Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Feva

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Did anyone else notice that Lucas Webb (Dogs) is still training with us? Was there on Monday. Don't recall him being picked in the rookie draft or as a delisted free agent. Has he been picked up by us yet?

Feva

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd be interested to hear from those who attended the last training session what their reading on an approx. best 22 might look like, based on what they saw on the track. Or even some kind of ranking who they thought might make the cut as the 7th smaller defender (alongside Doc, Weits, Plow, Jones & Simmo), what the current forward line might resemble sans Charlie & Harry (Mitch, Eddie, DC, Martin, Levi..... Jack? Kennedy? etc)

Mr_Plow windows1 Windhover BlueAbroad

My best 22 team at this stage:

B Newman Jones Simpson
HB Docherty Weitering Marchbank/Plowman
C O'Brien E Curnow Murphy
HF Gibbons C Curnow Cuningham/Martin
F Betts McKay McGovern

R Kreuzer Cripps Walsh

I/C Petrevski-Seton Fischer Setterfield Dow/JSOS

Others: Casboult Williamson Newnes Stocker De Koning Kennedy Lang Polson Goddard McCreadie Pittonet

A fair way off: Kemp Philp Ramsay Honey B Silvagni Odwyer Phillips Owies Cottrell

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

Thank you for always linking social media posts. Makes it so much more convenient to just come here and access everything.

You're always very on top of it and it adds such a valuable contribution to this community - really appreciate it 👍

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Thank you for always linking social media posts. Makes it so much more convenient to just come here and access everything.

You're always very on top of it and it adds such a valuable contribution to this community - really appreciate it 👍

I'm Aph it's what I do ;)

You've welcome Brackets.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

B Newman Jones Simpson
F Betts McKay McGovern

R Kreuzer Cripps Walsh

Others: Casboult Williamson Newnes Stocker De Koning Kennedy Lang Polson Goddard McCreadie Pittonet

A fair way off: Kemp Philp Ramsay Honey B Silvagni Odwyer Phillips Owies Cottrell

Pretty decent effort but I would think Martin and Cuningham are well ahead of Gibbons for the half forward spots. The other contentious one would be O'Brien - Newnes, Stocker, Williamson, Dow, Jsos and Kennedy would all be fighting for his spot in the 22 (not necessarily his position) so it will be interesting to see how the pre-season unfolds.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Hasn't been much chat about Martin. WOuld be very interested to hear how he is going...
Great kick, in the easy power Yarran mould. Easily in our top handful.

Laconic trainer...on the couple of sessions I've seen, until such time as he needs to tackle someone, whereupon he goes all red mist.

Tjblues

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Did anyone else notice that Lucas Webb (Dogs) is still training with us? Was there on Monday. Don't recall him being picked in the rookie draft or as a delisted free agent. Has he been picked up by us yet?
I believe he’s essentially training as cover and will be added to the list if someone is moved to the LTI list. One would imagine that if that doesn’t occur he will likely be offered a contract at the NBs but I don’t think anything of that nature has been announced

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Spot on... 4 years seeems to be when it all starts coming together for most youngsters, and we've had a few with injury interruptions that has stalled things too like Charlie Harry Cunners.
I've been very bullish at the beginning of every year myself but honestly i think the age/games demographic this year is probably the most realistic expectation we've had leading into any season to date so far.
Fingers crossed we can have a reasonable run at it so our classy youngsters can showcase there potential...
You can probably add Martin into that group as well FBB, although he has been around for the same time as Cripps his development has been stunted being at Gold Coast.

Canyouhearthedrums

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Great kick, in the easy power Yarran mould. Easily in our top handful.

Laconic trainer...on the couple of sessions I've seen, until such time as he needs to tackle someone, whereupon he goes all red mist.

Yeah his tackling has always been at odds with the general lack of engagement that he seems to convey. Suggests there is plenty to work with.

Kernafides

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Old Social Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty decent effort but I would think Martin and Cuningham are well ahead of Gibbons for the half forward spots. The other contentious one would be O'Brien - Newnes, Stocker, Williamson, Dow, Jsos and Kennedy would all be fighting for his spot in the 22 (not necessarily his position) so it will be interesting to see how the pre-season unfolds.

