News 2020 Pre-season - New and Improved after Rd 1 with Rd2 in June. ***

Remove this Banner Ad

If we want to be serious about winning a premiership we need to cut the crap and build a premiership side.

Danger
Selwood
Miers
Blicavs
Stewart

Delist the rest
ummmm ok...

And whom pray tell takes the other 39 spots?

GO Catters

If we want to be serious about winning a premiership we need to cut the crap and build a premiership side.

Danger
Selwood
Miers
Blicavs
Stewart

Delist the rest

So ummm, who plays full forward or is Miers expected to be the key target up forward

And if you seriously believe delisting 39 players & starting from scratch is going to get us closer to a premiership side, might as well move on Selwood & Danger as both would be long retired before the side built from scratch would even be competing for anything other than the wooden spoon

So wrong on O'Connor he has pace and will be a first in best 22 next year

Totally agree with you Drunkcat - now that he's learnt to lock down a player I think he will have a lot more licence to run off and create this season.
He's developing very nicely , hope Okunbor is on a similar pathway :)

To win a spot though he has to play tougher. For mine, too often, he relies on the deft touch when the full body behind the ball is called for.
True. Lack of repeat effort seemed an issue as well.
Some talented players find it hard at the top level where skill often isn't enough. The question with Parsons might just come down to old fashioned ticker...

True. Lack of repeat effort seemed an issue as well.
Some talented players find it hard at the top level where skill often isn't enough. The question with Parsons might just come down to old fashioned ticker...
More a confidence issue. Ticker is not, imho, the issue
Like fearing the retribution of errors leading to getting dropped.

In a soccer analogy, and nobody here likely knows or cares, but a classic example is Anthony Caceres, who now with Sydney FC is thriving, and demonstrating his undoubted skills and pace, but whilst in Melbourne, was out > in.
We don't often see players leave Geelong and go elsewhere and it really hurts us; in fact, hard to name one unless Caddy is included. And I'm not saying Parsons will be that player, but for his and our sake, I hope his 2020 leads to a new contract with US.

If you want a chuckle compare his record to Cockatoo. Polar opposites in how they are regarded on this board; very little difference in actual output.

I think it is possible to judge a player's natural ability in the time the are on the ground in AFL company. Cockatoo when playing seemed to me to be naturally talented - he shows a lot.

Parsons had to work much harder minute by minute in the AFL, just to get involved. But he does get involved and so far has shown a little.

Judging by numbers overall ie. game/career averages they look alike but to my eye they are quite different.

If Parsons had Cockatoos injury problems he would have been gone at end of year 2. If Cockatoo had Parsons injury history he would be one of the first picked each week.

I think it is possible to judge a player's natural ability in the time the are on the ground in AFL company. Cockatoo when playing seemed to me to be naturally talented - he shows a lot.

Parsons had to work much harder minute by minute in the AFL, just to get involved. But he does get involved and so far has shown a little.

Judging by numbers overall ie. game/career averages they look alike but to my eye they are quite different.

If Parsons had Cockatoos injury problems he would have been gone at end of year 2. If Cockatoo had Parsons injury history he would be one of the first picked each week.
Good post.
But totally different players also.
Parsons was asked to fill the void of injured players like Cocky- he is just not an explosive small forward.
He is more a hbf/ winger with a knack for kicking goals.
And as far as injuries go, he did miss his draft screening camp due to a nasty foot injury, hence got drafted as a rookie, then a similar injury or reinjury forced him to miss his first season with us. So he has had to bounce back from that.
If Cocky was fit, would he not be more like a Dangerfield?
Whereas if Parsons was playing to his potential, he'd be more like a Mackie imo.

