News 2020 Pre-season - New and Improved after Rd 1 with Rd2 in June. ***

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Anyone else worried that with Joel's injury woes and Kelly leaving that Danger is going to come under a lot more pressure and the hard tags that come with it as he will be relied upon even more this year? Think he really needs Joel to get healthy fast or someone else to step up as that big number 2, to help split that attention, I know he has generally copped well with hard tags but he is getting older and I am can see an over reliance on him performing this season, or am i worrying about nothing?

That's what Jack Steven will be for, after he's had a few rounds to get match fit and graduate into the onball brigade. Don't forget, when Duncan comes back, we'll still have a midfield of Danger, Steven, Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola, Parfitt, Narkle, Constable, Dahl, Ablett and Atkins and Clark all drifting through there when they're picked. That's without Sel, the recent draftees like Kennerley, Fogarty and C. Stephens, or even the magic unicorn that is Cocky. I honestly think Sel will play more of a half back role this season, with his cool head under pressure helping the back 6/extending his career like Hodge, Bartel, McVeigh etc.

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
That's what Jack Steven will be for, after he's had a few rounds to get match fit and graduate into the onball brigade. Don't forget, when Duncan comes back, we'll still have a midfield of Danger, Steven, Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola, Parfitt, Narkle, Constable, Dahl, Ablett and Atkins and Clark all drifting through there when they're picked. That's without Sel, the recent draftees like Kennerley, Fogarty and C. Stephens, or even the magic unicorn that is Cocky. I honestly think Sel will play more of a half back role this season, with his cool head under pressure helping the back 6/extending his career like Hodge, Bartel, McVeigh etc.

So you reckon Steven might play mostly forward for the first month or so before moving into the mids once he has a better fitness base?
That's the thing I guess, until we see him in the Marsh series it is really hard to gauge just how much fitness Steven lost last year and how quickly to can get it back even with reports of a decent preseason with us so far.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
From what little I know, he is not focused enough on his rehab. He doesn’t treat it with the singleminded focus that the very best players do.

Then they should get rid of him......if that is true.

If he can't give it his all, and is happy to bludge on the club, he doesn't deserve any more chances. We've already burnt 5 years on him.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Nakia is bludging on the club now.
Did this intel come from a Donald Trump tweet?

If he's not fully focused then he's sitting back a bit on the club = my casual use of the word 'bludging'.

A bit loose, but you're a smart man Max, so I'm sure you got the gist of what I was saying..........

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
If he's not fully focused then he's sitting back a bit on the club = my casual use of the word 'bludging'.

A bit loose, but you're a smart man Max, so I'm sure you got the gist of what I was saying..........
Just Max trying to stire up a Stormy Daniels in a tea cup.

It’s fairly good intel. He works very hard. But not to the standard of someone like Lenny Hayes or Joel Selwood - should they be in a similar position.
So like 80% of all other AFL players? 10% like Joel etc., other 10% would rather be elsewhere.

Hoping for the best...but fearing the worst.

Anyone else worried that with Joel's injury woes and Kelly leaving that Danger is going to come under a lot more pressure and the hard tags that come with it as he will be relied upon even more this year? Think he really needs Joel to get healthy fast or someone else to step up as that big number 2, to help split that attention, I know he has generally coped well with hard tags but he is getting older and I am can see an over reliance on him performing this season, or am i worrying about nothing?

He have GWS and WC in the first few rounds, both notable tagging teams.
It is concerning but I wouldn't panic right now. I think more than anything the match committee want too see some of our supporting cast take the lead against the suns. More an opportunity to see what a Stephens-Constable-Narkle-Clark midfield looks like outside of match sim. We'll have to rely on them in the season proper sooner rather than later.

I expect Steven and Selwood aren't a round 1 risk but the extent of Duncan's surgery is worrying

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s fairly good intel. He works very hard. But not to the standard of someone like Lenny Hayes or Joel Selwood - should they be in a similar position.
We would have no idea how hard these kids do or don't work.
Already the word bludge has been bandied about.
Soon he'll be painted with the Motlop brush, just like Parfitt was the other day.
It annoys the hell out of me.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
We would have no idea how hard these kids do or don't work.
Already the word bludge has been bandied about.
Soon he'll be painted with the Motlop brush, just like Parfitt was the other day.
It annoys the hell out of me.

