2020 Planning thread - a.k.a pre-season misplaced confidence and collective insanity

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got to remember no Fyfe or Walters so someone is going to miss out on mid time when they play.
The word is that Cerra and Brayshaw are still looking at lots of midfield minutes even when those two are back.

Fyfe and Walters will likely split their time between there and the forward line.

I’ve gone back to ROB. Feel like it’s too much mucking around and too much stress having a cheap ruck
If fwd rookies pop up I will do the same but right now I can't take multiple 40s in the fwd line. R2 should be either ROB or right down to Naismith imo, I learnt today that Sauce is actually over priced.

If fwd rookies pop up I will do the same but right now I can't take multiple 40s in the fwd line. R2 should be either ROB or right down to Naismith imo, I learnt today that Sauce is actually over priced.
Totally agree re Sauce. Feel he’s 75-80 type of guy and you’d probably near get that from Naismith for much less of a cost

Also understand the call re the 40’s in the forward line. As it stands I’ll have Rankine or Budarick at F6, Chayce Jones at F5. I certainly wouldn’t want two of those speculative rookies on field but I think a Rankine/Budarick at F6 should be ok if you’ve got a solid F5

Watched the Giants v Swans game today - a few notes:

Find all of this Dawson love a bit odd, to be honest. Only picked up 19 possessions, with the seagull still to return and a game that was pretty much played mainly in the Swans' defensive half. Still scored a very respectable 97, but I'd be wanting 25+ and 120 with Lloyd out. Will be interesting to see next week how he goes with the King Gull stealing all his chips...ahem I mean possessions...

Watching Gould today (this should answer your question browncow ), I don't see him getting a gig based on that performance. If he gets selected again next week, then maybe. Pretty lacklustre and doesn't really offer much just yet. 10 possessions, 4 marks and 4 tackles 47 from 67% game time.

Green could be a solid choice, with Taranto looking likely to miss a big chunk of the season according to GWS medicos. Think Hately might be ahead, but Green does offer something different in the middle for them. Already showed glimpses of his immense talent today with two clever goals, 21 possessions and some clever footwork in the centre square (76 from 73% game time)

Caldwell didn't show much, and is probably behind both Hately and Green right now.

Flagged Hopper late last year as one to watch, and he's definitely improved again with another solid pre-season. Taranto going down will only increase his mid minutes.

Williams/Greene/Cogs could all also benefit from TT going down.

Stephens is a bust and will take some time to adjust to the speed of the game.

If Stephens was a bust, Warner was borderline useless - crossed off the list despite some PS hype.

Langdon could be an interesting choice up forward after missing most of last year, and thus only being 298K. Kicked 5 goals today and looked lively up forward with 15 possessions and 92 from 72% game time. Tough case to make though, with his lack of JS and crumbing forward role.

Ash looked good, but might take a while to get into things. 19 possessions (63 from 72% game time). If he gets named, will have solid JS as they like what he brings. 264K is a decent amount to pay for him though. One to watch very closely next match as rookies are getting thinner and thinner with each match.

Naismith with 67 from 55% game time showed some good signs, but albeit still against a rusty Sauce, and a newbie ruck in Briggs. Could see him scoring really poorly against half-decent rucks like Martin, Goldy, Witts, O'Brien etc (up against O'Brien first up). Will be interesting to see how he goes next week.

Think we'll have a much better idea by the end of next weekend, as it'll be far closer to full strength for most teams/we'll be able to see who's playing what roles.

Last edited:
Sauce Jacobs and Petracca
V
ROB and Cerra?

Would move Dawson forward if I went option 2

Pretty easy one here I reckon:

Jacobs 80
Petracca 85-100 max (if he gets substantial mid minutes)

vs

ROB 95-105
Cerra 80-85

= Jacobs & Petracca 165 min/180 max
ROB & Cerra 175 min/190 max

Jacobs looks like he'll probably go around 80 or so, and ROB should go around 100 or so as sole ruck. Cerra looks likely to go 80-85 based on his increased minutes. So with that said, Petracca would need to go 105-110 to make it worth it - cannot see him doing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrifying thought for all other teams to think that this Giants side has Cogs, J. Kelly, J. Cameron, Greene, Z. Williams, Whitfield, Ward and Haynes to come back into it. They've literally got Caldwell, Green, Hately and Ash as depth players right now.
Here’s a more terrifying thought..

