News 2020 Pre-season - New and Improved after Rd 1 with Rd2 in June. ***

Remove this Banner Ad

Our 2020 list just oozes with the potential for melts post selection every week,that's a good thing it means we have options,tough s**t for the mods though the discussion in here will get heated with jumper punches being thrown everywhere,bring it on.
And I was so hoping to not set new ban records next year for people being stupids.... oh well.. viva la ban.

Go Catters

And I was so hoping to not set new ban records next year for people being stupids.... oh well.. viva la ban.

Go Catters

You mean that I might actually get to test out the mod powers?

Here I was hoping that the blue tracksuit would be still rather clean come seasons end...

Anyone got that Cocky and Kreuger article from the advertiser? Behind the paywall

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geelong midfield coach Matthew Knights admitted Cockatoo had plenty of work ahead of him to get the necessary continuity into his body but said Chris Scott and his team were keen to see the explosive ball winner back at AFL level in 2020.
“Nakia has done probably 70 per cent of the football so far and he tops that up with conditioning in the same day or the same session,” Knights said.
“He is using the ball very well in drills and his skill execution has been very good but now he just needs the continuity and to string sessions and weeks together.
“It has been really good so far but we are only in the infancy of pre-season so we would like to see him complete a good four or five months, which would be exciting for everyone to see … we have all referenced the long game with Nakia, which has been based on his body not being able to stand up to the rigours so far, but he has been able to do that (this pre-season).
“So there is no question if he gets through pre-season Chris would be the first to let him rip into football as soon as he can and we are all really looking forward to him playing football. I have got extremely high hopes he can be a strong contested midfield, which is where he is doing the majority of his training.”

Krueger had been touted as a possible late-season inclusion in 2019 after some standout performances for the Cats at VFL level but was ultimately left to develop his game away from the limelight.
The 20-year-old spent time down back in his first year but Knights said Geelong would be looking to use him in attack for the majority of 2020.
“His training in the first couple of weeks has been at a good level and his body is great,” Knights said.
“He has been doing 100 per cent of the sessions and he is one of those players we would really like to see jump into that second or third tall forward role.
“He provides something different as he is more of a roaming forward who is particularly hard to handle for opposition defences. He has obviously got plenty to learn…but he has lots of energy and is good to coach so it is a big pre-season for Kruges because he certainly has a lot to offer.”

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong

Go Catters

To be fair, theres only 3 selection melts that have legitimate merit over the last 2 years.
1. Scott trying to be too clever and playing someone really far out of their position to the teams detriment (Henderson forward in Prelims/Blicavs on the wing).
2. Dropping rucks against teams and then watching as their rucks take control and cost us the match (NicNat in Perth last year/Grundy QF this year).
3. Trying to shoehorn in defenders everywhere and then wondering why we can't kick more than 70 points a match.

Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I was hoping the Cockatoo preseason news would be more optimistic. Only doing 70% of the sessions isn't ideal. Not sure what his ceiling looks like with such little footy in him. 23 years old. The body should be settling by now.

He's like a lottery ticket at this point. Likely won't pay off but you never know.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I was hoping the Cockatoo preseason news would be more optimistic. Only doing 70% of the sessions isn't ideal. Not sure what his ceiling looks like with such little footy in him. 23 years old. The body should be settling by now.

He's like a lottery ticket at this point. Likely won't pay off but you never know.
They are Probbly just still holding him
Back a little bit which is understandable...he basically had a pre season for most of the year last year.

might just be medical advise to hold him back a little bit and build it up slowly over the pre season

Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
They are Probbly just still holding him
Back a little bit which is understandable...he basically had a pre season for most of the year last year.

might just be medical advise to hold him back a little bit and build it up slowly over the pre season
Yeah, that's what threw me. After a whole year of training to still not be fully training. That feels off. How did Brisbane fix Linc? Can they do that here?

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Thanks from me too.
Good to see they want to play Kreuger as a mobile half forward.
Play him there in the VFL alongside a better balanced foward line (rather than with a FF - Buzza- and two resting rucks!).
Then we get a better line on him.

I am expecting every GFL and country ruck /KPF to be sorted thru to give us a couple of VFL listed talls to have a close look at. That would allow Fort to spend 50/50 time in ruck and at FF so we work out his best spot also.
I like him best as a KPF. Good below his knees and has the knack of getting his hands to the ball in marking contests even as bigger bodies move him around. (Hopefully he has been hiding in the gym too.)

Would like to get to some training sessions but need help to find out when/where they will train. Deakin folk could help out by posting when they see the camera tower going up. Thanks in advance.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, that's what threw me. After a whole year of training to still not be fully training. That feels off. How did Brisbane fix Linc? Can they do that here?

From memory - Lincoln was fixed at GFC and he opted to move to Brisbane to play with his mate Lachie and for a fresh start.

Lincoln didn't go to Brisbane injured and get some sort of special surgery/rehab. He was ready to go for us in 2019. In fact, if you recall, he played games for us at the end of 2018 (finals too).

