2020 Planning thread - a.k.a pre-season misplaced confidence and collective insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau_Waters for PM

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Coniglio has been coming back into consideration for me the last few days as his ownership has dropped to around 17%. I don't think the announcement of his apparent increased fwd split will really have much impact. I think it will be a very similar role to what he had last year where he would occasionally move forward and generally hit the scoreboard, resulting in a very high ceiling. Also taking on the captaincy this year I think this will be a positive for him and seems like the type of bloke who will enjoy the added responsibility. Has also looked to be scoring with ease tonight.

Also I haven't considered C.Mills once all pre season but has looked great from his limited game time tonight. I think a lot of people had him as a break out candidate over the last few years, but hasn't seemed to have a mention this pre season. Is this because of his role, or have people just gone cold on him?

Another thing to note on Mills is he is priced at $559k which is around the mark of Houston/Doch which places him awkwardly.

I've had Cogs in my side all preseason. Had him from Rd 1 in 2019 too. The main appeal for me is he is priced at 104 but that includes his 0 score. So he actually averaged 111 last season, which means if he can replicate last year we are instantly gaining 7ppg. That's gold for premos. You can make a case that he has historical injury niggles, but 2018 was solid and he's one I'm prepared to take the punt on.

Beau_Waters for PM

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
So this player can be substituded for a FWD, DEF, MID ....and RUCK ?
Think of the utility as an extra position of your choice, but you are confined to the actual positions of the player you select.

e.g. if you have say Brandon Starcevich as your utility he is DEF/MID, so you would be able to substitute him into your DEF or MIDS any week, or use him as an emergency for those positions.

That's my understanding at least.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Think of the utility as an extra position of your choice, but you are confined to the actual positions of the player you select.

e.g. if you have say Brandon Starcevich as your utility he is DEF/MID, so you would be able to substitute him into your DEF or MIDS any week, or use him as an emergency for those positions.

That's my understanding at least.
Best explanation I've had .... :thumbsu:

Apr 4, 2019
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Does anyone else feel as though that defenders are the most variable? Last year it was a bit of a mixed bag and a lot of the premium defenders were inconsistent at times. Crisp was good, but like some have alluded to you always felt unsure, Lloyd was solid but he fell off a cliff at the end, Whitfield isn't available any more, Laird couldn't be trusted etc.

It'll be interesting to see if Williams gets a run through the GWS midfield again with Cogs and the rest of the injured brigade back, and if Houli continues to seagull. Seems to be more questions than answers and I can't really settle on a defense I like. Might be willing to undercut my defense and focus on putting in players who will strengthen my other positions (ruck, mid, forward) whom I know what I'll be getting from them. Anyone got a similar problem and are willing to talk me out of a speculative mid price defensive line?

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On the contrary it may have nothing to do with how theyll play him...

Hardwick is his coach... why would he play him in the guts for a charity match when he can keep him safe deep forward where the fans like to watch him anyway?

I take the view that Dimma would still want to use this as a decent hit out for his players coming into round one. Especially with Lynch in the forward line for the Vics and another big forward in Cameron (Riewoldt would play his place) it gives some insight into how he may play this year.

I may be completely off the ball here but given the end of last year and what we saw last night, I think there’s enough indications that Dusty will spend a good amount of time forward

Tonche

All Australian
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Has anyone got a downloaded spreadsheet of all players, positions and recent year averages? I've been hunting around a bit and if anyone could help out, it'd be much appreciated. Bonus points if it has current injury status on it :p

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I know he’s a little injury prone, but geez Josh Kelly is tempting me. Could legit average 120+. Looked for as a fiddle last night. Only is 6% of sides. Anyone taking him?
Would love to.
My history with him is poor though. I was on him early in his career and he would get sent back to the NEAFL regularly or spend huge amounts of time on the bench.

And since he’s been a Fantasy star he has been injury prone. Was missing for three separate periods last year.

Was one of 4 or 5 premiums (Duncan and M Crouch being two others) that derailed my 2018 team because of early round injuries and I held him because it apparently wasn’t serious. A disaster.

But I would love to have him because he is a POD; he is a superior scorer and with Whitfield, Cogs and co. there probably won’t be tagged. Or not much anyway.

And, on the occasions when he is tagged, he seems to do ok because of his tackling.

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Does anyone else feel as though that defenders are the most variable? Last year it was a bit of a mixed bag and a lot of the premium defenders were inconsistent at times. Crisp was good, but like some have alluded to you always felt unsure, Lloyd was solid but he fell off a cliff at the end, Whitfield isn't available any more, Laird couldn't be trusted etc.

It'll be interesting to see if Williams gets a run through the GWS midfield again with Cogs and the rest of the injured brigade back, and if Houli continues to seagull. Seems to be more questions than answers and I can't really settle on a defense I like. Might be willing to undercut my defense and focus on putting in players who will strengthen my other positions (ruck, mid, forward) whom I know what I'll be getting from them. Anyone got a similar problem and are willing to talk me out of a speculative mid price defensive line?
I won’t talk you out of it. What you’ve outlined is basically why I’m starting with Houston at D1 and Doch at D2. Risky as * but I see question marks against all the premium defenders. Crisp and Laird are probably the exceptions but I feel the forward line is very vulnerable this year so I would rather spend a little extra across that line and go in with a weaker defence, especially with all the absolute value picks there. Too many to list, although a lot of them are probably only ‘potentials’

JADED

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
SA
AFL Club
West Coast
I know he’s a little injury prone, but geez Josh Kelly is tempting me. Could legit average 120+. Looked for as a fiddle last night. Only is 6% of sides. Anyone taking him?
I'd love Kelly & Coniglio in my midfield but "settled" on Taranto as he's most likely to play 22 games.
Might get lucky with Coniglio DPP forward. Wouldn't that be a gift...

Jul 25, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Has anyone got a downloaded spreadsheet of all players, positions and recent year averages? I've been hunting around a bit and if anyone could help out, it'd be much appreciated. Bonus points if it has current injury status on it :p

This is the DT Talk draft rankings, its got players, positions and the last three year averages on it. But no injury updates aha

Attachments

• DT-Talk-Draft-Rankings-2020-Feb-22.xlsx
    235.4 KB · Views: 11
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
What's the latest on Bailey Smith TedDougChris and other Dogs fans?
Likely to play most games? Sounds like HFF/mid rotation. Had good PPM in Marsh Cup game 1.

We have an intra club hitout today, while I won’t be there (live o/s), I will report back from those who do go

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United

I'm about to pull the trigger and get him in, only problem is one of Macrae and Dunkley will have to come out.

Beau_Waters for PM

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

Yep, at this stage I'm running with midprice madness in defence.

Apr 4, 2019
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
I won’t talk you out of it. What you’ve outlined is basically why I’m starting with Houston at D1 and Doch at D2. Risky as fu** but I see question marks against all the premium defenders. Crisp and Laird are probably the exceptions but I feel the forward line is very vulnerable this year so I would rather spend a little extra across that line and go in with a weaker defence, especially with all the absolute value picks there. Too many to list, although a lot of them are probably only ‘potentials’
Yep, at this stage I'm running with midprice madness in defence.

Yeah that's the positive affirmation I needed so I don't feel alone if the strategy goes south. Agree on the thinking for the forward line. A lot with upside whereas the defenders don't seem to have that forward line 'potential' that you touched on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back