There’s a team out there who beat those names by 15 goals last year :cool:

Ok - feedback from the Dogs intra club. Slightly less than ideal with three Dogs playing in the Bushfire game - so not quite full list to choose from in terms of match ups.

1. Libba is still a few weeks away - I'm not sure if he'll feature for the first month - or make any real meaningful impact.
  2. Wallis looked good as a forward, might be a sneaky draft choice if he keeps going.
  3. English was the standout ruckman - but we don't have a lot of ruck depth. He might have improved significantly (cant tell from here) but still get monstered by Gawn/Grundy etc. Still a potential R2 option though. Strong pack marking a feature and his goal kicking has historically been good. Against the best ruckman he might have the talent and mobility to hit the 90's in scoring - but it won't be on the basis of 40 - 50 hitouts at this stage, so he's a stepping stone to something better.
  4. Bailey Smith amongst the best - but no stats available.
  5. Weightman involved - but not likely to feature in Rd 1 at this stage, particularly with Wallis playing well up forward.
  6. West was good - but not great. Cavarra did a few nice things - but don't expect early games for him either.
So - unlikely we'll have any rookies of interest to start out the year - more likely the older, more experienced heads come into replace any injuries at this stage. But a few mid-pricers, such as Wallis, English and B Smith might be of interest.

As I said earlier in the year - it comes down to structure for us. The next Marsh series match will be very instructive.

Liked what I saw from Brayshaw. Seemed to be a constant in the midfield and racks up tackles without even trying which'll be handy for fantasy. Only thing that worries me is his ceiling. Will need to rack up the +6's if he's gonna actually be a keeper.

Not really confident in any other options around that price point though so I'll probably take the punt anyway.

Liked what I saw from Brayshaw. Seemed to be a constant in the midfield and racks up tackles without even trying which'll be handy for fantasy. Only thing that worries me is his ceiling. Will need to rack up the +6's if he's gonna actually be a keeper.

Not really confident in any other options around that price point though so I'll probably take the punt anyway.
I think a lot of our players will get better at find space for the uncontested marks given that seems to be how we want to play. It is not something we did a lot of under Ross so there should be room for improvement. Wonder if that includes Fyfe? 2-3 extra uncontested marks a game would make him pretty tantalising.

disappointed with florents performance last night. had high hopes but he didnt impress espically with some of the senior players out

Watching the U/23 Port V Crows replay... Harry Schoenberg is going to be a thing; get on when he gets picked. I'd have him in R1 if I was picking the Crows 22.

Had him in a few times instead of McHenry on my bench/field, but think it'll be a few games before he gets picked. It's annoying because he definitely seems like he's an accumulator and is one of the lower priced 'premium' rooks.

So - unlikely we'll have any rookies of interest to start out the year - more likely the older, more experienced heads come into replace any injuries at this stage.

This is something I'm really starting to notice for a lot of clubs this year, as clubs with a lot of depth look like they'll be playing returning players/last year's rooks before them. At this stage, these look the most likely rooks for Round 1 from what I can see:

Adelaide: McHenry, McAdam, C. Jones, Stengle, McAsey

Brisbane: Starcevich - though maybe still falls short given their depth

Carlton: Williamson - though maybe still falls short given their depth down back

Collingwood: T. Brown (named on field) looks like a decent chance to play Round 1. D. Cameron up forward a chance to move past Cox. Bianco a chance to be named given the LTI to Varcoe, though I think T. Brown ahead at this stage being named on field

Essendon: Townsend, though still maybe falls short

Fremantle: Serong

Geelong: Kennerley - though maybe still falls short given our depth

Gold Coast: Rowell, Anderson. Budarick a chance, but the Suns are building reasonable depth so a 'wait and see' in Week 2 of Marsh

