2020 Planning thread - a.k.a pre-season misplaced confidence and collective insanity

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had me audibly laughing. Great post.

In other news how about Snelling ay

He didn't score horribly last year as a guy who only joined in halfway through, and was playing around half forward from memory. You'd think with a preseason under his belt and if he assumed a role similar to the SANFL he could be anything? I didn't catch the whole game tonight. Where did they have him playing most of the night?

I'm really struggling to find any defender premos that I like other than Houston and Doch (who don't actually classify as genuine premos yet). Can someone please convince me of why they have chosen their premo defenders
If you're looking for a premo, I'd suggest looking into Crisp.

Last year was my first year off since Chad Cornes was an amazing captain option and the DTTalk boys hit the sauce during their vids. I'm back. I'm back for the stress. I'm back for the distractions from my post-grad study. I'm back for the nights when my better half is asleep and it's 2am and I'm sitting on the balcony deciding which premo mid has a better fixture to finish the year. I'm back like a crackhead wanting a fix. Let's get it err'body.

And in saying that, I'm already so bloody stressed trying to figure out how my team will look for round 1.. Goddamn it :sweatsmile:
Welcome back mate.

Hey all. Been on hiatus for a bit so it's my first post in here for the year and hope everyone is trucking along nicely - both on and off the fantasy playing field. Looks like we've retained the usual suspects plus added a few more to the forum which is awesome. Here's to another year of frustration and subpar productivity at work.
And welcome back!

He didn't score horribly last year as a guy who only joined in halfway through, and was playing around half forward from memory. You'd think with a preseason under his belt and if he assumed a role similar to the SANFL he could be anything? I didn't catch the whole game tonight. Where did they have him playing most of the night?

It was weird. Commentators kept refering to him as a forward pocket player and having a good game up forward.

Yet I swear everytime i saw him he was in the guts. And every piece of play they commented on positively he was in the middle.

Would be interested to see the CBA counts.

I'm really struggling to find any defender premos that I like other than Houston and Doch (who don't actually classify as genuine premos yet). Can someone please convince me of why they have chosen their premo defenders
Can't help you too much brother, but maybe you can take some solace in knowing that I've been in the same boat all preseason. I've had Doch and Houston locked in, but after that it's been a revolving door (of mostly guys priced 550k to 650k). Probably against my better judgement, I haven't really considered Lloyd or Laird too much. H. Clark has made some appearances, B. Smith has found his way onto the park in the last week or so, Milera seems to get a spot for 10 minutes a week, and I'm not sure how but every now and then Witherden even sneaks in there for a moment or two. Sometimes I'll partake in a quick bout of wacky tabaccy fun (it's 2020 and I'm a student cut me some slack :sweatsmile:) and I end up putting a few of them in there with S. Hill along for the ride until I sober up and realise I probably shouldn't take that route. I've even considered having just Doch and Houston and then having Roberton at D3 and making the other lines stronger. It's the one area I'm struggling with the most at the minute. That's it I'm having another year off :tired:

Can't help you too much brother, but maybe you can take some solace in knowing that I've been in the same boat all preseason. I've had Doch and Houston locked in, but after that it's been a revolving door (of mostly guys priced 550k to 650k). Probably against my better judgement, I haven't really considered Lloyd or Laird too much. H. Clark has made some appearances, B. Smith has found his way onto the park in the last week or so, Milera seems to get a spot for 10 minutes a week, and I'm not sure how but every now and then Witherden even sneaks in there for a moment or two. Sometimes I'll partake in a quick bout of wacky tabaccy fun (it's 2020 and I'm a student cut me some slack :sweatsmile:) and I end up putting a few of them in there with S. Hill along for the ride until I sober up and realise I probably shouldn't take that route. I've even considered having just Doch and Houston and then having Roberton at D3 and making the other lines stronger. It's the one area I'm struggling with the most at the minute. That's it I'm having another year off :tired:

I’m hearing ya!

I may have a backline that currently looks like

Docherty, Houston, Cerra, S.Hill, Roberton, Gould.

99.9% sure I won’t go through with it for the season proper, but nobody else is really jumping out at me, bar a Hunter Clark or Smith.

Did have Crisp at D1 in my first team of the season, but I can’t seem to find my way back to a ‘true’ premo at D1.

So i see everyone has doch in there so why not his running mate simpson. Has everyone forgotten how they used to link up and just kick to each other back and forth. If doch is a must then why not simpson who is really cheap this year. Newman good option too but he is 100k more expensive.