Good post.
Parsons was asked to fill the void of injured players like Cocky- he is just not an explosive small forward.
And as far as injuries go, he did miss his draft screening camp due to a nasty foot injury, hence got drafted as a rookie, then a similar injury or reinjury forced him to miss his first season with us. So he has had to bounce back from that.
Whereas if Parsons was playing to his potential, he'd be more like a Mackie imo.
I would of liked to have seen Parsons on a HBF towards the end of last year.
Could of been handy there if he showed something. We had too many talls for mine.

If you want a chuckle compare his record to Cockatoo. Polar opposites in how they are regarded on this board; very little difference in actual output.

Polar opposites in how they are regarded on this board, by the club and in the wider football community. And rightfully so. I suspect you know this but remain insistent on being obtuse and snide in a lot of your commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could of been handy there if he showed something. We had too many talls for mine.
Parsons is 190 cm, not short, but a very good mover. Agree, an ideal hbf, or in the good old days, a winger.

Polar opposites in how they are regarded on this board, by the club and in the wider football community. And rightfully so. I suspect you know this but remain insistent on being obtuse and snide in a lot of your commentary.

They have both played about 35 games- Cocky in 5 seasons, Parsons in 3.
In this case, I think he is pretty genuine. He does see Cocky as being hugely overrated given his actual output, whereas Parsons has probably delivered at least as much in his 35 games.
Parsons is slightly up on disposals, about equal on goals. There is nothing in it, and if you're a stats purist, Parsons just wins.
So the hype about Cocky needs to become a reality this year, as much as Parsons needs to have a great season.

I feel that we've had a habit in the past of guys playing in the VFL where they are either best suited for the VFL or their best position full stop, but when they are then asked to step up to play AFL they will do so in a different position

Parsons in the VFL will likely rack up 20/25 disposals & kick a goal each week if he's playing through the middle. But in reality he's not likely to play as a full time mid when elevated to the seniors; so it's kind of a disservice to him to play as one in the VFL.

I'd rather see him play off the HBF in the VFL and getting 15/20 disposals per match, as he's then in a role that he's more likely to transition into in the AFL, if he's elevated

Good post.

I am on board with Parsons but he is fighting an uphill battle this year with what looks like greater depth on the list. For him it is this year or never.

When I first saw him in the VFL I was very upbeat after seeing some of his deft touches and creative moves. Full of confidence in his first few games at AFL level he was OK but he was being played as a small forward and he fumbled a few chances below his knees which a natural forward would gobble up. His confidence dropped dramatically but because there was no one else (because of injury?) he was selected when that was the last thing he needed. He was awful in those last few games and that is what most people remember I think.

Back in the VFL playing on ball last year he got back in to stride - not outstanding but lots to like. He was rewarded with some games in the AFL and did OK overall (his last game v Swans was pretty good - when the side was spluttering)

footywire
YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2019​
Cats
4​
11.2​
4.2​
15.5​
4.0​
0.8​
0.5​
2.2​
0​
1.0​
1.2​
0​
3.8​
3.0​
2.2​
2.0​

So he has another season to step right up. As I have said a few times I think he needs to straightline some 50/50 balls this year. Grunt.

I feel that we've had a habit in the past of guys playing in the VFL where they are either best suited for the VFL or their best position full stop, but when they are then asked to step up to play AFL they will do so in a different position

Parsons in the VFL will likely rack up 20/25 disposals & kick a goal each week if he's playing through the middle. But in reality he's not likely to play as a full time mid when elevated to the seniors; so it's kind of a disservice to him to play as one in the VFL.

I'd rather see him play off the HBF in the VFL and getting 15/20 disposals per match, as he's then in a role that he's more likely to transition into in the AFL, if he's elevated
Agreed.
Despite his natural ability as a hbf, mid, they saw something in him to try him as a goal kicking option.
And his first 2 games were pretty sensational- 21 and 18 possessions, and the 2 goals v Hawks offset by the Hodge suspension.
He has still had some serviceable games there, but it's hard enough for a natural small forward to perform there, let alone a ring-in.

