Preview 2020 Player Previews

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo bleeds against the giant teams, its almost as if he relishes the David/Goliath syndrome, whereby he wants to poke them in the eye. Win the unwinnable. Which epitomises his career.

Absolute foundation block of Carlton character.

Kennedy seems to be good at snagging a goal given the opportunity. Doesn’t butcher too many. On the downside, he looks cart horse slow.
Not sure of his contractual situation but needs a good season

Sorry BlueAbroad, but your standards are starting to slip.....I noticed a few hairs out of place in this clip, well below your usual standard.....lift man, liiiiift!!!

Seriously, I'm just jealous with my half-arsed buzz cut....again, great analyses.

I totally agree with your assessment of Kennedy - basically he plays predominantly as a mid in the NB's, obviously with the view that the club sees him as a mid, not a forward. Our deficiencies in the forward half though through form and injury have necessitated his role as a makeshift forward, which he's done reasonably well at times.

But unless he can take the step as a 'bigger' body mid who can extract the pill from stoppages on a consistent basis, I can't see him being on the list longer term. There is too much young talent waiting in the wings to perform that role for him to keep his spot on the list.

I fear that 2020 will be make or break for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is an interesting one. If you are thinking that Matty needs to be rested then that opens the opportunity for Pinup or TDK.

But what about resting Matty in game by using Levi as the starting ruck (bit out of the box thinking).
Levi gives us coverage all over the ground and has improved his ruck skills last season and I see him being in the '22' week in week out.
IF we did go that way then why have Pinup?

Great assessment.

Richmond and the Bulldogs have successfully rested Martin and Bontempelli forward.

However, in saying that, we've got Harry, Charlie, Mitch and potentially JSOS all in the one forward line. We've got enough marking players down there, even if one or two of them are resting on the bench.

Whilst he probably can play forward, I'm a big advocate for playing players in their best position :)

Simpson has been a premium defender in the competition for over a decade.
I can't imagine a Carlton team without Simpson but I think we need to find someone to replace him before the end of the year.
Doc, SPS, Willow, Newman, Newnes, Stocker, Cottrell, Ramsay, and not discounting Philp and Honey to get an audition. Think we have this one covered.

I have to disagree with you on Kennedy. I think it's very much a make or break year for Kennedy. If he cant have a big preseason and a big season, I think he be cut by years end. I do agree with you that he needs to an inside midfielder that can rest forward. I would like to see him average over 20 touches and 1 or 2 goals a game. I think he can do it if he can keep his body right.

Simpson has been a premium defender in the competition for over a decade.
I can't imagine a Carlton team without Simpson but I think we need to find someone to replace him before the end of the year.

Willo tit Willo tit Willo

Although I am quite comfortable SPS being in that role as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back