Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving all the training reports. :thumbsu:

Thank you all.

Don't forget to copy them over to the Training Blog and add the #TrackTalk hashtag

I liked Pittonet too. Moves pretty well, clean set shot, very strong and didn't look out of place in the transition drills.

Didn't realise how much presence Setterfield has.

There are some guys who just have this aura of eliteness around them. Cripps, Walsh, Weitering and now Setterfield.

Looked more like a 4th year player than a second hey?!

Breakout year beckons.

I liked Pittonet too. Moves pretty well, clean set shot, very strong and didn't look out of place in the transition drills.

Didn't realise how much presence Setterfield has.

There are some guys who just have this aura of eliteness around them. Cripps, Walsh, Weitering and now Setterfield.
Pittonet moves like a midfielder, not a ruckman. Big upside.

I was at training this morning also and heard off the grapevine that H is managing some groin issues and this person should know, didn’t get much more detail than that. Hopefully it’s not too bad but looks like both Charlie and Harry will have interrupted pre seasons which is a shame.

Overall was a sharp session I felt - will add to the training reports later.

Not a detailed report as this time of the year isn't particularly exciting, so just some of the main points that caught my eye.

Session started off as though the guys were asleep.
I haven't seen so many kicks getting sprayed as in the first half hour today and when the kicking was over it was about ground ball pick-ups. I dare say this was possibly worse, with the amount of double-handling and failing to collect the ball going on. Reckon Bolton would have let out a few expletives here.
Stocker looked to have sprained a finger when he dropped a mark and held onto his hand for a while until the pain subsided. I thought we had our first casualty for the day in a warm-up drill.....anyway.

Cripps looks terrific ands it's more than 2 kgs he's dropped. Looks decidedly slimmer. His goal-kicking was on the mark. Will spend time forward.
Walsh. Hard to take your eyes off him and just about everything he does is of a very high standard. He rarely takes long to work out the best option.
Cuningham. same as last year, I guess. He's weaving through traffic is A-grade to me. Finds a gap where there isn't one for most players.
Williamson. May sound odd but I can just watch him run glide. Beautiful running style with a high back-kick and has that good burst to seperate.
Cottrell: As per previous. Just looks a player and does many things well at training. Can't see how he slipped to a pick we didn't use on him.
SPS: Looks like it's the back-line for Sam. Team used him as the exit player in drills. Did a very good job I have to say with delivery forward.
Setterfield: It's starting to show isn't it? Holds his feet at stoppages very well and frees his arms as well as (almost as well as) Cripps. Big year coming up.
Stocker looked awful early but picked his output up in the second half of the day. The ball can travel when it leaves his boot.
Betts: What I liked was his instruction through the ball movement drills. He should be handy at worse for us, next year.
Polson: It's the longest I've seen him kick. Didn't look bad at all today.
Newnes: Kept forgetting about him. Keep a sharper lookout for him next time.

Most of the other players looked like themselves I guess. Macreadie looked a little stronger through the hips and legs seem to be bigger.
One last thing on Cottrell: When he stands next to his team-mates he looks like the 181cm he's listed at. In drills he looks 188. I've never come across that before. It's a really odd thing and I know it's just me, but that's a huge difference.
Just good to see Docherty on the track and involved. Slowly, slowly.

Some fun at the end of day with set shot goal-kicking.
Hard to say whether it's all a little too laid back, but then again it is only November.

Not a detailed report as this time of the year isn't particularly exciting, so just some of the main points that caught my eye.

I haven't seen so many kicks getting sprayed as in the first half hour today and when the kicking was over it was about ground ball pick-ups. I dare say this was possibly worse, with the amount of double-handling and failing to collect the ball going on. Reckon Bolton would have let out a few expletives here.
Stocker looked to have sprained a finger when he dropped a mark and held onto his hand for a while until the pain subsided. I thought we had our first casualty for the day in a warm-up drill.....anyway.

Cripps looks terrific ands it's more than 2 kgs he's dropped. Looks decidedly slimmer. His goal-kicking was on the mark. Will spend time forward.
Walsh. Hard to take your eyes off him and just about everything he does is of a very high standard. He rarely takes long to work out the best option.
Cuningham. same as last year, I guess. He's weaving through traffic is A-grade to me. Finds a gap where there isn't one for most players.
Williamson. May sound odd but I can just watch him run glide. Beautiful running style with a high back-kick and has that good burst to seperate.
Cottrell: As per previous. Just looks a player and does many things well at training. Can't see how he slipped to a pick we didn't use on him.
SPS: Looks like it's the back-line for Sam. Team used him as the exit player in drills. Did a very good job I have to say with delivery forward.
Setterfield: It's starting to show isn't it? Holds his feet at stoppages very well and frees his arms as well as (almost as well as) Cripps. Big year coming up.
Stocker looked awful early but picked his output up in the second half of the day. The ball can travel when it leaves his boot.
Betts: What I liked was his instruction through the ball movement drills. He should be handy at worse for us, next year.

