News 2020 Pre-season - New and Improved after Rd 1 with Rd2 in June. ***

Danger2Selwood

Team Captain
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
When Martin and his entourage of spuds won the game in the 3rd quarter it reminded me of how Scarlo, Chappy and Bartel used to take the win

Now I understand why we used to win so much. We hated losing!

If you think Richmond are an enterourage of spuds then that just disqualifies any point you make on this site from here on in.

If they're an enterourage of spuds, what does that make us? Or any other team in the league for that matter..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you think Richmond are an enterourage of spuds then that just disqualifies any point you make on this site from here on in.

If they're an enterourage of spuds, what does that make us? Or any other team in the league for that matter..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As we all know, deep down, the Tigers 17-19 so far, closely rivals Cats 07-11, and Hawks 13-15. All it now takes is one more Tigers flag in this era and they at least equal if not better us as a power team, whether or not they play less attractive footy than we did to get that success.
The Tigers are a super team.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
As we all know, deep down, the Tigers 17-19 so far, closely rivals Cats 07-11, and Hawks 13-15. All it now takes is one more Tigers flag in this era and they at least equal if not better us as a power team, whether or not they play less attractive footy than we did to get that success.
The Tigers are a super team.
No it doesnt. There is about a 10 games difference in wins. Plus geelong played away melbourne finals against melbourne teams. Richmond have mostly played home finals against non melbourne teams.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought this was an interesting suggestion... I do like Narkle, and has good upside. Still think Jack Steven is ahead of him, if fully fit and firing, for the main midfield role with Dangerfield.

GEELONG
QUINTON NARKLE
Replacing:
Tim Kelly (25 games in 2019)
Other contenders: Charlie Constable, Jack Steven, Cooper Stephens

Will need a big summer to prove he's ready to become a full-time midfielder after showing glimpses in his six matches last year. The West Australian's preparation for the 2019 season left him behind the eightball in the early stages of the season before finally earning a half-forward role in round 21. Being able to weave through traffic and burst away from stoppages has Narkle at the front of the queue to replace Kelly, however Constable will only improve his fitness, Steven will have a full summer under his belt and first-round draftee Stephens won't want to be making up the numbers. Established half-forward Brandan Parfitt is also craving more midfield time.

When Martin and his entourage of spuds won the game in the 3rd quarter it reminded me of how Scarlo, Chappy and Bartel used to take the win

Now I understand why we used to win so much. We hated losing!
way to invalid much going forward.

GO CAtters

gypsy_1

Debutant
Mar 10, 2007
Cyberspace.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Ham, NY Giants
I thought this was an interesting suggestion... I do like Narkle, and has good upside. Still think Jack Steven is ahead of him, if fully fit and firing, for the main midfield role with Dangerfield.

GEELONG
QUINTON NARKLE
Replacing:
Tim Kelly (25 games in 2019)
Other contenders: Charlie Constable, Jack Steven, Cooper Stephens

Will need a big summer to prove he's ready to become a full-time midfielder after showing glimpses in his six matches last year. The West Australian's preparation for the 2019 season left him behind the eightball in the early stages of the season before finally earning a half-forward role in round 21. Being able to weave through traffic and burst away from stoppages has Narkle at the front of the queue to replace Kelly, however Constable will only improve his fitness, Steven will have a full summer under his belt and first-round draftee Stephens won't want to be making up the numbers. Established half-forward Brandan Parfitt is also craving more midfield time.

gypsy_1

Debutant
Mar 10, 2007
Cyberspace.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Ham, NY Giants
The replacement for Kelly. If they can take contested marks and tackle then they possess attributes Kelly did not have !! Controversial??

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Yeah and we've always been so quick to discount the 2007 flag because we beat an interstate team.

Our 2007 flag was easily the least satisfying of the three given the poor quality of opposition. St Kilda 2009 and Collingwood 2011 were two of the best regular season sides ever, and two of the best sides I've ever seen fail to win the GF (only a rung behind us in 2008). The latter two GFs were tough and hard fought, and I've watched replays of those two games many times more than the 2007 flag.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah and we've always been so quick to discount the 2007 flag because we beat an interstate team.

07 was a massacre. StK and Pies had massive years in those premiership years and they didn't have to travel. I think our effort in 09 and 11 surpasses both of Richmond's efforts and all three of Hawthorn's efforts.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
We did play collingwood the week before in a prelim in front of 70 thousabd mad pies supporters. Richmond have not won a single final against a melbourne team in the past 3 years.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
In one of those seasons Hawthorn went to Perth twice during the finals. We never left the MCG in any premiership year.
We travel everytime we play a melbourne team at the mcg. They have the crowd advantage which is proven to bias umpires clearly and impact players mentality. Crowds help build momentum and pressure when one sided. When we play collingwood and hawthorn at the mcg its not mucj different to interstste travel
Yes we have supporters to but its 70 thousand opposition fans.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
We travel everytime we play a melbourne team at the mcg. They have the crowd advantage which is proven to bias umpires clearly and impact players mentality. Crowds help build momentum and pressure when one sided. When we play collingwood and hawthorn at the mcg its not mucj different to interstste travel
Yes we have supporters to but its 70 thousand opposition fans.

How is it proven to bias umpires? If players can't cope with a hostile crowd they shouldn't play professional sport.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
How is it proven to bias umpires? If players can't cope with a hostile crowd they shouldn't play professional sport.
Frees for and against ststistics and match results in games with home crowd advantage vs not. The results are overwehlming. It effects the majority of sportsmen if not everyone. Should all professional sportsmen quit as a result because its pretty much all of them that are influenced by it? Probably cos they are human. Maybe we should get non human robots to play instead?

Ps its a human fallacy to believe that the right outcome always eventuates. That the best team always wins the trophy. Its because we desire order and consistency that this fallacy exists. Mathematicians have shown that with finals systems the best team on average wins less then 50 percent of the time. And thats with fairness in allocation of home grounds. In some finals systems the best team only wins around 33 percent of the time.

Let’s not wander too far down memory lane in the 2020 preseason discussion thread.. it’s slow so I get it right now..

Let’s get back on track
Go Catters

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Back