They have both played about 35 games- Cocky in 5 seasons, Parsons in 3.
In this case, I think he is pretty genuine. He does see Cocky as being hugely overrated given his actual output, whereas Parsons has probably delivered at least as much in his 35 games.

Find me 1 person that would take Parsons over Cockatoo. Anyone at all.

No one is rating Cockatoo based solely on the 34 games he has already played. He has been mostly injured and had no continuity whatsoever. He is being rated based on the obvious level of talent that he has shown from a very limited sample size. His speed, athleticism, power etc. Partridge knows that, you know that and I know that.

It's funny we got onto Parsons via look at Simpson. I wonder really what they think of Parsons this year, or whether he has his exit papers virtually stamped.
I hope not. Can see him making it on a list as he is a natural footballer more than an athlete, yet he has some real athletic attributes.
I am biased, admittedly, but I'm hoping this is the breakout year.

Find me 1 person that would take Parsons over Cockatoo. Anyone at all.

No one is rating Cockatoo based solely on the 34 games he has already played. He has been mostly injured and had no continuity whatsoever. He is being rated based on the obvious level of talent that he has shown from a very limited sample size. His speed, athleticism, power etc. Partridge knows that, you know that and I know that.

2020 will reveal the truth of your assertion, as BOTH players need to perform to their true potential. But you show me one single game where Cockatoo has delivered this innate talent you describe, over 4 quarters. Both players have had a 3 goal game.
Cocky had a 7 tackle game, Parsons best is 5.
That is his point, I believe, that the expectation of Cocky is beyond anything he has really delivered. The fruit just has not been ripened.

2020 will reveal the truth of your assertion, as BOTH players need to perform to their true potential. But you show me one single game where Cockatoo has delivered this innate talent you describe, over 4 quarters. Both players have had a 3 goal game.
Cocky had a 7 tackle game, Parsons best is 5.
That is his point, I believe, that the expectation of Cocky is beyond anything he has really delivered. The fruit just has not been ripened.

Cockatoo hasn’t delivered on his talent over 4 quarters. Not once. I never said he had though and it’s so far away from the point I was trying to make that I’ll end the conversation here.

Cockatoo hasn’t delivered on his talent over 4 quarters. Not once. I never said he had though and it’s so far away from the point I was trying to make that I’ll end the conversation here.

Fair enough.
As you say though, not one supporter will select 34 ahead of 5.
If they both perform to expectations this year, we will be a very good team.

I am on board with Parsons but he is fighting an uphill battle this year with what looks like greater depth on the list. For him it is this year or never.

When I first saw him in the VFL I was very upbeat after seeing some of his deft touches and creative moves. Full of confidence in his first few games at AFL level he was OK but he was being played as a small forward and he fumbled a few chances below his knees which a natural forward would gobble up. His confidence dropped dramatically but because there was no one else (because of injury?) he was selected when that was the last thing he needed. He was awful in those last few games and that is what most people remember I think.

Back in the VFL playing on ball last year he got back in to stride - not outstanding but lots to like. He was rewarded with some games in the AFL and did OK overall (his last game v Swans was pretty good - when the side was spluttering)

footywire
YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2019​
Cats
4​
11.2​
4.2​
15.5​
4.0​
0.8​
0.5​
2.2​
0​
1.0​
1.2​
0​
3.8​
3.0​
2.2​
2.0​
So he has another season to step right up. As I have said a few times I think he needs to straightline some 50/50 balls this year. Grunt.
Agree with this. I backed Parson's upgrade from Rookie to main list on the back of his skills and play to that point. Vdubs was on him when he came from ER i think.

Then he got that 3 year deal and the pull outs started. I could accept the few odd bounces of the ball, but there were multiple times where he needed to go and didnt. Then the skill errors increased and the play that had got me excited about his upgrade left and I was left very disppointed.

Last year his form was up and down but it began to come back but I still saw the pulling out. If as you say he can get the GRUNT back.... he has a good chance.

GO Catters

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back