Player Sponsorship 2020 Player Sponsorship - BigFooty Hawks including Payment details

Remove this Banner Ad

Over and done for another season. Thankyou all... we are now proud and paid-up player-sponsors of Conor Nash and James Cousins for 2020 !

Details of player-sponsor events and various goodies you're all in the running for will be posted in new threads as the season progresses.

Over and done for another season. Thankyou all... we are now proud and paid-up player-sponsors of Conor Nash and James Cousins for 2020 !

Details of player-sponsor events and various goodies you're all in the running for will be posted in new threads as the season progresses.

Thanks again Garf !!

Well here we are, it's June and the Hawks remain undefeated ! Who would have thought !?!

It's been a weird old season, and year, however things are still ticking away in the background. Today I received our two signed HFC guernseys, and two player-sponsor scarves that look simply amazing. These will be going out to four lucky player-sponsors shortly. Winners will be announced next week.

Of course, the main event, the player-sponsor dinner and mingle sadly has been cancelled. We'll see how the situation progresses during the rest of this year. If I'm optimistic, I'd give it a 1% chance of happening at all.

In its place though, HFC have organised trivia/games evenings via webchat services. Our event was held this evening and our lucky attendee was harliquin !
From what I could tell, small groups of players and sponsors would meet and mingle via electronic means. Besides our two sponsored players, I was notified that Ben Stratton and Jaeger O'Meara would also be in attendance.

Was Pin The Tail on a certain ruck coach an event ?

Thanks Garf!

It was a fun event. Lots of interaction with the players on the call - Stratts, Jaeger, Cousins and Nash (with special comments from Glass). Reevesy even popped in to say hi.

Over the course of an hour and a half they hosted a hawthorn quiz (dominated by Jaeger who we suspect had help from Professor Google) and a web based game of Pictionary.

If there is one thing more tragic than people's drawing skills in regular Pictionary, It's their drawing skills when forced to use a mouse. Hilarity definitely ensued.

It's a great way to see players when they are 'off'.

I had a great time. Thanks again!

Props to Sophie - she was a fantastic host.

Winners are grinners........

What a strange time we live in. I guess we all have stories to tell and mine is very brief - I've had four jobs so far this year ! :)

As a result I've been a little tardy in getting prizes out to people, until now. Winners have been notified and their goodies will be sent out shortly.

While it's been a tough time, I can't load enough praise on the Hawthorn Events team for keeping things working, despite the difficulties. Worth their weight in (brown and) gold.

Also... my deepest thanks to everyone who supported the HFC player-sponsor program this year. I'm very proud of you all, despite the oddness and uncertainty that the year has provided. Let's hope the world is a more normal place in 2021.

Finally - stay safe, and best wishes to you and your families and loved ones.

Now to the fun part....... the winners are:

3 votes...... C. Judd

11 Nash guernsey - wherearemykeys

46 Cousins guernsey - streetspirit

HFC Player-Sponsor scarf - Fulgent

HFC Player-Sponsor scarf - Big Hotdog

Congratulations to all, and thanks again to everyone for their support this year.

Garf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is one final event for player sponsors !

It's a Zoom chat with at least six players on Thursday 17th September from 6:30 pm.

As it took two weeks to arrange a participant last time, I'll throw this one out into the open ! If you are a 2020 Player-Sponsor and have the ability to Zoom chat, and you are available at the above time, PM me your interest and I'll draw a winner early next week.

Thanks, and good luck !

Update: conflicting info on the start time. It's either 6:30pm or 7:30pm. I have asked HFC for clarification.

This would be a great opportunity for overseas or distant interstate player-sponsors to take part ! What an opportunity for your kids to even take part... I know we in Vic can't exactly have the neighbourhood visit at the moment....

I'll post more details including participating players (Jaeger plus a few others) when the start time is confirmed.

Update: conflicting info on the start time. It's either 6:30pm or 7:30pm. I have asked HFC for clarification.

This would be a great opportunity for overseas or distant interstate player-sponsors to take part ! What an opportunity for your kids to even take part... I know we in Vic can't exactly have the neighbourhood visit at the moment....

I'll post more details including participating players (Jaeger plus a few others) when the start time is confirmed.
I think overseas and interstate sponsors should get preference. It is a good suggestion

The inbox is empty and the event isn't far away !

HFC office closed, no reply re start time. If interested please be available from before 6:30 pm just to be safe.

Players involved are Jaeger, McEvoy, Shields, Gunston, Breust and Will Day.

Said it a few times now, but I'll say it again! Thanks so much for this opportunity, Garf!

