Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Kreuzer Ruck. Pittonet backup. TDK development year.

Best Back 7:
Weiters Doc Jones Simmo Willo SPS Plow
(Marchy and Newman miss, Ben development year. Casboult an option).

Best Mid 7:
Crippa, Murph, Ed, Walsh, Setters, LOB, Cunners.
(Dow, Newnes, Stocker miss)

Best Forward 7:
Jack, CC (Covered by Kennedy initially), McKAy (covered by Casboult), Martin, Betts, MCG, Fish.
(Gibbo miss. Kennedy and Levi miss Although it will be rare Levi isn’t covering someone).

No draftee plays. Unless I’ve missed someone don’t really want to see anyone else playing.

Agree almost completely with the above.

The choice between Dow and Cunners will go down to the wire IMO.

Willo will have to be in full training to oust Newman and Marchbank (with Plow playing small on Dusty to free Doc up to be creative).

Agree Caz will play every week he's fit. His versatility will provide such invaluable back-up in the ruck, forward or back that any KPF or KPD that is slightly off his game will be dropped first.

Marchbank who we know can play looked like he was ready to resume and if fit would be in ahead of JSOS.

From my observations at training I will be very interested in seeing how Bsos and Macreadie go this year. There is room for some excitement.

Pretty decent effort but I would think Martin and Cuningham are well ahead of Gibbons for the half forward spots. The other contentious one would be O'Brien - Newnes, Stocker, Williamson, Dow, Jsos and Kennedy would all be fighting for his spot in the 22 (not necessarily his position) so it will be interesting to see how the pre-season unfolds.
This is a good thing Macca.

Li

Best Back 7:

Best Mid 7:

Best Forward 7:
Jack, CC (Covered by Kennedy initially), McKAy (covered by Casboult), Martin, Betts, MCG, Fish.
(Gibbo miss. Kennedy and Levi miss Although it will be rare Levi isn’t covering someone).

No draftee plays. Unless I’ve missed someone don’t really want to see anyone else playing.
like your approach here, there is always injuries so making a best 22 is kind of redundant, best 25/26 makes more sense to me... you know who else is having a great off season? Windows1 - you killing it dude!

If we are going to compare his form, with his salary, perhaps we include the draft picks we used

So our expectations should be commensurate with what we paid in draft picks, ignoring the $1mill per year (was it?) over the next 2 seasons?

I realise I am foolish to come in here but let's pretend that a New Year is a new palette.

So our expectations should be commensurate with what we paid in draft picks, ignoring the $1mill per year (was it?) over the next 2 seasons?

I realise I am foolish to come in here but let's pretend that a New Year is a new palette.

Not asking you to ignore a thing. His form should be compared to the tenure of his contract/his purchase value.

Not solely his 1st and or 2nd year payment

It is a medium term investment, that is how it should be assessed

I'm Aph it's what I do ;)

You've welcome Brackets.
You can probably add Martin into that group as well FBB, although he has been around for the same time as Cripps his development has been stunted being at Gold Coast.
He's doing his 7th preseason but your right the GCS development setups was a shambles, will definitely improve under a full Russell preseason...

Azza, I think that's a current opinion on 22 based on the most recent track watching, not necessarily an expectation of what our round 1 side will be. Almost a bit of a power ranking 22...

That's fair and I do rate paneboy's opinion, just don't tell him

This time of the year, most of the athletes are flying, pure footballers come into the mix in season proper

I'd be interested to hear from those who attended the last training session what their reading on an approx. best 22 might look like, based on what they saw on the track. Or even some kind of ranking who they thought might make the cut as the 7th smaller defender (alongside Doc, Weits, Plow, Jones & Simmo), what the current forward line might resemble sans Charlie & Harry (Mitch, Eddie, DC, Martin, Levi..... Jack? Kennedy? etc)

Mr_Plow windows1 Windhover BlueAbroad

Of the reasonably healthy players doing most of the training:

Plowman Jones Docherty
SPS Weitering Williamson
O'Brien Cripps Walsh
Martin McGovern Cuningham
Silvagni Casboult Betts

Kreuzer Murphy E. Curnow

Bench (from): Fisher Setterfield (these 2 ahead of others IMO) Dow Gibbons Simpson Newnes Kennedy

Hope i haven't missed anyone crucial.

Agree almost completely with the above.

The choice between Dow and Cunners will go down to the wire IMO.

Willo will have to be in full training to oust Newman and Marchbank (with Plow playing small on Dusty to free Doc up to be creative).

Agree Caz will play every week he's fit. His versatility will provide such invaluable back-up in the ruck, forward or back that any KPF or KPD that is slightly off his game will be dropped first.

Marchbank who we know can play looked like he was ready to resume and if fit would be in ahead of JSOS.

From my observations at training I will be very interested in seeing how Bsos and Macreadie go this year. There is room for some excitement.
Just my opinion but it’s not close between Dow and Cunners at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see Newnes and gibbons not best 22. Hard workers and great bottom 6 players

Just like I can't see Newman out of the team.

I see in Russels injury update that Harry will step up his work in the next few weeks, should give us a good idea where he is at when this happens as that is when he will or won’t feel any groin soreness, let’s hope for the latter as it should see him right for Rd1.

Good to hear Marchy is well and truly over his neck injury and should start to train fully in the next few weeks as well.
On a side note the Aussie cricket team is dominating and hasn’t lost a game in any format since the Ashes. Go Aussies Go Blues

I've been very impressed by Dale Amos. He was low profile, butt a terrific coaching acquisition.

That's why I mentioned him the 5 most influential people at Carlton in another thread. He is the reason that he has turned Jones into a Jones. He is the reason the backline is what it is week after week with the injury toll we had.

I'd almost have Levi ahead of Charlie or Harry at this point...neither have had a pre season and there is no back up ruckman in that spot

Go the mighty 501!

Best Back 7:

Best Mid 7:

Best Forward 7:

Who would have thought 2 years ago Jones was first pick to make the spine down back?

And Newman. All three. . Experience.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I agree on Gibbons and Notta New-man but still not sure on Newnes gonna be tough to get a game especially our wings and half backs, I think with the way OB4Kinobi is tracking he just about has one wing locked and loaded, will depend on whether Setters is playing inside or staying on the other wing as to whether Newnes can get on that wing, too many options for half back that I would have ahead of him and based on his form for Saints at Half forward I wouldn’t be playing him there, will be interesting to see which way they go come Rd1.

Who would have thought 2 years ago Jones was first pick to make the spine down back?
Yeah you have to describe it as phenomenal, from where he was heading as a forward until the trial down back he was basically gonesky...
If he continues to improve and tightens a few little areas in his game up which i believe he will he's a massive chance to make the AA side this year...
He's turns 29yrs in March and has only 125 afl games under his belt, he's the type of player who could play for another 4/5 years easily if the speed and athleticism are maintained...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back