News 2020 Pre-season - New and Improved after Rd 1 with Rd2 in June. ***

Remove this Banner Ad

Aside the GFC website, I don't see the outside media looking at preseason too much, not yet at least. Won't hear much other than from GFC web circles for now, not until say February I'm guessing. AFL will focus on AFLW, whilst mainstream media will follow AFLW and other sports for now until say Feb.
I'm referring pretty much just to the GFC website

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Why would a fullback be taking shots at goal...
I'd rather Blicavs has a sore fist from punching the ball and we don't see him forwarded of the defensive 50 next season
Does anyone believe that Bltz will not at some stage play on ball in 2020? .. and therefore may also drift forward and take a mark and have a shot at goal.

If there is a chance that at sometime in a game a player will be having a seshot at goal then all those said players should have a routine worked out in their head , a method they know that they have used and practiced and know they can remember working. The should have a artifact they kickover and they should have a number of steps in the routine they need to record the data and get to know their shot shape.

The worst feeling (or at least one of them) in footy ..taking a mark 35 out in front and wondering and doubting can I kick it. Its the one to two metre putt in golf. No "its on the bondary so you have a get out of jail free" ..but man on the mark 35 out , you take the kick from 40-45 and you starting think about ..whats everyone else is thinking and what will they say if I miss etc etc. Its little man time.. and once he start whispering ..you are going to miss this you are in trouble.

Basically a lack of confidence in your setshot conversion. Now by all means forwards are the ones who should put a lot more time into it , to develop it to lock it in and nurture it and to polish and maintain it ... but everyone is expected in this modern day to be a defender..to tackle to chase ..then all players must be capable of kicking the ball straight ..in a high percentage shot. Its 6 metres and players can shape it and bounce it and wrong side it ..but dead in front ... there is no hiding. It can be game defining. Its anoying in the extreme when I see players who seem to ignore that part of the game .. its like they play musical chairs hoping they never get caught out.

The funny thing is (imo) its so much easier to lock something down for this than doing the other stuff he does well. Maybe there is no motivation to do it.. perhaps they need something like a game of DONKEY at training .. 10 bucks a letter between 10 players.. not sure ... but in an era where there is less score then ever .. score attempts has a super importance imo.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Whose name not being in the media coverage would be suspicious?
Some of the guys we wouldn't expect to hear much media about. Players like Miers and Stewart who have elevated their game and cemented their position in the 22 in the last few seasons means the media wouldn't have much to work with for a new story. Similar for players they've already hyped like Sav or Kreuger where there's not much story to tell unless they really do improve out of sight.

Players that need to earn at least some media coverage:
Simpson
Zuthrie
Parsons
Fogarty
Fort
Jarvis
Kennerley
Tarca
Schlensog
Constable - added here as there is an expectation set already that he will be punishing himself to earn a spot with a bigger tank, if the media don't follow it up it's a red flag

Arguable also that some more experienced heads will be looking to show their abilities such as Menegola, Rohan, Hendo

Am I judging too harshly?

Hear a whisper that this has been the hardest pre-season anyone has ever done

Training down the house .. ..cue a variation on Talking Heads ...

Plenty of comp from the new kids ... a plenty of players current on list know they have to up their game ....

Watch out ..they might get what they are after
Young kids come in and want to play but Im no stranger
I'm am no ordinary guy..Im
Training down the house
Hold tight .. no way my party's over
Hold tight .. go hard till my body can no longer weather
There has got to be a way to stay.. I'm
Training down the house

Last edited:

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Some of the guys we wouldn't expect to hear much media about. Players like Miers and Stewart who have elevated their game and cemented their position in the 22 in the last few seasons means the media wouldn't have much to work with for a new story. Similar for players they've already hyped like Sav or Kreuger where there's not much story to tell unless they really do improve out of sight.

Simpson
Zuthrie
Parsons
Fogarty
Fort
Jarvis
Kennerley
Tarca
Schlensog
Constable - added here as there is an expectation set already that he will be punishing himself to earn a spot with a bigger tank, if the media don't follow it up it's a red flag

Arguable also that some more experienced heads will be looking to show their abilities such as Menegola, Rohan, Hendo

I did get some news Schlong grew 2 inches

Looking trim
EK11UXtXsAAGGAm

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
My opinion only, we as a club didn't understand the level of welfare needed and because of that he tried to do too much, too soon.

I'm wishing with all my heart that we get to see exactly what Nakia is capable of.

Yes, I remember seeing that but weirdly, it's disappeared.

Maybe I need to search for other keywords than Clarkson or Cockatoo. :think:
Clarko + Cockatoo were the terms needs to find the post. BigCat1 was the original poster who was at the lunch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong

Simpson
Zuthrie
Parsons
Fogarty
Fort
Jarvis
Kennerley
Tarca
Schlensog

It’s not that they are in the news, it’s the type of news.

Constable, Steven, Touhy, Bews, Narkle and Parfitt need to be improving times and fitness.

Kennerley, Brownless, Zuthrie, Parsons, Clarke and De Koning need to be putting on size. Gym gains are more important. Don’t want to hear about Kennerley’s running, IMO it’s moot.

Cockatoo, Selwood, Ablett, Duncan and Harry need the “haven’t missed a session since Christmas” line. Don’t care how muscular they are looking.

I want to hear Ratugolea dominanting in the air, Stanley is playing with a harder edge and Dahlhaus, Miers and Fogarty have really improved their kicking.

It’s not that they are in the news, it’s the type of news.

Constable, Steven, Touhy, Bews, Narkle and Parfitt need to be improving times and fitness.

Kennerley, Brownless, Zuthrie, Parsons, Clarke and De Koning need to be putting on size. Gym gains are more important. Don’t want to hear about Kennerley’s running, IMO it’s moot.

Cockatoo, Selwood, Ablett, Duncan and Harry need the “haven’t missed a session since Christmas” line. Don’t care how muscular they are looking.

I want to hear Ratugolea dominanting in the air, Stanley is playing with a harder edge and Dahlhaus, Miers and Fogarty have really improved their kicking.
Precisely. We should keep a record of the media coming out over summer. List of names in the left column, then title each column across with the type of reporting (eg; distance running, weights, adding a new skill, injury etc) and keep a tally. Look at the list end of season it'll give a decent idea who is not cutting it

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
No,but I can see him and Cuthrie being called incorrectly by media from a distance.

To me it’s the guys with indistinct running styles that I find hard to seperate.

Steven has that dwarf running style while Guthrie has a cat like hunched one. It’s the guys like Duncan, Kolo and Henderson that I get mixed up because nothing about the way they run stands out.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Clarko + Cockatoo were the terms needs to find the post. BigCat1 was the original poster who was at the lunch.
Yep it was me. It was a panel with Clarko & Hardwick being interviewed by Cameron Schwab at a charity lunch. Basically asked him a question around the Hawks record of targeting players at other clubs and turning them around and is there anyone out there that he likes. He almost knocked me off my chair when he said he’d love Cockatoo. Being a rare talent and such a good person??? Didn’t say much more but their would have been 800 in the room.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back