Very much looking forward to it and I'll try and summarise as best I can afterwards.

Came up with a long list of questions, but will see how many I can get in :p

3-2-1 votes for Grand Final flag celebrators?

Funniest unreported ‘Angry Clarko’ story?

Are they going back to Victoria post-season? Or going to travel elsewhere, depending on borders?

More freakish talent – Buddy or Cyril?

Jaeger – Is Tony Cochrane as big of a d*ckhead as he comes across? And how close were we to getting Cogs?

Shiels – As an underrated player yourself, who would you say was a player as part of the flag years that never got the credit they deserved?

Day – Regarding the draft process, did any clubs ask you any really curly questions that you weren’t prepared for? And would you share any?

Day – With your Hawks connection, did the club give you much indication of their interest?

Day – In underage carnivals moving through the system, who were some of the players that were ‘freaks’ the whole way along?

Best sledge you’ve ever heard or dished out?

Toughest opponents?

Who’s a player that is actually a great bloke, but comes across as a flog? And vice-versa, a bloke that seems like a great bloke but is actually a flog?

Mcevoy – Backman or Ruckman next year?

Best off-field Stratts story? And what do you see him doing post-footy?

Day – What was Clarko’s reaction to Josh Morris’ mullet?

Day – Where do you see your final position?

Jaeger – In your opinion, why didn’t Gold Coast work from the beginning? Not enough spending on player welfare? Poor coaching/culture, Senior players were basically all a bust, bar Ablett etc?

Xavier Ellis on his podcast talks about being a notorious member of the ‘fat club’ at the beginning of pre-season year after year. Have the Hawks had any of those besides X?

What would you be doing if you weren’t playing footy?

Was there ever a time where you didn’t think you’d make it to the AFL?

Said it a few times now, but I'll say it again! Thanks so much for this opportunity, Garf!

Very much looking forward to it and I'll try and summarise as best I can afterwards.

Came up with a long list of questions, but will see how many I can get in :p

3-2-1 votes for Grand Final flag celebrators?

Funniest unreported ‘Angry Clarko’ story?

Are they going back to Victoria post-season? Or going to travel elsewhere, depending on borders?

More freakish talent – Buddy or Cyril?

Jaeger – Is Tony Cochrane as big of a d*ckhead as he comes across? And how close were we to getting Cogs?

Shiels – As an underrated player yourself, who would you say was a player as part of the flag years that never got the credit they deserved?

Day – Regarding the draft process, did any clubs ask you any really curly questions that you weren’t prepared for? And would you share any?

Day – With your Hawks connection, did the club give you much indication of their interest?

Day – In underage carnivals moving through the system, who were some of the players that were ‘freaks’ the whole way along?

Best sledge you’ve ever heard or dished out?

Toughest opponents?

Who’s a player that is actually a great bloke, but comes across as a flog? And vice-versa, a bloke that seems like a great bloke but is actually a flog?

Mcevoy – Backman or Ruckman next year?

Best off-field Stratts story? And what do you see him doing post-footy?

Day – What was Clarko’s reaction to Josh Morris’ mullet?

Day – Where do you see your final position?

Jaeger – In your opinion, why didn’t Gold Coast work from the beginning? Not enough spending on player welfare? Poor coaching/culture, Senior players were basically all a bust, bar Ablett etc?

Xavier Ellis on his podcast talks about being a notorious member of the ‘fat club’ at the beginning of pre-season year after year. Have the Hawks had any of those besides X?

What would you be doing if you weren’t playing footy?

Was there ever a time where you didn’t think you’d make it to the AFL?
If you can get a straight, honest answer to some of these questions then you'd be the best journalist in the footy world - which is a low bar, but still. Look forward to reading your report.

Just finished the zoom session with some of the guys and wanted to thank Garf again for organising the BigFooty player sponsorship this season and for giving me this opportunity tonight :)

I'll summarise as much as I can.

It was hosted by Daniel Harford and there were about 20 others on there with me. Two players appeared at a time and answered questions that we fans had posted in the chat box (for those that know their way around Zoom) and Harf would pick some questions to get answered.

Needless to say that many on my long list of questions were left unanswered lol

Gunston and Breust were first:

Started talking about the great careers of Stratts and Poppy. They said that Sam Mitchell and Will Day were the biggest pests in the hub.

What would you have done differently in the hub if you could go back to the beginning: "Win!" - Gunston lol

Punky: Probably try and embrace the change a bit more, as they were originally told that they'd be in the hub for up to 32 days, then now it's blown out to almost 3 months. Did mention that no one had been moved around as much as the Hawks.

