Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah...nah. Jones is in the best few intercept marks in the league. Marchbank is good, Jones is next level.

Think that's to do with the difference in physicality.

Marchy reads the game a lot better than Jones, who has an inclination to overcommit to a really ambitious play and occasionally get burnt. But Jones has the athleticism and confidence in his own body to get to contests he has no right getting to, and to make an impact when he gets there.

I actually wouldn't mind Marchy spending a season building up his body to a point where he could potentially take over from Jones as the second key defender. Right now I think he's a bit tentative, and with good reason given his horrid run of luck.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Think that's to do with the difference in physicality.

Marchy reads the game a lot better than Jones, who has an inclination to overcommit to a really ambitious play and occasionally get burnt. But Jones has the athleticism and confidence in his own body to get to contests he has no right getting to, and to make an impact when he gets there.

I actually wouldn't mind Marchy spending a season building up his body to a point where he could potentially take over from Jones as the second key defender. Right now I think he's a bit tentative, and with good reason given his horrid run of luck.
No argument with any of that. I do think the Jones 'brainfade' argument gets overplayed quite a bit though...he is a hell of a good defender, and will take some dislodging.

Marchy in front of Plowman anyday.
Based on? Pretty sure Plowman would be in the first half dozen magnets thrown on the board. Coaches love durable, minimum fuss players who turn up and do their job each week.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
No argument with any of that. I do think the Jones 'brainfade' argument gets overplayed quite a bit though...he is a hell of a good defender, and will take some dislodging.

For sure, it's not catastrophic, it's just one of those quirks of his game. His game sense is just that little bit off sometimes, and he can occasionally overestimate his ability to do something special. Marchy is "safer", without being as dynamic. I'd love to see Jones in the side for another 12-18 months, while Marchbank gets his body right and builds his frame, because I think long-term he and Weitering would make for a ridiculously strong pairing. Short term, Jones can be used to buy Marchy the time he needs.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
For sure, it's not catastrophic, it's just one of those quirks of his game. His game sense is just that little bit off sometimes, and he can occasionally overestimate his ability to do something special. Marchy is "safer", without being as dynamic. I'd love to see Jones in the side for another 12-18 months, while Marchbank gets his body right and builds his frame, because I think long-term he and Weitering would make for a ridiculously strong pairing. Short term, Jones can be used to buy Marchy the time he needs.
Would rather just keep playing Jones, who is a gun. Has 3-4 years left.

Weiters/Jones/Plow/Doch would be the first 4 defenders picked every day of the week

After that you've got 3 more positions to fit in
Marchbank, SPS, Newman, Williamson, Simmo, (I feel like I'm forgetting someone else here)

Considering injuries and the flexibility of a few of those players have I wouldn't worry too much about who is "best 22" they'll all have their time in the seniors over the year if fit.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Marchy in front of Plowman anyday.
Kills any flexibility with the defence and lose one of our best endurance runners.

Plowman gets the s**t jobs and does it well. Take him out we are so much worse off. Kept both Charlie Cameron and Dusty goalless last season, rare territory for any defender.

Plowman will be one of the first picked each week.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Kills any flexibility with the defence and lose one of our best endurance runners.

Plowman gets the s**t jobs and does it well. Take him out we are so much worse off. Kept both Charlie Cameron and Dusty goalless last season, rare territory for any defender.

Plowman will be one of the first picked each week.

Never ceases to amaze.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
Saying he is slow is underestimating him. As I said, he plays very well on the opposition's most dangerous small forwards. Ahead of our smaller defenders.
Read my post. I didn’t say Plowman was slow I said the group with Marchbank (which was arguing with Stamos about Marchbank included in the back 4) I’m talking about Marchbank mainly being too slow. Plowman would be the fastest of the entire tall group. I ******* love Plowman. We need three smalls. 2 of which should be elite run and carry players and 1 should bend defensive stopper (taken up by plow). No need for 3 tall intercept players.

2020 Blues Pre-Season Player Preview Series

View attachment 788489
Stocker put in another GQ cover-worthy effort with this early-preseason shot.