I'd almost have Levi ahead of Charlie or Harry at this point...neither have had a pre season and there is no back up ruckman in that spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd be interested to hear from those who attended the last training session what their reading on an approx. best 22 might look like, based on what they saw on the track. Or even some kind of ranking who they thought might make the cut as the 7th smaller defender (alongside Doc, Weits, Plow, Jones & Simmo), what the current forward line might resemble sans Charlie & Harry (Mitch, Eddie, DC, Martin, Levi..... Jack? Kennedy? etc)

Mr_Plow windows1 Windhover BlueAbroad

Kreuzer Ruck. Pittonet backup. TDK development year.

Best Back 7:
Weiters Doc Jones Simmo Willo SPS Plow
(Marchy and Newman miss, Ben development year. Casboult an option).

Best Mid 7:
Crippa, Murph, Ed, Walsh, Setters, LOB, Cunners.
(Dow, Newnes, Stocker miss)

Best Forward 7:
Jack, CC (Covered by Kennedy initially), McKAy (covered by Casboult), Martin, Betts, MCG, Fish.
(Gibbo miss. Kennedy and Levi miss Although it will be rare Levi isn’t covering someone).

No draftee plays. Unless I’ve missed someone don’t really want to see anyone else playing.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

B Newman Jones Simpson
F Betts McKay McGovern

R Kreuzer Cripps Walsh

Cheers. That being said, round 1 based off actually being fit (or will be soon like Murph) kind of rubs out the likes of Charlie, Harry & Marchbank. Based off some of the other reports, that might mean Willo starts favouring for a round 1 appearance, depending on Samo's role (ie just HBF or splitting time between hbf & wing/mid). I think we can just about guarantee Levi is lining up in the forward line, but will we also see Kennedy or Jack there? That's the stuff I'm interested in. Who's looking like they might make the jump ahead of more senior/highly rated players due to form/injury and that kind of thing.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Best Back 7:

Best Mid 7:

Best Forward 7:
Jack, CC (Covered by Kennedy initially), McKAy (covered by Casboult), Martin, Betts, MCG, Fish.
(Gibbo miss. Kennedy and Levi miss Although it will be rare Levi isn’t covering someone).

No draftee plays. Unless I’ve missed someone don’t really want to see anyone else playing.

Fair effort, but we know there will be injuries, unless we do a Lions from last year

Still believe Newman and Newnes will start the season and it will be up to them to retain a position and or others passing them

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
I've been very impressed by Dale Amos. He was low profile, butt a terrific coaching acquisition.
Amos and Doc where the reason that we had a good defensive set up in 17, then we lost Doc to the knee and they switched Amos from Defensive line coach to midfield line coach, huge mistake, these 2 things combined with other injuries has set back our defensive development by 2 years, thank god they realised re Amos and switched him back in 19’ and now in 20 we get back the lynchpin of our defence and AA superstar, the one, the only, the supreme master of the airwaves, the man we all love and cherish THE DOC. Good luck forward lines of the competition you are about to be SCHOOLED.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Best Back 7:

Best Mid 7:

Best Forward 7:

Thanks, W1. Exactly what I was after!

Things that intrigue me: Willo ahead of Newman, Cuningham as part of the midfield group, and O'Brien staking his claim to be in the 22 as well (although there's been multiple reports of his progress of late). Those 3 really add to the running element of our game, hopefully all can cement a spot and deliver this year.

I like that the forward line dynamic/structure doesn't appear to change too much, even though 2 of our best talls are out.
CHF: McKay / Levi
FF: Curnow /Kennedy
3rd: McGovern / Jack

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair effort, but we know there will be injuries, unless we do a Lions from last year

Still believe Newman and Newnes will start the season and it will be up to them to retain a position and or others passing them
Azza, I think that's a current opinion on 22 based on the most recent track watching, not necessarily an expectation of what our round 1 side will be. Almost a bit of a power ranking 22...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back