With respect Max, I've already explained my loose useage of the word 'bludge', and our fellow poster has also explained that they have good info about Cocky's attitude.

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
Anyone else worried that with Joel's injury woes and Kelly leaving that Danger is going to come under a lot more pressure and the hard tags that come with it as he will be relied upon even more this year? Think he really needs Joel to get healthy fast or someone else to step up as that big number 2, to help split that attention, I know he has generally coped well with hard tags but he is getting older and I am can see an over reliance on him performing this season, or am i worrying about nothing?

He have GWS and WC in the first few rounds, both notable tagging teams.

Not concerned because he can't be tagged. Selwood can, hence why he has received the close attention since Danger's arrival.

Reckon Mr Steven will be fine to slot straight into the midfield if required

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
With respect Max, I've already explained my loose useage of the word 'bludge', and our fellow poster has also explained that they have good info about Cocky's attitude.
No worries mate, but it sometimes only takes a sniff off the blood in the water around here.
And, also with respect to that poster, I've heard plenty of "good" info in past that has been only good for nothing.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
No worries mate, but it sometimes only takes a sniff off the blood in the water around here.
And, also with respect to that poster, I've heard plenty of "good" info in past that has been only good for nothing.

True - it doesn't take much to create a feeding frenzy sonetimes, so I'll agree I could've / should've used a less emotive and provocative word than 'bludge'.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
So like 80% of all other AFL players? 10% like Joel etc., other 10% would rather be elsewhere.

Hoping for the best...but fearing the worst.
100% agree. It's always up to each individual as to what they want from their career. I just wish that a few of these players grab their opportunity with both hands.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Joel has said himself that he'll be back in an inside midfield role this season.

I just heard on "The Traders" podcast that both Joel Selwood and Jack Steven played in a VFL practice match on the weekend. Is this public knowledge? Does anyone know how they went?
I heard it was a closed practice match - referred to on KROCK - both got thru ok - not much else said. Think it was Scarlo actually whom had referred to it.

GO Catters

Anyone got the article on Taheny, says he changing his attitude. Then it locks me out

GEELONG draft steal Cameron Taheny concedes criticism of his attitude was warranted as he continues to make improvements on his body language.
The South Australian was considered one of the top prospects in last year’s draft pool but slid to pick No.50.

Taheny fired in the first four games of the SANFL season last year, kicking 15 goals for Norwood in those games to show why he was touted as a possible top-10 selection.

But injury and form went against the dangerous forward in the second half of the season, raising questions over his attitude.

“That was probably fair,” Taheny said of the criticism.

“That was probably an area of my game that I looked at towards the back end of the year.

“When things were going well, I was very lucky, I got a pretty decent run in my first few games at (SANFL) league level and then started to cop a little bit more attention than I normally would.

“I probably got a little bit unsettled and really didn’t know how to cope with it.

“I let my emotions get the better of me a bit in some games.

“(I’ve been) working, I guess, (on) how I show emotion out on the field — just things like not dropping your head, little things you probably don’t even know you’re doing but it gets noticed pretty easily.”

The dynamic left-footer is dangerous on the lead, possesses an excellent goal sense and demonstrated elite speed at the Draft Combine when he broke three seconds for the 20m sprint.

He said a professional environment had helped develop his game.

“A few of the recruiters knew (and) they probably picked up on those attitude things throughout the year,” he said.

“With the mentality we have here, you just want to keep getting better and you’re not going to get better if you make mistakes along the way.”

Taheny, who was named an emergency for Geelong’s Marsh Community Series clash on Saturday, said he had been working on developing a team focus and keeping his emotions in check.

“If I lose a one-on-one, instead of getting down on myself, I’d probably look to how I can get involved in the next contest, what I’m going to do, where I’m going to lay a tackle, where I’m going to lay a block — just the little one-percenters that keep you involved in the game so you’re not drifting in and out,” he said.

“(I) did a bit of work towards the back end of last year but I’m very confident I’ll be able to turn it around this year and put it all behind me.”

Back