Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Shooting the wind here. Looking at the slim fisique of our returning players do you guys think it may be a tactic for the playing group to lose say 5% strength in order to gain 10% fitness? I rewatched the saints game and it was quite evident in the last quarter that we beat them because we were fitter than them. Could also explain our targeting of Cottrel, Gibbons and more recently Newnes. Literally ‘run’ could be our game.

Shooting the wind.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could be 2011 all over again!

I’m really happy with our list. Seems willo is right to go and with the return of doc and acquisition of betts, newnes pitonett and hopefully Martin all of a sudden we have a pretty good team. There will be plenty of competition for spots which will hopefully get the best out of the players.

Shooting the wind here. Looking at the slim fisique of our returning players do you guys think it may be a tactic for the playing group to lose say 5% strength in order to gain 10% fitness? I rewatched the saints game and it was quite evident in the last quarter that we beat them because we were fitter than them. Could also explain our targeting of Cottrel, Gibbons and more recently Newnes. Literally ‘run’ could be our game.

Shooting the wind.

As long as they can stick a tackle, they can come in any size AR wants them to be!

It will be interesting as to possible role changes/distributions

I can certainly see Martin playing forward.
Yes

Newnes on a wing (his preferred position)
If he plays, swapping forward for stints, and dropping back when Simmo needs a rest.

O'Brien on a HBF
Nah, probably wing/HF, but mostly full time wing.

Stocker in the back-line also.
Absolutely zero chance of this happening ahead of SPS, Williamson, Docherty, Martin and Newnes

Shooting the wind.

You're not accounting for excess glycogen storage. Depending on the diet and exercise regiment and their game style, they might lose zero strength, and maintain their maximal strength and concentration for longer.

And it would be substantially more than 10% fitness, at least from an aerobic perspective.

As long as they can stick a tackle, they can come in any size AR wants them to be!

I like it. it’s weight of numbers really. If we can outnumber contests more often than not. Every disposal will be under pressure. If they bust a tackle there’s another blue right there to get them unaware. If the ball spills loose we’re likely to get it. If we have more numbers getting to more contests a concession in strength will be more or less negligible. We would lose 5% to have another bloke there at 95% more often.

I already know I’m nuts so no need to tell me.

It will be interesting as to possible role changes/distributions

I can certainly see Martin playing forward.
Newnes on a wing (his preferred position)
O'Brien on a HBF
Stocker in the back-line also.
Martins aim was always more midfield time,his a natural runner,elite tank,can utilise any position
In fact would be surperb HBF.....in time

Shooting the wind.

Well if you look at our better games for the year they comprised of a lot of overlap running and pushing back and then running hard forward using handball chains and overlap especially I noticed down the left hand wing side a lot more so than the right which was more kick mark, players like Simmo, O’brien, Murphy, Walsh and Gibbons where prolific in these chains down the left hand wing. So yes I think our game plan moving forward will be using our strength of a lot of good endurance runners pushing teams to the limit with gut running up and back and using a lot of handball chains and overlap running. Just hope teams don’t work out we mainly use the left hand side for this purpose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if you look at our better games for the year they comprised of a lot of overlap running and pushing back and then running hard forward using handball chains and overlap especially I noticed down the left hand wing side a lot more so than the right which was more kick mark, players like Simmo, O’brien, Murphy, Walsh and Gibbons where prolific in these chains down the left hand wing. So yes I think our game plan moving forward will be using our strength of a lot of good endurance runners pushing teams to the limit with gut running up and back and using a lot of handball chains and overlap running. Just hope teams don’t work out we mainly use the left hand side for this purpose.
Once we include willo, Doc and Newnes the right side will be just as effective.

Unfortunately I think that's a big "IF" .... our coaching group didn't show much appetite last year for giving him any decent midfield time. I reckon JSOS and Gibbo show heaps of game sense (and great hands) when in and around the contest. I'm obviously missing something as to why we don't give either of these guys more midfield minutes.

I think Bolts probably pencilled him as a small forward, so that went against Gibbo. He is, and will always be (in my opinion) a mid first and foremost.
Agree totally about the limited minutes in the guts, but I think they would have known that he would have hit the wall in his first season.
I'm really excited what another solid pre season can do for him.

Played on the half forward flank (in his first season in 1967 where he came third in the Brownlow Medal , full forward in 1970 where he kicked 100 goals), played in the centre, centre half forward, won a best and fairest playing off the half back flank, coached a premiership side from the back pocket in 1979, after shifting himself there before half time.

So yeah, utility, story checks out.

:p

Played on the half forward flank (in his first season in 1967 where he came third in the Brownlow Medal , full forward in 1970 where he kicked 100 goals), played in the centre, centre half forward, won a best and fairest playing off the half back flank, coached a premiership side from the back pocket in 1979, after shifting himself there before half time.

....But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Yeah, but besides that what'd he ever do? Got to steer well clear of flash-in-the-pan battlers like him.

How can s**t be brilliant? :p

mxdWEHb.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back