News 2020 Pre-season - New and Improved after Rd 1 with Rd2 in June. ***

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this. I backed Parson's upgrade from Rookie to main list on the back of his skills and play to that point. Vdubs was on him when he came from ER i think.

Then he got that 3 year deal and the pull outs started. I could accept the few odd bounces of the ball, but there were multiple times where h needed to go and didnt. Then the skill errors increased and the play that had got me excited about his upgrade left and I was left very disppointed.

Last year his form was up and down but it began to come back nut I still saw the pulling out. If as you say he can get the GRUNT back.... he has a good chance.

GO Catters

Obviously I agree. If he can hit the ball (and the man contesting the ball ) hard he will make it. His skills are a bonus but winning contested footy is non negotiable at AFL level and he has been guilty of trying the finesse a few times too many. He would make a nice inside /outside mid or HBFlanker if he gets the body work organised.

Polar opposites in how they are regarded on this board, by the club and in the wider football community. And rightfully so. I suspect you know this but remain insistent on being obtuse and snide in a lot of your commentary.

In simpler terms, Parsons is probably not quite as bad as many like to think; Cockatoo is also possibly not quite as good (definitely the case right now).

To you other point.

Ignore me then. Hopefully that's more than snide enough.

In simpler terms, Parsons is probably not quite as bad as many like to think; Cockatoo is also possibly not quite as good (definitely the case right now).

To you other point.

Ignore me then. Hopefully that's more than snide enough.

That’s a reasonable assertion based on output. It’s hardly fair to compare Cockatoo to anyone based on output though given his injury history and lack of continuity. His level of talent however, is obvious to even a casual observer.

Why would I ignore you (or anyone else)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are we even comparing the 2. Cockatoo is a massively talented by always injured 1st round pick. Parsons come from the rookie list and is depth
Would you compare Danger with Mackie?

No need

But as said before, Parsons came as a rookie due to a severe foot stress fracture that saw him miss all his draft screening and the first season with us. Otherwise, I suggest he would have been a much higher draft pick, but he never had the glitz of Cockatoo.

I think it is possible to judge a player's natural ability in the time the are on the ground in AFL company. Cockatoo when playing seemed to me to be naturally talented - he shows a lot.

Parsons had to work much harder minute by minute in the AFL, just to get involved. But he does get involved and so far has shown a little.

Judging by numbers overall ie. game/career averages they look alike but to my eye they are quite different.

If Parsons had Cockatoos injury problems he would have been gone at end of year 2. If Cockatoo had Parsons injury history he would be one of the first picked each week.
Commonsense comparison with a little bit of thought behind it. 👏

Polar opposites in how they are regarded on this board, by the club and in the wider football community. And rightfully so. I suspect you know this but remain insistent on being obtuse and snide in a lot of your commentary.

But the good thing is that by Partridge bringing this up, we can have some discussion going during a relatively boring period (AFL news-wise).

Find me 1 person that would take Parsons over Cockatoo. Anyone at all.

No one is rating Cockatoo based solely on the 34 games he has already played. He has been mostly injured and had no continuity whatsoever. He is being rated based on the obvious level of talent that he has shown from a very limited sample size. His speed, athleticism, power etc. Partridge knows that, you know that and I know that.

Alastair Clarkson knows it too 🤣

Got down to W.Ponds this morning to see what was going on.

Only players missing as far as I could tell were the draftees, Dangerfield, Duncan, Kolo, Constable, Kreuger and Okunbor (not sure about Fog.).

It looked a little low key (first day back in training?) until some solid 3/4 ground match sim. at the end.

Thoughts/observations:
Selwood and Stewart trained but did mainly running to the side of the area.
Fort started to the side but joined with main group later
Parfitt was not with the main group - just running I think (might have joined later)but i don't think so.
Cockatoo trained with main group all time I was there.

It was not a day for highlights but Simpson seemed to have the ball a lot. Kicks both feet (better than most over short to mid distances).
O'Connor looked good. He is quick. Got a minor knock I think on his leg and was on the "table" for a bit.
Steven and Jenkins looked quite at home. Happy in service.
Narkle was quieter but looks in top nick.
Sav is ready. Zuthrie is looking more like an AFL footballer size wise but more would help.
No ruck work.

Pleasant Friday [Edit: Thursday. Thanks Shai ] morning.

Last edited:

Only players missing as far as I could tell were the draftees, Dangerfield, Duncan, Kolo, Constable, Kreuger and Okunbor (not sure about Fog.).

It looked a little low key (first day back in training?) until some solid 3/4 ground match sim. at the end.

Thoughts/observations:
Parfitt was not with the main group - just running I think (might have joined later)but i don't think so.

It was not a day for highlights but Simpson seemed to have the ball a lot. Kicks both feet (better than most over short to mid distances).
O'Connor looked good. He is quick. Got a minor knock I think on his leg and was on the "table" for a bit.
Sav is ready. Zuthrie is looking more like an AFL footballer size wise but more would help.
No ruck work.

Pleasant Friday morning.

Pleasant Friday.?

Cocky training with the main group, that's a positive for me. Has he done with the movember.?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I know its the season of unbounded optimism, but there is definitely depth among the 40 odd now.

I was disappointed Okunbor wasn't there yesterday. I was going to watch him closely. He is a smokey IMO (without knowing anything about how he is getting his head around the game) but the look I had before Xmas made me think he is fully invested and his skills have stepped up considerably.
He glides over the ground and I saw him finish very strongly in a handicap 12min (I think) run last season so he started with us with a big engine.

Thoughts/observations:

No ruck work.

Pleasant Friday [Edit: Thursday. Thanks Shai ] morning.

Thanks for the report. Living over 200ks from Geelong means I’m not able to pop down to training, alas.

Hopefully Charlie and Freddie okay - for all their talent I think both need to play good footy this year, including reasonable showings at AFL. Early in preseason of course, but hopefully not injury that will hold them back.

Last edited:
When Martin and his entourage of spuds won the game in the 3rd quarter it reminded me of how Scarlo, Chappy and Bartel used to take the win

Now I understand why we used to win so much. We hated losing!

Why are we even comparing the 2. Cockatoo is a massively talented by always injured 1st round pick. Parsons come from the rookie list and is depth

The only valid comparison is they will both get delisted this year if they dont play regular senior footy. Other than that i agree with you.

When Martin and his entourage of spuds won the game in the 3rd quarter it reminded me of how Scarlo, Chappy and Bartel used to take the win

Now I understand why we used to win so much. We hated losing!
Richmond are hardly an entourage of spuds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back