Alot of 'fixing' a player is about their recovery and supplementary work. Slow build - over 4 months (the pre-season) is ideal for Cockatoo.

Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
From memory - Lincoln was fixed at GFC and he opted to move to Brisbane to play with his mate Lachie and for a fresh start.

Lincoln didn't go to Brisbane injured and get some sort of special surgery/rehab. He was ready to go for us in 2019. In fact, if you recall, he played games for us at the end of 2018 (finals too).

Alot of 'fixing' a player is about their recovery and supplementary work. Slow build - over 4 months (the pre-season) is ideal for Cockatoo.
Good points. Just irks me that he wasn't on the field as much for us as I'd like.

Where Cockatoo concerns me more is he spend the entire year slow building. I guess it is good news until it is bad news. I should take the good news while it is there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Good points. Just irks me that he wasn't on the field as much for us as I'd like.

Where Cockatoo concerns me more is he spend the entire year slow building. I guess it is good news until it is bad news. I should take the good news while it is there.
I totally agree. He is the one player I want to see playing consistently again.

It was interesting last year where it was reported by a Bigfooty poster that Clarkson (at a speaking lunch) candidly and randomly said that they would love to have Cockatoo playing for them if we would trade him across.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics

It was interesting last year where it was reported by a Bigfooty poster that Clarkson (at a speaking lunch) candidly and randomly said that they would love to have Cockatoo playing for them if we would trade him across.

I think his last game was over here V Eagles 2 years ago?
His second quarter on the ball was electric - he monstered around the contest and accelerated away at will , stopped the Eagles momentum and steadied the ship. Sadly never came out after the 1/2 time break.
If he can recapture that form he's a straight up Kelly replacement :thumbsu:

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll

My opinion only, we as a club didn't understand the level of welfare needed and because of that he tried to do too much, too soon.

I'm wishing with all my heart that we get to see exactly what Nakia is capable of.

Yes, I remember seeing that but weirdly, it's disappeared.

Maybe I need to search for other keywords than Clarkson or Cockatoo. :think:

Oct 31, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LEEDS
Hear a whisper that this has been the hardest pre-season anyone has ever done
Be interesting to see if any break.
We got good depth, hopefully all survive but if some cop some little niggles we can cover them.
Hopefully Blicavs Foot is bruised from all the shots at goal he has taken

Whose name not being in the media coverage would be suspicious?
Some of the guys we wouldn't expect to hear much media about. Players like Miers and Stewart who have elevated their game and cemented their position in the 22 in the last few seasons means the media wouldn't have much to work with for a new story. Similar for players they've already hyped like Sav or Kreuger where there's not much story to tell unless they really do improve out of sight.

Players that need to earn at least some media coverage:
Simpson
Zuthrie
Parsons
Fogarty
Fort
Jarvis
Kennerley
Tarca
Schlensog
Constable - added here as there is an expectation set already that he will be punishing himself to earn a spot with a bigger tank, if the media don't follow it up it's a red flag

Arguable also that some more experienced heads will be looking to show their abilities such as Menegola, Rohan, Hendo

Am I judging too harshly?

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd like to see Cockatoo out there, but I reckon Taheny will be the one pushing for immediate forward line time in starting 22. He was playing against men this season.

I can see Dahlhaus and/or Atkins pushing for a lot more midfield minutes this season with TK gone. Jack Steven walks straight into the team though you would think, he has the pace and class to play TKs role if fully fit.

I think Rohan and Atkins will be under some pressure for their spots in best 22. Although, I think Scotty and MC love Atkins in starting 22.

Just hoping we have enough quality depth on the Wings. Really need Kennerley to step up if needed.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Whose name not being in the media coverage would be suspicious?
Some of the guys we wouldn't expect to hear much media about. Players like Miers and Stewart who have elevated their game and cemented their position in the 22 in the last few seasons means the media wouldn't have much to work with for a new story. Similar for players they've already hyped like Sav or Kreuger where there's not much story to tell unless they really do improve out of sight.

Players that need to earn at least some media coverage:
Simpson
Zuthrie
Parsons
Fogarty
Fort
Jarvis
Kennerley
Tarca
Schlensog
Constable - added here as there is an expectation set already that he will be punishing himself to earn a spot with a bigger tank, if the media don't follow it up it's a red flag

Arguable also that some more experienced heads will be looking to show their abilities such as Menegola, Rohan, Hendo

Am I judging too harshly?
Aside the GFC website, I don't see the outside media looking at preseason too much, not yet at least. Won't hear much other than from GFC web circles for now, not until say February I'm guessing. AFL will focus on AFLW, whilst mainstream media will follow AFLW and other sports for now until say Feb.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
We got good depth, hopefully all survive but if some cop some little niggles we can cover them.
Why would a fullback be taking shots at goal...

I'd rather Blicavs has a sore fist from punching the ball and we don't see him forwarded of the defensive 50 next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back