Regarding captaincy ambitions: Punky - None. Gunston - Would be happy to be in the leadership group and if that was what the club wanted, he would do it. But did say there were a lot of young leaders at the club that would be able to do it.

Mcevoy and Jaeger next:

Regarding playing defence or ruck: Found it an invigorating challenge playing defence after getting beat up in the ruck for 12 years. (Sounds like that's continuing)

Both players prefer the longer quarters, with longer breaks between games.

Jaeger: Has leadership ambitions and if the club and gave him the opportunity, he would be honoured to lead.

Brisbane and Richmond their tips for the flag (who cares lol)

Finally, Day and Shiels:

Day: Gunston and Punky took him under their wing when he was first drafted and he lived with them prior to entering hubs. Stratts and Sicily the biggest influences for him onfield.

Shiels: Talked about Clarko saying "the biggest growth can come from the toughest times" and that they feel like this year will galvanise the group more.

Shiels told a good story about Clarko playing his guitar this year and that one night when they were still in Perth that Liam was staying on the same floor as Clarko and he was playing his guitar at 11 at night and he had to text him to shut up lol

I managed to get a couple of my questions for Day to answer:

RE Curly draft questions etc he talked about how one club (didn't name them) put out 3 random objects and he had to pick one and tell them why. He picked up a spikey massage ball, but didn't reveal why. Said there was also a TV remote there.

I asked him what he saw his eventual position as.

Day: "Played as an inside mid in juniors, so when I put more weight on, I hope to get back in there, using my height to my advantage." (Cue Fyfe comparisons!)

That's it in a nutshell!

A great experience :)

Capture.JPG

Note there were many others on here but condensed it to this lol

Just finished the zoom session with some of the guys and wanted to thank Garf again for organising the BigFooty player sponsorship this season and for giving me this opportunity tonight :)

I'll summarise as much as I can.

It was hosted by Daniel Harford and there were about 20 others on there with me. Two players appeared at a time and answered questions that we fans had posted in the chat box (for those that know their way around Zoom) and Harf would pick some questions to get answered.

Needless to say that many on my long list of questions were left unanswered lol

Gunston and Breust were first:

Started talking about the great careers of Stratts and Poppy. They said that Sam Mitchell and Will Day were the biggest pests in the hub.

What would you have done differently in the hub if you could go back to the beginning: "Win!" - Gunston lol

Punky: Probably try and embrace the change a bit more, as they were originally told that they'd be in the hub for up to 32 days, then now it's blown out to almost 3 months. Did mention that no one had been moved around as much as the Hawks.

Regarding captaincy ambitions: Punky - None. Gunston - Would be happy to be in the leadership group and if that was what the club wanted, he would do it. But did say there were a lot of young leaders at the club that would be able to do it.

Mcevoy and Jaeger next:

Regarding playing defence or ruck: Found it an invigorating challenge playing defence after getting beat up in the ruck for 12 years. (Sounds like that's continuing)

Both players prefer the longer quarters, with longer breaks between games.

Jaeger: Has leadership ambitions and if the club and gave him the opportunity, he would be honoured to lead.

Brisbane and Richmond their tips for the flag (who cares lol)

Finally, Day and Shiels:

Day: Gunston and Punky took him under their wing when he was first drafted and he lived with them prior to entering hubs. Stratts and Sicily the biggest influences for him onfield.

Shiels: Talked about Clarko saying "the biggest growth can come from the toughest times" and that they feel like this year will galvanise the group more.

Shiels told a good story about Clarko playing his guitar this year and that one night when they were still in Perth that Liam was staying on the same floor as Clarko and he was playing his guitar at 11 at night and he had to text him to shut up lol

I managed to get a couple of my questions for Day to answer:

RE Curly draft questions etc he talked about how one club (didn't name them) put out 3 random objects and he had to pick one and tell them why. He picked up a spikey massage ball, but didn't reveal why. Said there was also a TV remote there.

I asked him what he saw his eventual position as.

Day: "Played as an inside mid in juniors, so when I put more weight on, I hope to get back in there, using my height to my advantage." (Cue Fyfe comparisons!)

That's it in a nutshell!

A great experience :)

View attachment 963934

Note there were many others on here but condensed it to this lol
Thanks for the write up.

Re: Day's curly draft question with 3 random objects. I recall that exact kind of situation being mentioned by another draftee from a previous year and they named the club. I remember thinking at the time that that kind of wanky s**t would be expected by that club and their lack of success. I believe it was Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back