Most of the other players looked like themselves I guess. Macreadie looked a little stronger through the hips and legs seem to be bigger.
One last thing on Cottrell: When he stands next to his team-mates he looks like the 181cm he's listed at. In drills he looks 188. I've never come across that before. It's a really odd thing and I know it's just me, but that's a huge difference.

Hard to say whether it's all a little too laid back, but then again it is only November.
Agree his disposal was off, but it was worth noting that most of his kicking was to the most aggressive option in the corridor. Obviously this decision-making needs to be tidied up until he can routinely pull these off, but I love the confidence and aggression to go for it more often than not. Training is where you want to be making errors.

Only one training session I know but watch out for Cottrell next year.
This isn't a late rookie nor afterthought type. He has it.
His kicking impressed me during a few vfl games last year and can obviously run like crazy. I reckon he can see time as a winger next year or even a pressure forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In addition to that list...

Murphy: seasoned professional, looked good...

Dow: Trained hard and looks like his kicking for goal has improved - looks in great shape

Kennedy: Looks in great shape, has dropped weight. Thought I saw him with the midfield group? Certainly has the assets. He has a beautiful boot. More of last year.

O'Brien: Like how he trains, but can't help but to think he could be putting in some extra yards in the gym. Wasn't as conditioned (muscle-wise) as the rest of his teammate and fear that he may struggle to stick tackles... Very, very happy to be proven wrong. Beautiful left peg

Kreuzer: Looks in career best shape, if I'm honest. On light duties but looks like he's taken a couple of years off the clock, body wise. Goal kicking style looked a bit different - was working close with Sav at training. Liked what I saw

Simpson: seasoned professional; doesn't look a day over 25. Trains that way too

McGovern: In amazing shape!! Looked fierce and determined. Think AR has done wonders. If he still kicked goals last season unfit, then a 40+ goal season looms in this form

De Koning: Looks super sharp. Can't wait til he's got a few more games under his belt. Looks the part.

Jones: Looked in good nick. Skills were good, I thought. Amazing how much he's turned his career around.

Docherty: Good to see him on the park. Participated in all drills and exercises, pretty much, at same intensity as others

Lang: Looked good, didn't impress me. Doesn't like running, I feel. Might be a make or break season for him.

Plowman: Looks good, but skills were questionable. Fumbled quite a bit in the kick rotations and run and carry drills. Really needs to work hard on this

Marchbank: Good to see him back on the ground. Was unconditioned, but understandable with the injury he had. Kept to running and light skills. Of the kicks I did see, they were very nice.

Weitering: He's a Rolls Royce out there. Skills, body, focus - a cut above the others. He'll be the play that hits a target with pinpoint finesse, but then spear-tackle through a brick wall. Just stands out above his peers.

Newman: Looks good - didn't have a keen eye on him but participated well in kicking rotation drills

Fisher: Looks in great form; sharp and quick. Skills sublime and kicking was great as the session progressed. Good shot for goal too. Has a great left boot. has put on 2-3kg in the off-season. Won't be ragdolled next year.

MacCreadie: Caught my eye at the start of training. Looked really, really good. Went off about 45mins in training looking ginger. Came back on for light duties. Overheard calf tightness?

Curnow: Looks amazing. Ran all training without missing a beat. Did running splits with Eddie and absolutely smoked him everytime (as much as I love Eddie!)

B.Silvagni: Great shape, looks the part. Skills were pretty good. Shots for goal were terrible. Think he will be a player.

O'Dwyer: Amazing conditioning. Echo other posters. Has put on weight, but not as much as people would think. Maybe put on 2-3kg in the off-season, but he's just absolutely ripped - crazy conditioning - must be 6-8% body fat I reckons. That is incredible for a man as young as him - shows dedication and discipline off-field. Reckon he's about 83-85kg at a guess. Great skills, strong mark, good kick for goal. Think we might have found another player in him.

Casboult: Absolute unit of a bloke. Was doing laps with Kruez and some ruck drills. Looks in great shape.

Last edited:
2020 Blues Pre-Season Player Preview Series

11. McGovern.PNG
(Above: McGovern does his best Zac Fisher impersonation at preseason training)

Player Name: Mitch McGovern

Guernsey #: 11

Nickname/s: Brackets, Gov, McG

2019 Senior Games: 16

Key Stats: Disposals: 136 (8.5) Marks: 60 (3.8) Contested possessions: 53 (3.3) Tackles: 24 (1.5) Inside 50s: 36 (2.3) Score involvements: 58 (3.6) Goals: 22

Height: 191

Weight: 93

Injury concerns: None to speak of (praised be)

Primary Role: Medium Forward

Best 22 Status: Best 22

Strengths: X-factor, aerial ability, acceleration

Weaknesses: Consistency, fitness

What they said: Assistant Coach Dale Amos: “He’s a real power athlete, Mitch: he’s building up his resilience to be able to cope with what he’s able to do physically,” he said. “He’s certainly in good shape and ready to attack a pre-season.”

