Taylor: Plantar fasciitis
Varcoe: Shoulder
Narkle: Knee
Stanley: Calf
Menzel: Knee, groin, hamstring
Parsons: Knee
SSelwood: Groin
Ablett: Hamstring

Wouldn't mind a few other players dealing with the same knee injury as Danger if this is what pre-season will look like

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
It was bloody great. Got to celebrate a flag. Never happened before. Then wake up the next morning knowing it wasn't just a dream. Massively satisfying.
And your right. Port beat us at the end of the year and gave North a real flogging in the prelim.
Don't think there was a single one of us not shitting their pants before the game.
I am with you on this it was huge to have that monkey off the back after 89,92,94,95 I had 2 weeks of drinking and partying, 09 was on your seat stuff and 11 was a great hard game..but just too get one flag was a dream come true

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Wasn't the least satisfying at the time. It's still my favourite because we broke the drought.

Port have been discounted for that season ever since but they were in red hot form in the last couple of months of the season. It was anything but a foregone conclusion beforehand.
Yep they beat us in geelong a month earlier and won the prelim by 70 points whereas we barely got over the line.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep slow starts are usual for a some. Stewart and Selwood, are going gently at the moment. Duncan and Kolo being inter-staters may simply be doing rehab closer to family- who knows?

I worry about Fog and of late Parfitt more. They should be belting it out and Parfitt is on the sidelines just before Xmas for some reason and I still can't pick out Fogarty anywhere (........he is hard to spot in a crowd).

All good (but not perfect) at this stage.

Fogarty should have kept the haircut he came to the club with, the shoulder length monstrosity made him stand out from the crowd way more.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
A nice read about one of our youngsters

Nice story, but sad to hear that he hasn't gotten into 'big blocks of training' yet.

I had to take a big pause going into last year but I'm really hoping to see more of him sooner than later.

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
At Waurn Ponds this morning:

Seen but not in full training - Selwood, Narkle, Stewart, Parfitt, . Not seen and probably not there Duncan, O'Connor, Simpson, Fogarty, Steven Esava. (Other observers might be able to confirm these (there were a dozen or so all up I think)

Rohan and Kreuger didn't do a lot while I was there but weren't to the side either. All draftees present. Constable in full training.

More up tempo than last session I saw. Fairly physical and a few crunching tackles etc.

Lots of short varied small group to half ground exercises/simulation. Players on the run chasing footies, tackling, leading up etc- reasonably demanding aerobically. Short sessions to keep it interesting?

One longer session of 16 a side, starting from set points around the ground rather than centre ball ups. Seemed to be emphasis on rapid decision making, leading hard to provide options, play on etc.

I left before the end - thats all I saw - drills were continuing as I left.

Observations:
Dangerfield in everything, Parsons definitely training with mids and was busy, Schlensog looks to have improved considerably, Cockatoo in all drills /sims, Okunbor back at training and showed a couple of nice evasive moves - still concentrating on shorter kicks. None of the newbies did anything to catch the eye. Harry, Blitz and Hendo enjoyed their work down back - Harry laid a couple of the crunching tackles.

Stanley and Fort did some ruck work at last but nothing requiring much body work.

Good luck Jake:

GEELONG defender Jake Kolodjashnij has undergone hip surgery and is in serious doubt to miss the start of the season.

The 24-year-old went under the knife in recent days after it became apparent the ongoing issues he has battled since last year would not be fixed without intervention.

Kolodjashnij was treated by renowned Tasmanian surgeon Dr Michael Pritchard, who has previously performed surgery on ex-Cat Steve Johnson and Australian tennis champion Lleyton Hewitt.

It is expected Kolodjashnij will be able to resume running in six weeks, meaning he will certainly miss Geelong’s two Marsh Community Cup matches against Gold Coast and Essendon.

The time frame on his return also effectively rules him out of action for the start of the AFL season, with the Cats to play their first match on March 21 against GWS.

The blow to Kolodjashnij comes as fellow defenders Tom Stewart (groin) and Mark O’Connor (toe) continue to recover from injuries, but both players are on track to be ready for Geelong’s first practice match next month.

Midfield pair Joel Selwood and Mitch Duncan are both training away from the main group and also remain in doubt for the clash with Gold Cost on February 22.

Seen but not in full training - Selwood, Narkle, Stewart, Parfitt, . Not seen and probably not there Duncan, O'Connor, Simpson, Fogarty, Steven Esava. (Other observers might be able to confirm these (there were a dozen or so all up I think)

Rohan and Kreuger didn't do a lot while I was there but weren't to the side either. All draftees present. Constable in full training.

More up tempo than last session I saw. Fairly physical and a few crunching tackles etc.

Lots of short varied small group to half ground exercises/simulation. Players on the run chasing footies, tackling, leading up etc- reasonably demanding aerobically. Short sessions to keep it interesting?

One longer session of 16 a side, starting from set points around the ground rather than centre ball ups. Seemed to be emphasis on rapid decision making, leading hard to provide options, play on etc.

