Universal Love 2020 Positivity Thread

I mean I kinda expect our best player to perform to a high level
Went to another level this season with next to zero support. Have to remember that this is the worst Melbourne side he's played consistent games in as the number one ruck, and comes off the back of an offseason of people across the footy community and this board saying he's "soft". Bounced back from the prelim in a big way.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like how positivity is an off-season affair for us.

and comes off the back of an offseason of people across the footy community and this board saying he's "soft". Bounced back from the prelim in a big way.

Theres no question that he is mentally fragile, take round 1 as an example, Port maybe him look silly. Amazed more teams didn't do it themselves after seeing how well it worked for Lycett in consecutive games against him. Luckily for Max though there was no point in bothering to try and put him off his game with physical pressure when were the second biggest easy beats in the comp..why bother when you know you will win regardless?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Went to another level this season with next to zero support. Have to remember that this is the worst Melbourne side he's played consistent games in as the number one ruck, and comes off the back of an offseason of people across the footy community and this board saying he's "soft". Bounced back from the prelim in a big way.
Another level? He was pretty good last year aswell. If anything Port exposed him at the start of the year and everyone gave up on it when they realised they could just turn up and beat us anyway.

Another level? He was pretty good last year aswell. If anything Port exposed him at the start of the year and everyone gave up on it when they realised they could just turn up and beat us anyway.

EDIT: Didn't realise I'd get A11dAtP0w3R on the same hook

Wat?I don't get it?

Are you saying that you agree that he is mentally fragile?

Or is this just one of G2Bs "victories" that aren't actually victories at all?

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Theres no question that he is mentally fragile, take round 1 as an example, Port maybe him look silly. Amazed more teams didn't do it themselves after seeing how well it worked for Lycett in consecutive games against him. Luckily for Max though there was no point in bothering to try and put him off his game with physical pressure when were the second biggest easy beats in the comp..why bother when you know you will win regardless?
As it’s the positivity thread I’ll say it’s positively ridiculous to be bagging Max Gawn as soft on the evidence of one bad game, he’s our best and most important player will more than likely win his second b&f and is in the AA squad having already been selected twice and is arguably the only player on the list who can hold his head up this year

As it’s the positivity thread I’ll say it’s positively ridiculous to be bagging Max Gawn as soft on the evidence of one bad game, he’s our best and most important player will more than likely win his second b&f and is in the AA squad having already been selected twice and is arguably the only player on the list who can hold his head up this year

So 0/2 when the heat is applied means nothing?

I'm not saying he's not a good player or our best player, is it too hard to comprehend and seperate the two?

I'm not saying he's not a good player or our best player, is it too hard to comprehend and seperate the two?

He had an awesome individual performance against Brodie Grundy on Queen's Birthday: 34 disposals (19 contested), 33 hitouts, 10 clearances and 5 inside 50s. Grundy probably shaded him in Round 21, but neither was dominant.

He had an awesome individual performance against Brodie Grundy on Queen's Birthday: 34 disposals (19 contested), 33 hitouts, 10 clearances and 5 inside 50s. Grundy probably shaded him in Round 21, but neither was dominant.

Did Grundy openly target him? There's a difference between a physical ruckman and teams going out of their way to be a nuisance and put him off his game.

It's me and Topkent on an island obviously...the only one who can understand where I'm coming from...#spiritanimal

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
No one thinks Gawn isn't an incredible player but his and the teams performance in the prelim and then round 1 under physical pressure was pathetic.
Did Grundy openly target him? There's a difference between a physical ruckman and teams going out of their way to be a nuisance and put him off his game.

It's me and Topkent on an island obviously...the only one who can understand where I'm coming from...#spiritanimal

Apparently everyone on our list is perfect and has nothing to work on. Reflected in our ladder position

No one thinks Gawn isn't an incredible player but his and the teams performance in the prelim and then round 1 under physical pressure was pathetic.

