Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see why you would have that view.

He's entering his 5th season, but has had a lot of injuries. Most notably all those ankle issues when he first started with us.

Ankle injuries can linger and restrict your power off the mark and endurance. He looks like he's now getting a chance to have a good run at it.

Keep in mind that it took Daisy a good 3-4 years to overcome his ankle injury. I know it was probably more serious, but that just shows you how troublesome such injuries can be.

Also looked like he was playing injured for a large chunk of his first season with us. I'm confident he'll come good.

Me too. Kennedy hasn’t shown us much in his time at Carlton but I think injuries have played a big part in that. He’s still got to come up with the goods and prove himself but I get the feeling that 2020 is the first time he’s going to have had a bonafide opportunity to do so. Fingers crossed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Plenty of love here. Plowman >>>>>> Marchbank. As long as Plowman jones and Weitering are fit. Marchy can play VFL. He has zero defensive 1 on 1 ability and needs to sort that out before he gets near our back 6. Does plenty of flash things, don’t get me wrong, but loses the majority of his 1 on 1s. Plowman is a superstar in comparison. Come at me.
So did Rance, and so does Lever.

He's an interceptor. He needs to be left alone to read the play and leap at the ball. Right now Jones has that role, but Jones is the other side of 30. We'll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of love here. Plowman >>>>>> Marchbank. As long as Plowman jones and Weitering are fit. Marchy can play VFL. He has zero defensive 1 on 1 ability and needs to sort that out before he gets near our back 6. Does plenty of flash things, don’t get me wrong, but loses the majority of his 1 on 1s. Plowman is a superstar in comparison. Come at me.

You're wrong.
Both Plowman and Marchbank are clearly in our best back 6.

You're wrong.
I agree with this, what will be interesting is if Williamson comes on as we hope. I can’t see a backline with all of Marchbank, Williamson and Plowman working when none can play true KP. Williamson and Marchbank are both not really known for their one on one defending. Another thing is Doc is the best of the lot and when he was playing he was always a guy we liked getting loose. This is why I have posted before that Williamson (if he comes on) should play wing.

For me the Marchbank’s biggest asset (getting off his man and intercepting/getting possession) is undone so much by his disposal. He is actually the last defender in our group I would want the ball in their hands and rebounding, yet that seems to be his role. It’s going to be really interesting to see how we try and put all these pieces together.

You're wrong.
I’ll repeat this again. We won’t be moving up the ladder anytime soon if we play Weitering Jones Plowman and Marchbank at the same time. Something has to give. And Marchbank is not as good as the other 3 at their respective strengths.

and if you think Marchbank will be playing that loose defender role, we have Docherty for that. Even Newman does it well.

I’ll repeat this again. We won’t be moving up the ladder anytime soon if we play Weitering Jones Plowman and Marchbank at the same time. Something has to give. And Marchbank is not as good as the other 3 at their respective strengths.
More because Jones has Marchbank's role sown up at the moment, but I agree.

He's not adequate as a mixed lockdown tall/intercept (Scarlett, Lake) in the way Weitering is, nor is he going to take Plowman's catchall defender slot. What he's naturally good at pushes him towards Jones' role, but Jones is far more damaging at present.

Which is perfectly fine. Jones is - as Kramer1 pointed out to me - 28, where Caleb is 23. This is sort of why depth is a good thing. I'd be surprised if Marchbank and Jones play many games together this season, unless an injury forces a shuffling of roles. Need to recognise, too, that Jones is (while still potent) less necessary with Doc back there, if he gets going in anything resembling his prior to injury form. The bloke played as almost another intercepting defender whilst still a small.

More because Jones has Marchbank's role sown up at the moment, but I agree.

He's not adequate as a mixed lockdown tall/intercept (Scarlett, Lake) in the way Weitering is, nor is he going to take Plowman's catchall defender slot. What he's naturally good at pushes him towards Jones' role, but Jones is far more damaging at present.

Which is perfectly fine. Jones is - as Kramer1 pointed out to me - 28, where Caleb is 23. This is sort of why depth is a good thing. I'd be surprised if Marchbank and Jones play many games together this season, unless an injury forces a shuffling of roles. Need to recognise, too, that Jones is (while still potent) less necessary with Doc back there, if he gets going in anything resembling his prior to injury form. The bloke played as almost another intercepting defender whilst still a small.

Jones is our Full Back. Marchbank is our 3rd tall. These are not the same positions/roles

You're wrong.

In time I think Plowman will get squeezed out and become depth.

Without injuries.
SPS, Doch & Williamson (speed, skill & rebound).
Jones, Weitering & Marchbank (strength, lockdown & interception).

This group has injury problems so Plowman will have a spot most weeks but at full strength i believe he gets squeezed out. No negative against Plowman just the way I see it when we are contending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back