Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like I need to open my mind a little on Jackie Newnes then. :thumbsu:
self reflective posts like this are rare as rocking-horse s**t around here - well done :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Anyone else think Gibbo sorta looks like Robbie Williams ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No!

6102ed9d28b06094c9886ddb34b3f1ed

Can’t see Newnes ahead of Setterfield, Lob maybe. If we were talking a year ago it would be a different story.

We’ve come too far (invested too much) to let good honest battlers take the reigns and games.

Too many of a Gibbons, Newnes or Langs and you run the risk of being a very mediocre football side.

There’s a spot for one or two no more than that.
Yes you are correct,we have had a looooong history of rehashing ...stale players
Lang still has good spells and looks good,however this year will be his last unless he can find new ground and that might be unlikely.
Setterfield has the Ball skills and would be more favoured than Newnes in our 22.
LOB might still be off the mark and we will see by the end of 2020.
Newnes may be a very hard worker and could actually still improve not a lot unlike Ed Curnow....who became an excellent player for us evenually.
Newnes hard running and ball attack will suit us,he can also run out 4 quarters of hard work.I would say they will give him a shot and its likley he will work providing and ok/good benchmark for LOB/FISH etc
If Newnes plays in his preferred position, which I believe is HB or wing (which is correct?) What are the positives and negatives he brings?
Newnes will be ok pick up
Pos- solid work ethic...runs all day,can tackle,defends ok...can attack...average distribution...ticks boxs with Ed Curow approach,solid worker who just might decide to improve as Ed did.....has a good injury history :thumbsu:
Neg- he could be average at disposal and decision making linking with Cripps/Walsh/Murphy/ED/Setterfield/Fisher/Samo .....perhaps he will gel at CFC and it may not be the case [chemistry]if so we have gained another Winger/running HBF ....or for the non fans excellent depth who will be there:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what days this week training is?
Our cricket club trains Tuesday and Thursday night. You are welcome to come along either or both nights.

I’m quite surprised that some posters have Jack Newnes close to best 22. We’ve seen plenty of him for St Kilda over the years to know there’s no more than a serviceable professional there, and one who St Kilda no longer had room for. I think he’ll be a good clubman at the Northern Blues and, barring an injury-ravaged first team, nothing more. Think Sam Kerridge, and with better players competing for a guernsey these days. Is this too harsh?

I have a good read on Newnes for various reasons and that’s possibly slightly harsh but not enormously so. Apparently a brilliant clubman who can contribute to the best 22 if he gets back to his best but don’t expect any more than that. I think he’ll play more than your post suggests though.

I’m quite surprised that some posters have Jack Newnes close to best 22. We’ve seen plenty of him for St Kilda over the years to know there’s no more than a serviceable professional there, and one who St Kilda no longer had room for. I think he’ll be a good clubman at the Northern Blues and, barring an injury-ravaged first team, nothing more. Think Sam Kerridge, and with better players competing for a guernsey these days. Is this too harsh?

There is room for serviceable professionals in every side; even the best sides have them. Every premiership side has them.

He's a much better footballer than Kerridge.

I’m a bit lost on numbers of new guys.
Here’s my drafted kids pre-season summary.

pls note I am quite aware this may come across as critical, but I mean it not to be. These guys are obviously just starting out.

we were obviously spoilt with Walsh last year and there are no such ready made players in our group this year.

philp. HE is bigger than I thought, and has a better frame to fill out. I’ve no concerns about hus physicality. He outmarked Walsh in a contest this week which impressed me. He occasionally shows his pace but not often. His kicking is usually ok. Decision. Making usually ok. Hands the same. None are perfect. He’s not ‘gifted’. Without wanting to seem to critical I would be careful hoping for too high an upside. But I really do see 200 games from him. He will work hard on all his gaps. 2 years in thr VFl IMO. Which is fine.

ramsay has shown some real talent. His hands are really clean. