Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Blues Pre-Season Player Preview Series

8. Kreuzer.PNG

Player Name: Matthew Kreuzer

Guernsey #: 8

Nickname/s: Kreuz, Tractor, Humphrey

2019 Senior Games: 15

Key Stats: Disposals: 196 (13.1) Marks: 30 (2) Contested possessions: 137 (9.1) Tackles: 34 (2.3) Clearances: 84 (5.6) Hitouts: 467 (31.1)

Height: 200

Weight: 101

Injury concerns: Finished the year well but for now we'll say 'TBA'

Primary Role: Ruck

Best 22 Status: Best 22 Veteran

Strengths: Work around the ground, heart, leadership, loved by the masses, team barometer

Weaknesses: Staying on the park for more than 3 months of the year

What he said: Barring disaster, Kreuzer is likely to re-commit to the club to see out his career – such is his love for the Navy Blue: “Carlton has been a big part of my life,” Kreuzer said.

“I’m at the back end now and I’m seeing these young kids come through. I’m just trying to pass on as much knowledge and experience as I can.”

The 411: After missing the opening month of season 2019, Kreuz returned to the senior side and was consistent for the most part across the year. Still missing another 3 games (Rounds 7, 19 and 20) after his return in Round 5, he continued to show his importance to the side when fit – including a few standout games that come standard for a Matthew Kreuzer season. The big lug averaged over 30 hitouts a game for just the second time in his career and will enter 2020 as an uncontracted player. Now 30 years young, it will be a crucial year for the big man.

Bigfooty best case: The club recruited a viable foil and replacement for our heart and soul ruckman in Marc Pittonet during the Trade Period, who – along with young TDK – will put more pressure on MK than ever before. Like Simpson and Murph, Kreuz has been here through a lot of dour times and so deserves to experience some success as he enters the last phase of his career. If Russell can get Kreuz on the field for another 18-20 games in 2020, he will help us to a few more wins off his back alone – hopefully then committing to being a Bluebagger for life.

Next up: Some guy by the name of Patrick Cripps

Last edited:

What have you to say about it, or are we just to imagine?
Looks like an ex-captain kicking a football to me...and he's wearing a watchie-thing.

Reckon there's a headline in there somewhere.
“Murph Dons Watchie Thing”
Like that you mean

gibbons and setterfield are good chances i think. i think gibbons was up around there when we won games last season.

Dow is looking a long way off the pace for me.
It's not how often he gets it so much as what he does with it when he does get it.
He went backwards quite a way last year, and it was all in his head.
Hopefully a pre-season with Teague and AR can start to sort it out, because when he gets it right he can be pretty damn good.

I am still very positive about Dow - yes he has copped plenty for missing targets by foot in 2019 (rightly) but I prepared to cut him some slack as a 2nd year player who is still building the required fitness base. (Did he have an interruption to pre-season last year?) Anyhoo I just went back to have another look at our top 10 goals of the year because I remembered on first viewing that Dow featured in a number of the possession chains. Nothing pivotal but playing his part in 3 of the 10. There is something about him that promises so much - I think we just need a little patience and the reward will come. He looks super-lean this pre-season so hoping for a break out year.

I am still very positive about Dow - yes he has copped plenty for missing targets by foot in 2019 (rightly) but I prepared to cut him some slack as a 2nd year player who is still building the required fitness base. (Did he have an interruption to pre-season last year?) Anyhoo I just went back to have another look at our top 10 goals of the year because I remembered on first viewing that Dow featured in a number of the possession chains. Nothing pivotal but playing his part in 3 of the 10. There is something about him that promises so much - I think we just need a little patience and the reward will come. He looks super-lean this pre-season so hoping for a break out year.

haven't written him off or anything but his first year was very good in a very poor team. he's got a few more years in the bank but we'd all hope he improves this season, as you say his second was underwhelming.

Yeah that's what I was impying - what do you get with his possessions? More miss than anything.

He went backwards when he was removed from the middle (aka Bolton got sacked). Showed a few signs with his kicking improvement late in the year but yeah to me was mentally stuffed. Hopefully be able to rebuild that

I'd like to see us develop him to play to his strengths and give him a bit of freedom .... not suggesting he's as good as Danger but he's a similar player in that he's a 'metres-gained', break through and get over defensive lines mid. We need a few different strings to our bow rather than a team of robots.

