enough with everything but the forward line. Still looking at getting Andy Brayshaw in up forward, but he's a 'wait and see' during community series at this stage.

Briggs as utility and def/fwd which is always handy, plus it allows me to use the loophole if needed/can trade him out before full lockout as he's not a Carl/Rich player.

Hey Shadow,

It's me again :p Something must be wrong because I rate your team and we have a similar team on paper so far. I like the Dunkley, Houston and Ward selections. Only minute question mark would be Cripps. I think Cogs is much better but if you want a pod then sure.

View attachment 812825View attachment 812827

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back