So i see everyone has doch in there so why not his running mate simpson. Has everyone forgotten how they used to link up and just kick to each other back and forth. If doch is a must then why not simpson who is really cheap this year. Newman good option too but he is 100k more expensive.
if Carlton are serious...Simpson will make way at some stage - is my thought.

Simmo turns 36 this year, would be my reasoning. Not likely they'll turn back time to the structure of 3 years ago.

I’m pretty keen on Sicily this season. Bloke is maturing and I think could be past his suspension issues, will still play on the edge at times but use this energy positively. Durable player, has only missed games through suspension or impact injuries (broken bones) so isn’t as at much risk as guys who miss through soft tissue injuries like hammies. Was played out of position last season which hampered his scores, but due to the work the Hawks did at the trade table he should be back in a fantasy friendly role in 2018 he averaged 95 and some had tipped him to take that into the 100s in 2019 but with positional changes he fell to an average on 83 which leaves him at least 12 points underpriced this year. The bloke is a talent and wins plenty of his own ball, but the hawks also love it in his hands. Doesn’t mind the odd 60m bomb at the goals for a +9 either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmo turns 36 this year, would be my reasoning. Not likely they'll turn back time to the structure of 3 years ago.
* me didnt realise he was that old. Feel like a dinosaur now. Would love Newman but at that price its just not value at all. I think the best strategy would be then what everyone else is thinking. Put the money in other lines and let defense be your cheapies until someone shows up.

fu** me didnt realise he was that old. Feel like a dinosaur now. Would love Newman but at that price its just not value at all. I think the best strategy would be then what everyone else is thinking. Put the money in other lines and let defense be your cheapies until someone shows up.

I've got a sneaky POD in Joel Bowden on the bench too. I think he'll like the new kick-in rule.

Snelling seems like a classic Marsh red herring. He got some good middle time yesterday (Just from watching it) but surely only has a spot up forward for the season proper?

Too expensive at $420k.

Smith's role doesn't spark confidence tonight...moving up from half forward with brief stints around the ball. Looks like Parish, McGrath, Langford etc. getting more time on ball. Could be just because it's his first game back and seeing how the kids go, but if it's the same next week, he's another that's out from my forward line.
Still got 6 tackles. That is a positive coming back from injury. Means there isn't hesitation that you often see on return.

Snelling seems like a classic Marsh red herring. He got some good middle time yesterday (Just from watching it) but surely only has a spot up forward for the season proper?

Too expensive at $420k.
Yeh I doubt he'll play, even so, he'll likely score 60's as a small forward.

RE; Smith. Was hot on him but he seemed a bit quiet, but did score 60 i think in the second half. Think he was just phoning it in.

Also still like my Parish call. 104 from 65% TOG with FWD eligibility. He goes 90 IMO, and a more consistent/durable pick than Wingard at the cost of a slightly higher ceiling.

RE; Smith. Was hot on him but he seemed a bit quiet, but did score 60 i think in the second half. Think he was just phoning it in.

Also still like my Parish call. 104 from 65% TOG with FWD eligibility. He goes 90 IMO, and a more consistent/durable pick than Wingard at the cost of a slightly higher ceiling.

yep im on parish watch for the next game too. Could be a good POD to start the season

Bowden was the Jake Lloyd of the 2000’s

Still remember his filthy 180 in the backline. Such scores were unheard of in that era.

Racking up +6's.

EDIT: also interesting that a score of 2500+ in DT was unheard of back then.

Nowadays you wouldn't be too suprised to see a 2500 in Round 1.

Parish on my radar too, I’d argue ceiling though, has gone 100+ 5 times with a top of 114 in his four seasons. Was let off the leash a few times last year and only managed 100 and 105 from two 31 possession games. Seem to remember him being used as a tagged a couple times last year though, unless I’m confusing him with someone else?

Seb is in my side so rather than convince you I'll just give him a little plug myself for all those reading :p I know it's not fantasy relevant but based on AFL ratings - Seb Ross was the 4th best midfielder in the league from R19 onwards. I personally he can get back to his previous two year average of 105 which is a 10 point jump
Tell me more about Ross. I was big on him all pre season but have since cooled considering I don't really know how the Saints mids/backs are going to line up. That uncertainty has pegged him back for me a little. Still interests me though. Came home strong two years running from memory. Just seems to be lacking consistency and there's nothing more frustrating when your mid premium scores 60 one week and 130 the next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back