GWS: Ash, Green (maybe, but the Giants depth is scary - so neither is a solid chance at this stage)

Hawthorn: N/A

Melbourne: K. Pickett. Trent Rivers a possibility but no guarantee

North Melbourne: Mahony, though no guarantee. Possibly a spot for Xerri up forward. Bonar a strong chance though quite pricey

Port Adelaide: Georgiades

Richmond: M. Pickett - biggest lock alongside Rowell. Collier-Dawkins, though no guarantee given the Tiger's depth

St Kilda: M. King

Sydney: D. Stephens

West Coast: Brander on a wing, though no guarantee given the Eagle's depth. B. Williams an outside chance in a FWD/RUC role

Western Bulldogs: N/A

Realistic pre-season prospects crossed off the list based on Week 1 Marsh/injuries/not being named:

Warner
H. Young
Cavarra
Bytel
Kreuger
C. Stephens
S. Flanders
Gould
McLennan
Ling
Koschitzke
Okunbor
Cahill
E. Smith
Taheny
T. De Koning
Hosie
M. Hibberd (Essendon)
Maginness
Sharp
Mead
Bergman
Bennell
Cockatoo
D. Robertson
Caldwell

I know a lot of rooks get named Round 1 that are unexpected, but I genuinely do think this may be a year where there really are slim pickings on offer, given the unique trade period/draft scenarios that have resulted in most clubs being fairly equal across the board when it comes to depth and personnel. May actually have no choice but to go with a bit of 'mid-priced madness' if this continues.

Last edited:
This is something I'm really starting to notice for a lot of clubs this year, as clubs with a lot of depth look like they'll be playing returning players/last year's rooks before them. At this stage, these look the most likely rooks for Round 1 from what I can see:

Adelaide: McHenry, McAdam, C. Jones, Stengle, McAsey

Brisbane: Starcevich - though maybe still falls short given their depth

Carlton: Williamson - though maybe still falls short given their depth down back

Collingwood: T. Brown (named on field) looks like a decent chance to play Round 1. D. Cameron up forward a chance to move past Cox. Bianco a chance to be named given the LTI to Varcoe, though I think T. Brown ahead at this stage being named on field

Essendon: Townsend, though still maybe falls short

Fremantle: Serong

Geelong: Kennerley - though maybe still falls short given our depth

Gold Coast: Rowell, Anderson. Budarick a chance, but the Suns are building reasonable depth so a 'wait and see' in Week 2 of Marsh

GWS: Ash, Green (maybe, but the Giants depth is scary - so neither is a solid chance at this stage)

Hawthorn: N/A

Melbourne: K. Pickett. Trent Rivers a possibility but no guarantee

North Melbourne: Mahony, though no guarantee. Possibly a spot for Xerri up forward. Bonar a strong chance though quite pricey

Port Adelaide: Georgiades

Richmond: M. Pickett - biggest lock alongside Rowell. Collier-Dawkins, though no guarantee given the Tiger's depth

St Kilda: M. King

Sydney: D. Stephens

West Coast: Brander on a wing, though no guarantee given the Eagle's depth. B. Williams an outside chance in a FWD/RUC role

Western Bulldogs: N/A

Realistic pre-season prospects crossed off the list based on Week 1 Marsh/injuries/not being named:

Warner
H. Young
Cavarra
Bytel
Kreuger
C. Stephens
S. Flanders
Gould
McLennan
Ling
Koschitzke
Okunbor
Cahill
E. Smith
Taheny
T. De Koning
Hosie
M. Hibberd (Essendon)
Maginness
Sharp
Mead
Bergman
Bennell
Cockatoo
D. Robertson
Caldwell

I know a lot of rooks get named Round 1 that are unexpected, but I genuinely do think this may be a year where there really are slim pickings on offer, given the unique trade period/draft scenarios that have resulted in most clubs being fairly equal across the board when it comes to depth and personnel. May actually have no choice but to go with a bit of 'mid-priced madness' if this continues.
Harry Jones looks to be very much in contention for a round 1 spot for us. Was very close last season before injury and looks to be competing very well with our senior mids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back