Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Kills any flexibility with the defence and lose one of our best endurance runners.

Plowman gets the s**t jobs and does it well. Take him out we are so much worse off. Kept both Charlie Cameron and Dusty goalless last season, rare territory for any defender.

Plowman will be one of the first picked each week.
Let's face it, every defender gets a s**t job.

It'll never happen, but would be fascinating if they moved Plow into a defensive mid role once Ed pulls the pin.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I love Diesel

Yeah, i'm very pleased he is doing the role he is.

Diesel is both very complex yet very simple. A pretty unique bloke. Not the most likeable bloke from all reports(yet not widely disliked either) but hugely respected by all in regards to footy.

Rapt he's working with our young mids and others. Diesel is prone to fondness of his own work lol, but i reckon he's genuinely on the Dow Train clicking into gear. Dow has always struck me as a slow burn but a big result type kid. I think he is a bit more immature than some of his peers both mentally and physically. Whether it be at 20 or 21, i reckon he'll go bang when it clicks.

I dunno what it was(probably irrelevant lol) but i just was hoping we wouldn't draft his young bro. I just reckon Paddy is maturing into himself. Kinda like Weiters before him.

Anyways, yeah, Diesel was an all time great.

choo

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Clinic across the road.
AFL Club
Carlton

Diesel is both very complex yet very simple. A pretty unique bloke. Not the most likeable bloke from all reports(yet not widely disliked either) but hugely respected by all in regards to footy.

Rapt he's working with our young mids and others. Diesel is prone to fondness of his own work lol, but i reckon he's genuinely on the Dow Train clicking into gear. Dow has always struck me as a slow burn but a big result type kid. I think he is a bit more immature than some of his peers both mentally and physically. Whether it be at 20 or 21, i reckon he'll go bang when it clicks.

I dunno what it was(probably irrelevant lol) but i just was hoping we wouldn't draft his young bro. I just reckon Paddy is maturing into himself. Kinda like Weiters before him.

I remember talking to Sticks one day at a pub and asking him about Diesel. I asked him why Diesel call him 'Kernahan' and not Sticks?' Like everyone else
He laughed and said;
"He's unique, he's weird, he's not that friendly he's a champion and he knows it. I love him"

choo

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Clinic across the road.
AFL Club
Carlton

Oh, and I love the Dow wrap too. Diesel doesn't hand out compliments easily

Let's face it, every defender gets a s**t job.

It'll never happen, but would be fascinating if they moved Plow into a defensive mid role once Ed pulls the pin.
We are on the same wavelength here
Plow already has a defensive mindset

Mar 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I won't enter the 'best 22' debate, but he's easily a better intercept mark then Jones. Not much would separate him, Weitering and Doc at their best.
I can't remember if it was this year or the year before but Jones was the number 1 intercept mark in the competition before he got injured. He is in a class above Marchbank in that area, but Marchbank is also very strong in the air.

The role of Weitering, Jones and Marchbank when the ball is inside our 50 is to play across the middle of the ground mopping up any lose/bombed kicks out and imo are the best three in the competition at that very role. Which is why we need maximum pressure in our forward 50 so they can do their magic.

Mar 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea

I have mentioned this before so hope not repeating myself to much but you are exactly right regarding Dow.

I sat next to the Diesel on a VIP table a few months ago at a Champions of Carlton dinner here in Perth and I asked about Dow, knowing he was working closely with him and he said Dow was very immature in body and mentality last year and was thrown in the deep end a bit under Bolts, he has no doubt that Dow will make it with his speed and desire.

Diesel also said Walsh was the best first year player he has ever seen in his time in football.

Dooky

All Australian
Oct 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spurs, Phoenix Suns
Absolutely brilliant the boys get to learn the skills caper from one of, if not the, finest exponents of the art of handball the game has ever seen. To be fair had a ripper kick on him too, both left and right.

From his interview:

Practice is still king, it doesn’t matter if you’re a Brownlow Medallist or a new draftee.

It takes a lot of work to get the perfect technique. You need to have a technique where you have confidence in every facet of the game.”

There’s potential to do a lot of things, but as far as I’m concerned we’re third last. We’ve got to win early games and build our confidence,” he said.

I like how he doesn't mince his words and can imagine he communicates well with the players.

The man speaks wisdom, players should really be hanging on every word while they have the opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Jones - Astbury/Davis/Roughead
Weitering - Rance/Taylor/Moore
Plowman - Grimes/Corr/Maynard
Marchbank - Broad/Haynes/Howe
SPS - Houli/Kennedy/Phillips
Doc - Vlaustin/Whitfield/Crisp
Simpson - Baker/Shaw/Noble

The best 3 teams this year compared to us. There is a spot for Marchy if he wants it enough. 4 mobile talls (1 x lockdown, 1 x “gorilla”, 2 x interceptors) and 3 smaller distributors seems to be the go.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

The best 3 teams this year compared to us. There is a spot for Marchy if he wants it enough. 4 mobile talls (1 x lockdown, 1 x “gorilla”, 2 x interceptors) and 3 smaller distributors seems to be the go.

Question - how often did those teams roll out that specific set of players?

Ie. Have you taken those names from a consistent starting 22, or just from each team's respective squad list?

No snark here, genuinely curious.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Question - how often did those teams roll out that specific set of players?

Ie. Have you taken those names from a consistent starting 22, or just from each team's respective squad list?

No snark here, genuinely curious.

From the most recent prelim and grand final teams.

-I used Rance instead of Short who I feel is the most likely one to drop out. It was him or Baker.
-I didn’t use Hopper who was named at hbf but plays predominantly midfield. Either Whitfield or Williams were suitable.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd think it's based on needs too.

Richmond you'd not go too tall at the back, new Saint line up you probably would?

I'd have plowman ahead of marchbank in the team but on balance, not necessarily talent.

It's up to Caleb to string it together and win either Jones or lachie's spot for me.
Not sure Richmond are a great example of a small forward line any more; they've evolved from the '17 makeup of 1 tall, 2-3 mid sized players plus smalls.

I'd guess next season they look something along the lines of this:

FF: Lynch (199)
CHF: Riewold (193)
3RD TALL & RELIEF RUCK: Soldo (204) / Chol (200) / Balta (194)
MID-FWD: Caddy (186) / Martin (187) / Lambert (178) / Pickett (184)
HHF: Rioli (178)
SMALL FWD: Castagna (181) / Higgins (177)

I'd definitely be wanting to play Jones, Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman along with a couple of the 'smaller types' in Doc/SPS/Simmo/Newman/Willo/etc.

iAsbestos

All Australian
Nov 22, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

Pretty good comparison

It's
images (66).jpeg

Bitches!

Back