Training 2020 Pre-Season Training - pics, reports etc

jezzatigerbrent

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Not a fair comparison.

Think about the differences in the lists.

I mean, their three-peat squad is nothing on our current team... :p
I heard that interview from Russell which was looking back at 13 + years with Hawthorn and was in fact empirical evidence that was the case with players who did and who didn't who do a complete preseason and it was 60%... And if only 4 players or less completed that percentage >> it guaranteed a finals finish.. [And the way Carlton finished fourth quarters in 2019 suggests that the Endurance base is key... And with luck and Less injuries that would be a massive bonus / w more contributors

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting statistic from Andrew Russell in his time at Hawthorn. “Anytime we had more than 4 players do less than 60% of pre season we struggled, it was a important stat for us. Anytime we had 4 or less we finished 3rd or above”.
It is a pretty small sample size. The one year they had a bad preseason they struggled coming off the back of a premiership.

I think we can put this in the basket of not statisically relevant. I don't like it because it gives teams an out. Self defeating talk like that results in seasons like the Demons had last year.

JuddgementDay

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It is a pretty small sample size. The one year they had a bad preseason they struggled coming off the back of a premiership.

I think we can put this in the basket of not statisically relevant. I don't like it because it gives teams an out. Self defeating talk like that results in seasons like the Demons had last year.
Also, it depends on the quality of the group and their level of maturity
Whilst AR was at the hawks he had a high quality and mature group of players to deal with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bluebunz

Debutant
Aug 20, 2009
here
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anyone confirm that Lukas Webb (ex-dog) is still training with us, and shed some light on his current progress?

Is he fully fit - just running or joining the main group in full training?

shagger

Team Captain
Jan 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
We can’t be playing Marchbank Plowman Jones and Weitering in the backline together. Way too slow. Which one misses out. Marchbank does. Every other player covers a role or is better at what Marchbank’s strengths are.
I suspect that's underestimating Plowman. We played with a number of small defenders but he was still taking the most dangerous small forwards. Cameron etc. His versatility is his strength and he is probably our best shut down defender of fast forwards.

ferrisb

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2011
The Naughty Corner
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anyone confirm that Lukas Webb (ex-dog) is still training with us, and shed some light on his current progress?

I read a statement somewhere that Webb will continue to train with us, despite us having no free list spots.

That we will consider picking him up as an SSP if we end up putting someone (Kemp?) on the LTI.

Aphrodite

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

I read a statement somewhere that Webb will continue to train with us, despite us having no free list spots.

That we will consider picking him up as an SSP if we end up putting someone (Kemp?) on the LTI.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Im not under estimating Plowman I’m playing him INFRONT of Marchbank.
The perception of Marchbank on this board is very strange imo. Most people declare him "clear best 22" but then when it actually comes down to it, he's clearly the one that has to miss out.

I think people love the idea of Marchbank more than what he actually brings. Talented junior, cost us a high pick, people want him to be a mainstay of the defence.

But his disposal is shaky under pressure, he's not quick, doesn't rebound with much authority, and isn't big enough to play on genuine key forwards. He's a pretty decent intercept mark but not as good as either Weitering or Jones in that regard. I also have slight question marks on his mental toughness/mongrel.

With the added spectre of a serious injury and long rehab stint this year, I'm not expecting big things from Marchy in 2020. He's still a talented player but he looms as a depth option until an opportunity arises.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The perception of Marchbank on this board is very strange imo. Most people declare him "clear best 22" but then when it actually comes down to it, he's clearly the one that has to miss out.

I think people love the idea of Marchbank more than what he actually brings. Talented junior, cost us a high pick, people want him to be a mainstay of the defence.

But his disposal is shaky under pressure, he's not quick, doesn't rebound with much authority, and isn't big enough to play on genuine key forwards. He's a pretty decent intercept mark but not as good as either Weitering or Jones in that regard. I also have slight question marks on his mental toughness/mongrel.

With the added spectre of a serious injury and long rehab stint this year, I'm not expecting big things from Marchy in 2020. He's still a talented player but he looms as a depth option until an opportunity arises.
Rubbish.
He's clearly best 22. He plays the 3rd tall position. It seems people can't remember his talent due to the injuries.

HARKER

Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Rubbish.
He's clearly best 22. He plays the 3rd tall position. It seems people can't remember his talent due to the injuries.
I can. Marchbank is easily best 22 as a talent.

The only thing that may get in his way, other than form or injury, is a possible need to be smaller in the back half.
That may or may not happen, but as far as Marchbank goes - He's a beauty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I can. Marchbank is easily best 22 as a talent.

The only thing that may get in his way, other than form or injury, is a possible need to be smaller in the back half.
That may or may not happen, but as far as Marchbank goes - He's a beauty.
In terms of the "too tall argument", people seem to mistake Plowman's role in the team.
While he's capable of playing the 3rd tall, it's not really what he's best suited to, or the most advantageous position for us.
Cutting up the likes of Charlie Cameron, standing Dusty etc. is what we need him for.
Then Marchy as the 3rd tall/intercept player.

HARKER

Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
In terms of the "too tall argument", people seem to mistake Plowman's role in the team.
While he's capable of playing the 3rd tall, it's not really what he's best suited to, or the most advantageous position for us.
Cutting up the likes of Charlie Cameron, standing Dusty etc. is what we need him for.
Then Marchy as the 3rd tall/intercept player.
I understand that about Plowman but I feel he's been given the 'odd' role too many times.
Too many mismatches, but he has made good. Quite a disciplined player is Plowman.

It may not be too tall but if one of Jones, Weitering, Plowman or Marchbank had to make way for speed, I feel it may be Marchbank.
That in no way detracts from thee player I think Marchbank is and will become.

WalshistheGOAT

Senior List
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Everyone knows Marchbank and Plowman have some sort of star crossed lovers chemistry when they play together. The outcome is greater than the sum of its parts. That being said, Marchbanks best is better than Plowmans and he has a far higher influence on games for better or for worse.

This yarn about him being slow or slowing down play is meme worthy, up there with 'Charlie needs to stop skateboarding'. Marchbanks issue has always been his aggressive and bold play style can backfire terribly via turnover or via injury to himself. Unfortunately when you're injured a third of every year and you come back trying to play like its round 1 after a full pre season, jumping over packs to spoil, playing on after every mark, taking the difficult kicks and pushing up the ground to almost play as an intercepting wingman, you aren't exactly going to show much consistency as the skills required to play that style are elite.

Extremely similar to Jones and Weiterbot last year, they didn't have the guidance of Doc and got tore to shreds weekly, spent an off season working on their chemistry and playing to their strengths and both were unbelievable this season. Marchy has the natural talent, just needs some continuity and confidence in his disposal and body. If fully fit best 22 every day of the week, if not, well then hes not.

PumpyChowdown

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2007
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SUNS Maple Leafs Titans Liverpool
Marchbank will struggle to get a game in 2020 IMO. I'm no where near as bullish on him as others are. His decision making is questionable and his execution is erratic.

Given our ins in defence, his long lay-off and team balance, he's going to have to work very hard to break into our best 22 if everyone is fully fit.

RedFury

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

IMO his only issue is injuries / continuity. It's difficult to show your best when you keep getting injured - missed no less than 6 games every season so far - usually significantly more.

If he could put together 1 full year (including pre-season) without getting injured people would start to see what the fuss was about. Unfortunately it can also affect development so may have already limited his ceiling a bit.

Top Bottom