Observations:
Dangerfield in everything, Parsons definitely training with mids and was busy, Schlensog looks to have improved considerably, Cockatoo in all drills /sims, Okunbor back at training and showed a couple of nice evasive moves - still concentrating on shorter kicks. None of the newbies did anything to catch the eye. Harry, Blitz and Hendo enjoyed their work down back - Harry laid a couple of the crunching tackles.

Stanley and Fort did some ruck work at last but nothing requiring much body work.
Cockatoo early to risk jinxing this one?

Kolo has had hip surgery.
No hip action for Jake for a while.
That news is bound to bring a tear to a few of the ladies.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon out of all the non Cats draftees in the AFL in 2020, I'm so keen to see Robertson's development at the Lions. Think he could be the Worpel of the draft, the one most overlooked.

Though, I can't complain with our late selection for Taheny.

Observations:

Great work all off preseason catswhiskers Kudos to you - keep it coming!

Go Catters

Good luck Jake:

GEELONG defender Jake Kolodjashnij has undergone hip surgery and is in serious doubt to miss the start of the season.

The 24-year-old went under the knife in recent days after it became apparent the ongoing issues he has battled since last year would not be fixed without intervention.

Kolodjashnij was treated by renowned Tasmanian surgeon Dr Michael Pritchard, who has previously performed surgery on ex-Cat Steve Johnson and Australian tennis champion Lleyton Hewitt.

It is expected Kolodjashnij will be able to resume running in six weeks, meaning he will certainly miss Geelong’s two Marsh Community Cup matches against Gold Coast and Essendon.

The time frame on his return also effectively rules him out of action for the start of the AFL season, with the Cats to play their first match on March 21 against GWS.

The blow to Kolodjashnij comes as fellow defenders Tom Stewart (groin) and Mark O’Connor (toe) continue to recover from injuries, but both players are on track to be ready for Geelong’s first practice match next month.

Midfield pair Joel Selwood and Mitch Duncan are both training away from the main group and also remain in doubt for the clash with Gold Cost on February 22.

AM i mistaken of did Kolo have hip issues early when we drafted him?
I could be compeltely bloody wrong about this.
Hope its not a repeat

GO Catters

Hope its not a repeat

GO Catters

I'm pretty sure Vardy had hip issues early in his career

Not sure on Kolo

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Was clear to anyone with eyes he had issues. He was already slow but last year he couldn't turn around without it looking extremely laboured and difficult. I remember a few geniuses on here trying to tell me he was fine and not slow etc lol

Was clear to anyone with eyes he had issues. He was already slow but last year he couldn't turn around without it looking extremely laboured and difficult. I remember a few geniuses on here trying to tell me he was fine and not slow etc lol

Really - I don't remember anyone saying or suggesting any of that.

He obviously wasn't too slow or crazy stupid impacted by whatever the issue was:
- kept Riewoldt to 6 disposals & goalless in the pf
- in the semi final he kept Kennedy to 1 goal
- he also did the job during the year on the likes of DeGoey

The hip issue may have been something he was carrying last season, but doesn't seem that it was stopping him from playing or getting the job he was asked to do done.

And if it was a more serious issue then he probably would have been in for surgery post season rather than seeing if managing his work load would help - doesn't seem that the issue has got any worse just that it's not necessarily better

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Really - I don't remember anyone saying or suggesting any of that.

He obviously wasn't too slow or crazy stupid impacted by whatever the issue was:
- kept Riewoldt to 6 disposals & goalless in the pf
- in the semi final he kept Kennedy to 1 goal
- he also did the job during the year on the likes of DeGoey

The hip issue may have been something he was carrying last season, but doesn't seem that it was stopping him from playing or getting the job he was asked to do done.

And if it was a more serious issue then he probably would have been in for surgery post season rather than seeing if managing his work load would help - doesn't seem that the issue has got any worse just that it's not necessarily better
Geelong takes the wait and see approach in the majority of situations. I rate our medical team average relative to the competition. They get it wrong quite a bit.

BIGANT

Premiership Player
Jan 19, 2006
Glenelg
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong takes the wait and see approach in the majority of situations. I rate our medical team average relative to the competition. They get it wrong quite a bit.
Just like our media/socials dept. Back to the medical team.
They did it with Hawkins and his back...was the back operation more of risk long term then time off ? Yes Tom came out of that unscathed in the end.
I had bad thoughts this would turn pear shaped w Kolo. Our bk 6 is going to be undermanned come r1. Let alone the rest of the guy's that are in the medical room.

Or maybe our medical staff are like most medical professionals and they look at surgery as a last resort versus being the must do option in all cases

Yes there are times when surgery really is the only option, i.e. ACL, hamstring torn off the bone

But there are plenty of injuries where the individual can go through recovery/rehab process without surgery or the need for immediate surgery; surely it's preferable to avoid surgery where possible, unless it gets to the stage of being necessary

I'd be much more concerned if our medical staff were too eager or quick to jump to the conclusion that surgery was a must, especially if there are alternatives to consider first

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Hope its not a repeat

GO Catters
Billie Smedts had hip problems early on I think that was hereditary,Jake had glandular fever i think at the end of his second year,I don't recall any significant hip issues early on for him Daz.

Back