Apparently everyone on our list is perfect and has nothing to work on. Reflected in our ladder position

It's 100% the coach's fault, the all time favourite scapegoat of fans. And while I agree Goodwin shares a decent chunk of the blame, fans blindly ignoring their favourite players deficiencies drives me insane.

What do you mean by 'heat applied'? Port in rd 1 literally got half their side to snipe him - and the AFL came out afterwards IIRC and said that it was totally unacceptable. West Coast just went at him all day with two in form rucks and he was as tired as the rest of our list. They beat him fair and square, but it was miles away from Port. WCE were just tougher all round that day. You can't say those are the only two occasions Gawn was targeted. He is targeted every week in one way or another, but teams were told that sniping him behind play when his back was turned was not on. Besides, that was more of an issue for his gutless teammates that day who refused to stand up for him.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hore has been a massive find for the club.

Fritsch has been excellent up forward.

Frost has in general been pretty good for the team down back (he stood up when it counted a few times). His chaos is getting better.

May and Lever will be awesome for this team.

I also see Hunt up forward as well he looks like a good kick and with his pace can get clear for lead ups quite nicely.

I think that there is promise in playing Gawn in the ruck then resting him down forward (with Pruess filling in for ruck duties).

Pruess looks like he needs a good pre-season and forward training then 2019 could be a big year for him.

C.Wagner has performed well enough to show 2019 could be his big year.

The last few rounds with JKH and he looked competent again 2019 could be his year (never been a big fan, but he looked cool and competent).

Jetta should be back in 2019.

What do you mean by 'heat applied'? Port in rd 1 literally got half their side to snipe him - and the AFL came out afterwards IIRC and said that it was totally unacceptable. West Coast just went at him all day with two in form rucks and he was as tired as the rest of our list. They beat him fair and square, but it was miles away from Port. WCE were just tougher all round that day. You can't say those are the only two occasions Gawn was targeted. He is targeted every week in one way or another, but teams were told that sniping him behind play when his back was turned was not on. Besides, that was more of an issue for his gutless teammates that day who refused to stand up for him.

The AFL didn't suspend anyone from memory so it couldn't have been too bad. Gawn short arming that ball was one of the more gutless/embarrassing acts I'd seen since Pedo did likewise several years ago.

The teammates not standing up for him part, I agree with you 100% there. Pathetic by our bunch honestly.

He got physically targeted against West Coast in Perth this season and on Sunday and still turned in two of his best games of the season. Topkent bringing up every week that he's 'soft' because of a two game sample size from 12 and 6 months ago despite not being able to watch games live (though I'm lobbing up two televised interstate examples here to make it easy) and seeing that it happens constantly even if the media got bored of harping on about it and Gawn has still had his most statistically dominant season is just not right.

Last edited:
Oh ok apparently master full trolling is saying something and having someone disagree with you. Cool beans
It's not a disagreement when you're wrong, it's me educating you. It's a troll insofar as I baited you into being blatantly incorrect publicly once more but yes I take very little pleasure from such a routine exercise, it's true.

The other thing I find amusing is how supporters change a narrative to suit their story, .. remember how we were the ones physically targeting the opposition the year before and putting the fear of God into players and everyone loved it (as they should) but when the boots on the other foot "bunch of snipers" etc etc..... Try and remain objective please.

The other thing I find amusing is how supporters change a narrative to suit their story, .. remember how we were the ones physically targeting the opposition the year before and putting the fear of God into players and everyone loved it (as they should) but when the boots on the other foot "bunch of snipers" etc etc..... Try and remain objective please.
You're literally the only one that's described anyone as a "bunch of snipers". And you can't claim the high ground on changing narratives if you seriously believe that Gawn has only been targeted twice in the last 12 months.

You're literally the only one that's described anyone as a "bunch of snipers"

Way to read 👍

What do you mean by 'heat applied'? Port in rd 1 literally got half their side to snipe him - and the AFL came out afterwards IIRC and said that it was totally unacceptable.

Back