News 2020 Pre-season - New and Improved after Rd 1 with Rd2 in June. ***

Remove this Banner Ad

"....Steven the cut-price replacement whose best football is as damaging as West Coast-bound Tim Kelly...."

I don't think so, Jim.

Hes won 4 bnfs while getting tagged for a reason. His best is as damaging as TK. The question is at 30 and with his issues will we see that best or does he turn out like Mitch Clark.

Hes won 4 bnfs while getting tagged for a reason. His best is as damaging as TK. The question is at 30 and with his issues will we see that best or does he turn out like Mitch Clark.

One big difference between Clark and Steven that I can see is that Steven has family support down here. Don't think Clark had any.

One big difference between Clark and Steven that I can see is that Steven has family support down here. Don't think Clark had any.
Another differences dare I suggest is that I believe Steven wants to play and with Clark I'm not so sure if he necessarily wanted to play or it was more-so just wanted to play for the highest bidder

Don't forget that before Clark joined Melbourne, he was apparently only wanting to go back to WA so he could be closer to family - then Melbourne put in an offer & he chased the money

Another differences dare I suggest is that I believe Steven wants to play and with Clark I'm not so sure if he necessarily wanted to play or it was more-so just wanted to play for the highest bidder

Don't forget that before Clark joined Melbourne, he was apparently only wanting to go back to WA so he could be closer to family - then Melbourne put in an offer & he chased the money
Please don't do this concerning mental health, there are way too many factors that differ between the individual.

Please don't do this concerning mental health, there are way too many factors that differ between the individual.

There's nothing in my post the refers to challenges faced by either player surrounding their mental health struggles

And I'm well aware of issues regarding the mental health struggles that individuals go through and that how one person deals with their issues will differ from another, and that there's no one easy "solution/remedy" - I know this from 4-years of studying psychology at uni, plus my own personal struggles, along with that of others I know

There's nothing in my post the refers to challenges faced by either player surrounding their mental health struggles

And I'm well aware of issues regarding the mental health struggles that indubitable go through and that how one person deals with their issues will differ from another, and that there's no one easy "solution/remedy" - I know this from 4-years of studying psychology at uni, plus my own personal struggles, along with that of others I know
Right but the 2 players you specifically mention both have mental health issues

However much study you've done, unless you've been in their position you do not know.

Right but the 2 players you specifically mention both have mental health issues

However much study you've done, unless you've been in their position you do not know.
I also quoted a post which discussed both players, and that post had quoted another post in which both players were discussed - hence why my post was referencing the players being discussed. Would have been kinda weird if I quoted a post and then started talking about Danger and Shuey

And again, my post is not referencing the mental struggles of either player - surely we are allowed to discuss the positives and negatives of players past & present, even those who have/are struggling with mental health issues; or is it a case that once a player has gone public with mental health issues they can only be discussed in a positive manner?

As I also said, I have my own person struggles and (un)fortunately, I know plenty of others who have dealt with their own struggles also

And I'm still not sure what any of this has to do with my original post - which had nothing to do with the mental health struggles of either player

Yep...... On the face of it, there seems to be more 'resolve' about Steven than there appeared to be with Clark.

Let's hope he breaks through the barrier.

I also quoted a post which discussed both players, and that post had quoted another post in which both players were discussed - hence why my post was referencing the players being discussed. Would have been kinda weird if I quoted a post and then started talking about Danger and Shuey

And again, my post is not referencing the mental struggles of either player - surely we are allowed to discuss the positives and negatives of players past & present, even those who have/are struggling with mental health issues; or is it a case that once a player has gone public with mental health issues they can only be discussed in a positive manner?

As I also said, I have my own person struggles and (un)fortunately, I know plenty of others who have dealt with their own struggles also

And I'm still not sure what any of this has to do with my original post - which had nothing to do with the mental health struggles of either player

Mental health is a term that surrounds a person with immunity once used. No-one dares discuss or question it, and especially not with any negative connotation.

And it's amazing what can happen once an individual becomes a full-time athlete and how much being able to focus on their sport versus external career & sport can help them develop their game. And it seems that a second pre-season is very much helping Atkins with that:

Atkins’ rise has coincided with the transformation of his body from that of a part-time footballer to a professional athlete, something not lost on Dangerfield.

“When Tommy first arrived at the club, he was obviously in our VFL program for a while which is different to an AFL one because it’s a full-time gig in the AFL, he had an accountant’s body and now I think he has a footballer’s body,” Dangerfield says.

“It’s nothing against accountants,” he continues with a smirk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Atkins has a good, productive season, if for nothing else the cultural impact it could have on the younger and on the brink players. Here's a guy who was given an opportunity that he clearly has dreamed about and relishes, and has responded to so proactively. Need all players to feel this way, no complacency; desperation, ambition, and just a bit of cockiness.

Unsurprised to see that video mention more midfield time for Atkins - think he played his best footy there, like Parfitt seems to be able to create space in congestion. It's also interesting how much they mentioned his improved fitness, maybe that will improve his output up forward?

And then Geelong supposedly helped his partner get into a course at Deakin....

Atkins is a depth player at best, a list clogger at worst
And hes pretty bloody good at doing it so far.. let’s hope it continues. Not everyone is gonna be a rd1 pick and star at all the champion data categories.
I’ll take a balanced team with some hard nut 1%er defensive types over the team full of me me me types everyday day of the week thanks

Go Catters

Unsurprised to see that video mention more midfield time for Atkins - think he played his best footy there, like Parfitt seems to be able to create space in congestion. It's also interesting how much they mentioned his improved fitness, maybe that will improve his output up forward?
He could be a tagger that we badly need, if his fitness has improved he could be a great inclusion in the middle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back