Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Detailed observations.....sounds like you could be a physio yourself
Interested you said LOB has bulked up?....he is typically lean and a natural distance runner[a very good one]...LOB has quite a high ceiling in fact.
Kennedy i also have concerns,he lacks pace.Dow is still young but obviously will be no Walsh type at any stage,and will have to work a lot to improve,i dont want to rehash the usual,but he has been a little slow in his development even considering his age and the amount of opportunity he has already cost us.
I think Dow needs more Mongrel..in his game :thumbsu:
That tackle on Pendlebury though ... need more of it.

Les Bleus

Debutant
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
75481863_2650126971710694_8001957864144896000_n.jpg

I think Fish has a bit of a bunny boiler stare going on in the background

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
2020 Blues Pre-Season Player Preview Series

4. O'Brien.PNG

Player Name: L. O’Brien

Guernsey #: 4

Nickname/s: LOB

2019 Senior Games: 17

Key Stats: Disposals: 211 (12.4) Marks: 80 (4.7) Uncontested possessions: 158 (9.3) Tackles: 19 (1.1) Inside 50s: 38 (2.2) Metres gained: 4387 (258.1)

Height: 185

Weight: 78

Injury concerns: Nil

Primary Role: Wing

Best 22 Status: 22nd-25th

Strengths: Running ability, kicking, commitment, durability.

Weaknesses: Low production, very little contested game and tackling, inconsistency.

What they said: Assistant coach Brent Stanton works closely with Lochie, and was quick to show praise: “Lochie’s on a really good path,” Stanton said. “He’s an exciting kid to work with in wanting to learn and get better.

“[He has shown] what he can bring to our football team and that’s his run, his decision-making and especially his kicking and finish.”

The 411: Here’s the thing: Lochie is highly rated internally and for good reason. He’s a great kid with a strong willingness to make it at the top level. He has an elite running capacity and a great kick. He struggled – like many – in the first half of the year under Bolton’s system, but he gained more confidence and freedom with Teague in charge – and his results improved. His stat differential from his first six games (Bolton) to last 11 (Teague) where he didn't miss a game, improved across the board - with his disposals rising by 3.2 per game, marks by 0.6, 1.5 more effective disposals and spending an extra 8% time on ground.

Bigfooty best case: O’Brien is only just 20 with 35 games already under his belt. Like his fellow draftee Dow, LOB will have more competition for spots in 2020 – particularly with the likes of Newnes and Martin coming in. But with time, his inner drive and natural ability will see him become a very good player. If the Navy Blue #4 can demand and/or get more of his own ball in 2020 – pushing up to around 15-20 touches a game and getting on the end of a few more cream goals, he’ll be well on his way to becoming the player we hoped for when he was drafted in the top ten 2 years ago.

Next up: Sam Petrevski-Seton

Last edited:
Following our ASADA fine, the boys have all provided updated schedules of where they can be found between 6am and 11pm
  • Fisher: In the weights room (between 6am and 11pm)
  • McGovern: Stuck to Andrew Russell - three-legged race style (12am to 12am)
  • Charlie: Fitzroy Skate Park, near the basketball courts
  • Kreuzer: 1pm-4pm @ Melbourne Playback Theatre Company, mime workshop
  • Walsh: Boxing Ring, Tractor Gym, Port Adelaide. Will be the one wearing a t-shirt 'More Able than Kane'
  • O'Brien: At Princes Park all day. Unlikely to be found inside or in the middle of the ground
  • Plowman: Attending the Looking For Love workshop
  • Polson: Driving an uber, so may be on the move. But mostly waiting outside Bolton's house
  • Ed: 12-3pm at ACMI, attending a special screening of his favourite Audrey Hepburn film 'Funny Face'

