AFL Club
Geelong

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Stewart hasn't trained much at all when I have been there. Just running with Joel and a few others on the side. Not sure about the struck down bit.

O'Connor definitely got attention last week but after treatment when he walked past to speak to a couple of pasty looking mates he looked fine, just some light strapping on his ankle. I assume he has friends visiting from Ireland --that might keep him out for action for two weeks!

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Our 2007 flag was easily the least satisfying of the three given the poor quality of opposition. St Kilda 2009 and Collingwood 2011 were two of the best regular season sides ever, and two of the best sides I've ever seen fail to win the GF (only a rung behind us in 2008). The latter two GFs were tough and hard fought, and I've watched replays of those two games many times more than the 2007 flag.

Wasn't the least satisfying at the time. It's still my favourite because we broke the drought.

Port have been discounted for that season ever since but they were in red hot form in the last couple of months of the season. It was anything but a foregone conclusion beforehand.

Wasn't the least satisfying at the time. It's still my favourite because we broke the drought.

Port have been discounted for that season ever since but they were in red hot form in the last couple of months of the season. It was anything but a foregone conclusion beforehand.
+1 they easily could have been a 2016 Bulldogs side

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

It was bloody great. Got to celebrate a flag. Never happened before. Then wake up the next morning knowing it wasn't just a dream. Massively satisfying.
And your right. Port beat us at the end of the year and gave North a real flogging in the prelim.
Don't think there was a single one of us not shitting their pants before the game.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
It was bloody great. Got to celebrate a flag. Never happened before. Then wake up the next morning knowing it wasn't just a dream. Massively satisfying.
And your right. Port beat us at the end of the year and gave North a real flogging in the prelim.
Don't think there was a single one of us not shitting their pants before the game.

Yeah we all knew - and the footy world did as well - that we were the better team. But the question mark was whether they'd turn up or fail in a grand final again.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah we all knew - and the footy world did as well - that we were the better team. But the question mark was whether they'd turn up or fail in a grand final again.
Yeah, a lot of people like to look back and say they knew we were gonna win but at the time they were scared. Everyone was.
Different story the next year.

I know we all love to reminisce our past premiership glory but it would be good is we could try to bring the discussion back to the 2020 pre-season

Though, if you can relate discussion of our premiership years to this current pre-season, then go for it

bellpark

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
It sure is quiet on the Western Front at the moment. I hope we are not too distracted by replacing Tim Kelly - there wont be a one to one replacement. What we should be focused on is how we get 10% better. We are just not good enough (record of failing at Prelims is undeniable - either coaching or playing or both). Everyone gets better, and we need to get ''more better''. Cant see how that happens without some of the recruits of the last 2 years coming in and playing high level footy. Our exposed stocks are just not there (although you could argue the selection sabotaged them a bit).

Gogeelong

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't jinx it...
Plenty of injured players that may have a slow start to the season

eg Stewart - Groin,
Selwood - Hamstring,
Blics, Clark - Elbow,
Cocky - Hamstring,
Duncan - Knee / Shoulder / Hip,
Kolo - Groin,
Evans - Foot,
Fogarty - Ankle,
O'Conner - toe,
Parfitt - Back,
Rohan - Hammy,
Cooper - Broken leg

This is a handy bunch

Last edited:

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

eg Stewart - Groin,
Selwood - Hamstring,
Blics, Clark - Elbow,
Cocky - Hamstring,
Kolo - Groin,
Evans - Foot,
Fogarty - Ankle,

O'Conner - toe,
Parfitt - Back,
Rohan - Hammy,

Cooper - Broken leg

This is a handy bunch

As far as I am aware these players are all fully training after recovering from their injuries in 2019.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Doesn't fit with a "complete disaster brewing" narrative.
In that case, Gogeelong I would also like to add the following:

Dangerfield: Knee
Hawkins: Back
Taylor: Plantar fasciitis
Varcoe: Shoulder
Narkle: Knee
Stanley: Calf
Menzel: Knee, groin, hamstring
Parsons: Knee
SSelwood: Groin
Ablett: Hamstring

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong

eg Stewart - Groin,
Selwood - Hamstring,
Blics, Clark - Elbow,
Cocky - Hamstring,
Kolo - Groin,
Evans - Foot,
Fogarty - Ankle,
O'Conner - toe,
Parfitt - Back,
Rohan - Hammy,
Cooper - Broken leg

This is a handy bunch

Yep slow starts are usual for a some. Stewart and Selwood, are going gently at the moment. Duncan and Kolo being inter-staters may simply be doing rehab closer to family- who knows?

I worry about Fog and of late Parfitt more. They should be belting it out and Parfitt is on the sidelines just before Xmas for some reason and I still can't pick out Fogarty anywhere (........he is hard to spot in a crowd).

All good (but not perfect) at this stage.

Back