This is my big worry with him, but happy enough to take him as a rookie.

This is the concern when it comes to taking any player on who has had a history of injuries.

I think if he trains well and looks to be going in the right direction then he's worth a shot, particularly if he's only going to cost us a later pick.

In the end it's better to have a senior player on your list who has a good attitude and can play a bit than a kid who can't play which is probably the alternative.

Plenty of people saying he has talent so that's a start. If we can get him fit then he's worth giving a chance. Injury prone players don't always work out but plenty of times they do. I think you're more likely going to get reward from this type of selection than a very speculative teenager later in the draft but it all comes down to the judgement of our recruiters.

One thing I will say is that the look of our players and how Webb looks. He doesn't look like he has had continuity in his training and fitness yet so when judging his training I think the likelihood his fitness is behind the other Carlton players needs to be considered.

I'm thinking we would get him for a very late pick or rookie pick. Would be keen to see what he can do with a really good fitness base and continuity in his football.

I think Dow could model his game on Dangerfield. Dangerfield is one of the best players in the competition but he can't kick. He's a great contested ball winner and uses his strength, size, skills and running abilities really well and when he gets the footy he handballs a lot and kicks long a lot. If Dow can improve his long kicking and goal kicking and becomes a player who handles the ball well under pressure, attacks the ball and the man aggressively and uses his power to break tackles and use handball these issues will go into the background as they have with Dangerfield.

I'm hoping Dow and Stocker really come on this season because we could do with some quality in the contest so we are less reliant on Murphy, Curnow and Cripps.

Imagine not talking about this shot from today's session:

MurphyNov13.jpg

Link for those who can't be bothered with Instagram

It's a little deceptive as he's in full flight and tensing a lot of muscles, you can see a comparison in another shot. He does look slimmed down, and at this point his mobility should be peaking if he's got decent motion and power through his dodgy foot.

Will be interesting to see his pace and endurance through the pre-season, and also if he can contribute to stoppages, as he was generally losing his footing too easily when used there.
As Harks has already said, keen to know what you are implying re: Murph.

Fwiw, your insights re: training and conditioning of our players is one of the things I enjoy reading most on this board, so hoping for continued observations throughout the preseason 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Docherty also singled out Carlton Director of High Performance Andrew Russell as a key architect of the young group’s pre-season success.

To go with Teague’s first season, Docherty said the excitement this pre-season was “two-fold” due to Russell’s involvement from the outset.

Wonder if Walsh can do a Cripps and continue to grow into his 20s - particularly given his younger brother is quite tall...
I know Walsh's family and his brother's height has come from nowhere. His Twin uncles and grandfather on the Walsh side would be closer to 5 ft than 6 while his Dad is taller he still would be much more than 5'10". I wouldn't be banking on Walsh getting much taller than he is now.

I've mentioned a few times now that I watched Cripps practising his 10 mt speed some years back.
It was quite intensive and we had a few coaches involved. (I'm not sure whether they were timing though)
I don't know how many run-throughs he executed, but it was tiring for him. He was exhausted but kept on going.
After that he did the same but having to get off the deck this time and not the standing start. The effort he put into those drills were very impressive.

There's one video somewhere showcasing Dangerfields highlights that make you wondered how he got to #10 in his draft.
Dangerfield was an issue of his commitment to his final year of high school.

As Harks has already said, keen to know what you are implying re: Murph.

Fwiw, your insights re: training and conditioning of our players is one of the things I enjoy reading most on this board, so hoping for continued observations throughout the preseason 👍
My observation is that Murphy was training and no one had mentioned it.

Martin is not a small forward.
Though you'd have to expect both he and Fisher to feature quite prominently off half-forward.

Last edited:
Though you'd have to expect both he and Fisher to feature quite prominently of half-forward.

It will be interesting as to possible role changes/distributions

I can certainly see Martin playing forward.
Newnes on a wing (his preferred position)
O'Brien on a HBF
Stocker in the back-line also.

Shooting the wind here. Looking at the slim fisique of our returning players do you guys think it may be a tactic for the playing group to lose say 5% strength in order to gain 10% fitness? I rewatched the saints game and it was quite evident in the last quarter that we beat them because we were fitter than them. Could also explain our targeting of Cottrel, Gibbons and more recently Newnes. Literally ‘run’ could be our game.

Shooting the wind.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back