What he said: “To be able to start on day one [of preseason], it’s a good change for me,” McGovern told Carlton Media.

“‘Jack’ Russell is obviously going to take the reins with us. He’ll help me out a fair bit to get me to where I need to be.”

“I haven’t really set out any goals for the year itself: it’s more the pre-season that I’m focusing on,” he said.

The 411: Gov had an eventful first season in Navy Blue. He managed to kick the second-most goals behind Harry McKay despite struggling to train and play to the full extent of his ability all season. Brackets was famously sent back to ‘fat camp’ to do an exhaustive and intensive month block with Russell, which resulted in him stripping some weight and coming back in far better shape to finish the year strongly. Already having turned up early to preseason, Mitch has signaled his intention to have a far bigger impact in Season 2020 – a fantastic thing for the club.

Bigfooty best case: McGovern’s move to Carlton was met with mixed reactions from fans, but SOS (and new Head Coach Teague) believed the medium forward could become a long-term player for the club – possessing some great AFL qualities. If he can continue his early preseason intent up and hit Round 1 at full flight, we could easily see a 40-goal McGovern – providing us with clutch marks and some special goals to get us off our seats. I’d personally love to see Gov playing freely and making a more regular impact. With Charlie out for a little longer, he may need to – like Harry – step up a bit more. But with a stronger fitness base, this should be possible.

Next up: Tom ‘The King’ De Koning

In addition to that list...

Murphy: seasoned professional, looked good...

Dow: Trained hard and looks like his kicking for goal has improved - looks in great shape

Kennedy: Looks in great shape, has dropped weight. Thought I saw him with the midfield group? Certainly has the assets. He has a beautiful boot. More of last year.

O'Brien: Like how he trains, but can't help but to think he could be putting in some extra yards in the gym. Wasn't as conditioned (muscle-wise) as the rest of his teammate and fear that he may struggle to stick tackles... Very, very happy to be proven wrong. Beautiful left peg

Kreuzer: Looks in career best shape, if I'm honest. On light duties but looks like he's taken a couple of years off the clock, body wise. Goal kicking style looked a bit different - was working close with Sav at training. Liked what I saw

Simpson: seasoned professional; doesn't look a day over 25. Trains that way too

McGovern: In amazing shape!! Looked fierce and determined. Think AR has done wonders. If he still kicked goals last season unfit, then a 40+ goal season looms in this form

De Koning: Looks super sharp. Can't wait til he's got a few more games under his belt. Looks the part.

Jones: Looked in good nick. Skills were good, I thought. Amazing how much he's turned his career around.

Docherty: Good to see him on the park. Participated in all drills and exercises, pretty much, at same intensity as others

Lang: Looked good, didn't impress me. Doesn't like running, I feel. Might be a make or break season for him.

Plowman: Looks good, but skills were questionable. Fumbled quite a bit in the kick rotations and run and carry drills. Really needs to work hard on this

Marchbank: Good to see him back on the ground. Was unconditioned, but understandable with the injury he had. Kept to running and light skills. Of the kicks I did see, they were very nice.

Weitering: He's a Rolls Royce out there. Skills, body, focus - a cut above the others. He'll be the play that hits a target with pinpoint finesse, but then spear-tackle through a brick wall. Just stands out above his peers.

Newman: Looks good - didn't have a keen eye on him but participated well in kicking rotation drills

Fisher: Looks in great form; sharp and quick. Skills sublime and kicking was great as the session progressed. Good shot for goal too. Has a great left boot. has put on 2-3kg in the off-season. Won't be ragdolled next year.

MacCreadie: Caught my eye at the start of training. Looked really, really good. Went off about 45mins in training looking ginger. Came back on for light duties. Overheard calf tightness?

Curnow: Looks amazing. Ran all training without missing a beat. Did running splits with Eddie and absolutely smoked him everytime (as much as I love Eddie!)

B.Silvagni: Great shape, looks the part. Skills were pretty good. Shots for goal were terrible. Think he will be a player.

O'Dwyer: Amazing conditioning. Echo other posters. Has put on weight, but not as much as people would think. Maybe put on 2-3kg in the off-season, but he's just absolutely ripped - crazy conditioning - must be 6-8% body fat I reckons. That is incredible for a man as young as him - shows dedication and discipline off-field. Reckon he's about 83-85kg at a guess. Great skills, strong mark, good kick for goal. Think we might have found another player in him.

Casboult: Absolute unit of a bloke. Was doing laps with Kruez and some ruck drills. Looks in great shape.
The eyes are reading this about Finbar but it's not being picked up by the brain yet ... must read another dozen times

The next Fyfe watch out ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back