Resource 2020 planning thread - mistakes, corrections, research and projections

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts onHugh McCluggage? 13 scores of 90+. Has risen his average every year by 15 odd points. Coming into his 4th year at a good young side. Could go 105
Absolutely keen on him going in to the pre season, looks to have put on some size as well which could possibly mean some more on ball time? Just not sure if they need him in the guts at all. Not normally a fan of picking full time wingmen but this guy is a special talent. Big time watch going in to the Marsh games.

Absolutely keen on him going in to the pre season, looks to have put on some size as well which could possibly mean some more on ball time? Just not sure if they need him in the guts at all. Not normally a fan of picking full time wingmen but this guy is a special talent. Big time watch going in to the Marsh games.
Predicted average?

Keen on McCluggage & (maybe) Berry from Bris this year.
I'd have almost definitely picked McCluggage if they didn't go after C.E.Y
Now I'm not sure what Brisbane intend to do with their midfield.
It's a case of preseason watch (and hope)

I just cannot pick a decent forward line. No matter what I try, the next day I want to vomit. It's Whitfield then daylight.

It’s bad hey? I’ve gone Whit, Dusty, Steven and then 3 rookies but not comfortable. I’m comfortable with Dusty, but who knows what Steven will do and the rookies are always a lottery
I just dont like Rankine in there. Feels like he will be 240k after week 8 scoring consistent 40s and ill wish i didn't pick him

Last edited:
Dusty will likely have a slow start to the year then will become a top 6 forward.
Stevens should improve based on his history but depends on his role. No Kelly leaves a hole he could fill.
Smith played injured all last year so if he is over that then he is top 6.

After them its picking a breakout for top 6 forward.

Dusty will likely have a slow start to the year then will become a top 6 forward.
Stevens should improve based on his history but depends on his role. No Kelly leaves a hole he could fill.

This year is just screaming pick Heeney which is bloody depressing. So many players up in the air.

I've not starting Dusty. His record v Carlton isn't great either

This year is shaping up to be really good in terms of POD’s. noticing a lot of different players in teams. With so much uncertainty over the forward lines, people are going different ways there. Some are going Gawn, some Jacobs, some a Lycett/ROB. There’s 15-20 premo mids that are all good options. The backline also has many different options and some nice POD’s are forming there

Obviously Grundy, Whitfield, Docherty, Titch will just about be in most sides, but after that it gets interesting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gone cheap in defence: don't like Lloyd this year (to begin with anyway). I do like Daniel, Crisp, Sicily and if he has a mid role, Z Williams, but at this stage I have given myself captaincy options and value. I would love to have J Kelly, Taranto, Merrett, Dangerfield, Gibbs, E Curnow, R O'Brien, maybe Brayshaw, maybe Lipinski and maybe Zorko. My (long) shortlist has 100 names on it at the moment, so I am far from settled.

As I've said before: until we have the final group of rookie priced players to sort through, the structure of our teams (well, mine anyway) is up in the air. I will just fill in the gaps after the cheapies are in place.

Toby Greene is totally dependent on a mid role of some sort. If he is looking like a permanent forward then it could be Martin or Steven or Lipinski or, or...

Team 1.png

RE: Forwards.

I really like Ziebell as a semi-unique option. He's a great player and can pump out massive scores. Although some games, he disappears and ends on a 40. Do any North fans think he's a good pick?

Also Parish - went 79 last year and 86 without his injury affected game. More midfield time could see him push a 90 average. Probably wouldn't start with him, but at this stage, he's invited to pre-season training.

Greenwood is another interesting one. He's a JLT (or whatever it's called) watch.

I really like Ziebell as a semi-unique option. He's a great player and can pump out massive scores. Although some games, he disappears and ends on a 40. Do any North fans think he's a good pick?

Also Parish - went 79 last year and 86 without his injury affected game. More midfield time could see him push a 90 average. Probably wouldn't start with him, but at this stage, he's invited to pre-season training.

Greenwood is another interesting one. He's a JLT (or whatever it's called) watch.
I guess like a lot of players, if I knew Ziebel was full time mid he would be a great pick.

I guess like a lot of players, if I knew Ziebel was full time mid he would be a great pick.
Yeah true. Shaw did play him mainly as a mid and his scoring improved under him. But he still pump out a fair few stinkers. Greene is another one I would love to have, but dependant on his midfield time.

Houston but Clark would be a way bigger POD
I’ve got both at the moment
One thing I wan't to try and avoid this year is starting with premium midfielders who will likely be target of a tag most weeks. Nothing annoys me more than settling in to watch a game and someone is hanging off your bloke all game. Can we start to compile a list of premo mids who will attract a tag most weeks and those who will run freely. I'll start us off with a few off the top of my head

Tag: Cripps, Sloane, Sidebottom, Neale
No tag: Crouch brothers, Dunkley, Treloar, Taranto, Gaff
I went through the draw last year up until round 10 looking at who would affected most by tags and decided Sloane would cop it the worst: 7 or 8 out 10 games. Turns out he hardly got tagged at all and cost me about 200 points to that stage by not having him.
Apart from B Crouch, Sloane, purely on his history was the best value player last year but overthinking it cost me plenty
Zerrett started to cop it a bit last year, more than he has previously. I think Kelly is now the prime tag target at the eagles. Port I'd imagine it would be Boak after his 2019 form. Matt Crouch could be a very good POD this year - his finish to 2019 was better than anyone
Was going to mention Merrett and T Kelly and also (from the next post) Whitfield. Fingers crossed that Bont cops it mostly at the dogs. He should really.
Don't forget Whitfield at GWS too is a prime target, as well as Laird who got a bit of attention at the Crows in the last few years.

I'd say Titch will attract attention this year too

Yeah true. Shaw did play him mainly as a mid and his scoring improved under him. But he still pump out a fair few stinkers. Greene is another one I would love to have, but dependant on his midfield time.

Might be our bomber bias but I quite like him aswell only due to such poor Forward line options

Avg 87 after round 10 (excl injured game) - That's close to keeper status. The problem is even though the Don's don't have a great top end midfield they have plenty that go through there.

Heppell, Zerrett, Shiel, Dev Smith, McGrath, Zaharakis, Stringer, D.Clarke, K.Langford (Hibberd, Cutler and Townsend)

Dev Smith might impact him a little

Also Parish is consistent but his ceiling is terrible. Has only gone over 105 twice in his career of about 80 games and that was back in 2017

I still think he's Essendons best onballer so he'd be my first picked inside mid for me at the club. If the coaches see it that way or not is the question

Last edited:

Yeh don't mind it again he might be the best of the bad batch. Wonder what he avg under R.Shaw?

But again I reckon North have close to the best depth of pure onballers so it sees him pushed to full forward and that's when he gets his 40s

Cunnington, Higgins, Ziebell, Ben Jacobs, (Returning), LDU, Simpkin, Tyson, Jed Anderson, A.Hall, Ahern, (Bonar)

Yeh don't mind it again he might be the best of the bad batch. Wonder what he avg under R.Shaw?

But again I reckon North have close to the best depth of pure onballers so it sees him pushed to full forward and that's when he gets his 40s

Cunnington, Higgins, Ziebell, Ben Jacobs, (Returning), LDU, Simpkin, Tyson, Jed Anderson, A.Hall, Ahern, (Bonar)
Other than Higgins, he's their best mid still. A lack of forwards is the problem IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back