Last edited:
Here are the training details I didn't see when I didn't go to training....
  • Cripps was playing in the ruck. Over the years Cripps has taken his speed, kicking, outside game and goalkicking to new levels. He was getting bored and needed a new challenge. This is the real reason we offloaded BOTH Lobbe and Phillips.
  • Stocker offered to do an extra drill today, but in exchange downgrade from a hard drill to an easy drill at a future training session. The coaches had no idea what he was talking about and SOS had to come and explain.
  • Simpson was not at training. This week was 1-4 year players, 5-8 years start next week, 9+ start the week after. Simmo is scheduled to commence his pre-season in July.
  • McGovern was told he had the most outrageous Movember moustache going on. Mitch had no idea what people were talking about.
  • Walsh all the coaches thought he was the best performer for the session. Well, except for John Barker, who said several players would end up better trainers than Walsh in a few years. Everyone suspects Barker was trolling.
  • SPS brought Jack Martin to watch the session. Apparently Martin was also invited to watch Melbourne train, but his manager RSVPd no thanks
  • Owies was seen working on his mid-range jumpshot
  • Willamson was hard to tell what he was doing as my eyesight was blurred. I swear the guy next to me was cutting onions for about 20 minutes

Following our ASADA fine, the boys have all provided updated schedules of where they can found between 6am and 11pm
  • Walsh: Tractor Gym, Port Adelaide. Will be the one wearing a t-shirt 'More Able than Kane'
  • O'Brien: At Princes Park all day. Unlikely to be found inside or in the middle of the ground
  • Polson: Driving an uber, so may be on the move. But mostly waiting outside Bolton's house
  • Ed: 12-3pm at ACMI, attending a special screening of his favourite Audrey Hepburn film 'Funny Face'

We were fined by ASADA for delayed information from four players. They have finally submitted their locations
  • Weitering 6:05-11pm at Lido Cinemas. The session of Terminator: Dark Fate does not start til 6:45 but he has allocated 40 mins prior to find parking and decide which choc-top flavour he dislikes the most. He will not order any. 10-11pm he will be signing posters of the film in the foyer.
  • SPS 7:30-10pm @ Olympic Blvd, Professional Bull Riders Melbourne Invitational
  • Stocker 5-7pm @ DS Internet Cafe, 179 Grattan St, Carlton. Trolling Adelaide supporters
  • Newman 11am-2pm at Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, attending the Sourcing Expo Australia
    • @ Tom Papley also submitted the same time/destination to ASADA

Last edited:

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Following our ASADA fine, the boys have all provided updated schedules of where they can found between 6am and 11pm
  • Walsh: Tractor Gym, Port Adelaide. Will be the one wearing a t-shirt 'More Able than Kane'
  • Cripps was playing in the ruck. Over the years Cripps has taken his speed, kicking, outside game and goalkicking to new levels. He was getting bored and needed a new challenge. This is the real reason we offloaded BOTH Lobbe and Phillips.
  • Stocker offered to do an extra drill today, but in exchange downgrade from a hard drill to an easy drill at a future training session. The coaches had no idea what he was talking about and SOS had to come and explain.
  • Simpson was not at training. This week was 1-4 year players, 5-8 years start next week, 9+ start the week after. Simmo is scheduled to commence his pre-season in July.
  • McGovern was told he had the most outrageous Movember moustache going on. Mitch had no idea what people were talking about.
  • Walsh all the coaches thought he was the best performer for the session. Well, except for John Barker, who said several players would end up better trainers than Walsh in a few years. Everyone suspects Barker was trolling.
  • SPS brought Jack Martin to watch the session. Apparently Martin was also invited to watch Melbourne train, but his manager RSVPd no thanks
  • Willamson was hard to tell what he was doing as my eyesight was blurred. I swear the guy next to me was cutting onions for about 20 minutes
You continue to excite, ferris. Love your work.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea

SOS went to buy a latte at the Cafe but was overruled by Liddle and ordered to buy a ......short black ......

Last edited:

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Some of the young guys looking strong through the shoulders. Brought up a weakness last year about our ability to break the first tackle and dish off effectively but also tackle well enough to prevent the opposition doing the same. Will be massive when we can get this right. Hoping we're stronger in the contest this year.

Back