Player Name: Liam Stocker

Guernsey #: 13

Nickname/s: Stock, ‘Pick 19 in the The Stocker Trade’, Liam Stoker

2019 Senior Games: 5

Key Stats: Disposals: 68 (13.6) Rebound 50s: 12 (2.4) Contested possessions: 20 (4) Tackles: 9 (1.8) Pressure acts 64 (12.8) Metres gained: 962 (192.5)

Height: 184

Weight: 83

Injury concerns: Nil

Primary Role: Midfielder

Best 22 Status: Developing/Fringe

Strengths: Competitiveness, professionalism, dual-sided kicking

Weaknesses: Running ability

What they said: The second-year Blue was doing extras before training even began for preseason, his presence and commitment clearly having an impact, with teammate Mitch McGovern super impressed back in November: “Liam Stocker actually impressed me: he opened my eyes up,” he said.

“He had a little bit of niggle over the off-season, but he’s come back in pretty good nick and he looks a lot lighter and a lot more energetic on his feet.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.”

The 411: Stocker re-signed last month until the end of 2022, with both he and the club showing enormous faith in the direction of both the club and his role in the next era of success at Carlton. He broke into the senior side early in his first year – Round 7 – showing that he won’t take long to develop at VFL level. A foot injury partly derailed his progress, but five AFL games can be seen as an early success for the first ever player drafted as a result of a live trade. Stock has class, natural football ability and the right mindset to succeed at the top level – in whatever role he’s given.

Bigfooty best case: The now famous pick 19 is tracking nicely and you won’t find many Blues fans who don’t rate this kid. His varied skillset means that he may start his career as a role player – off the half back, tagging or on the fringes of the midfield. But with a full preseason and a mindset perhaps only rivalled by Cripps, Doc and Walsh in Navy Blue, Stocker has all the tools to make it at the top level. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see him become a regular in our top side next season – pushing for a Rising Star podium finish by the business end of 2020.

Next up: Liam Jones

Matty next year … this deserves its own stand alone thread mate I reckon. Awesome s**t mate!

View attachment 788489

Key Stats: Disposals: 68 (13.6) Rebound 50s: 12 (2.4) Contested possessions: 20 (4) Tackles: 9 (1.8) Pressure acts 64 (12.8) Metres gained: 962 (192.5)

What they said: The second-year Blue was doing extras before training even began for preseason, his presence and commitment clearly having an impact, with teammate Mitch McGovern super impressed back in November: “Liam Stocker actually impressed me: he opened my eyes up,” he said.

“He had a little bit of niggle over the off-season, but he’s come back in pretty good nick and he looks a lot lighter and a lot more energetic on his feet.

The 411: Stocker re-signed last month until the end of 2022, with both he and the club showing enormous faith in the direction of both the club and his role in the next era of success at Carlton. He broke into the senior side early in his first year – Round 7 – showing that he won’t take long to develop at VFL level. A foot injury partly derailed his progress, but five AFL games can be seen as an early success for the first ever player drafted as a result of a live trade. Stock has class, natural football ability and the right mindset to succeed at the top level – in whatever role he’s given.

Bigfooty best case: The now famous pick 19 is tracking nicely and you won’t find many Blues fans who don’t rate this kid. His varied skillset means that he may start his career as a role player – off the half back, tagging or on the fringes of the midfield. But with a full preseason and a mindset perhaps only rivalled by Cripps, Doc and Walsh in Navy Blue, Stocker has all the tools to make it at the top level. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see him become a regular in our top side next season – pushing for a Rising Star podium finish by the business end of 2020.

You also forgot ... kid has mongrel!

View attachment 788489

#stealofthedraft

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Matty next year … this deserves its own stand alone thread mate I reckon. Awesome s**t mate!

Keep up ffs.

Matty411 don’t forget to update the above thread ;)

Keep up ffs.

Yeah Matty you slacker ....

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
Keep up ffs.

Don't let some *er harvest your likes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back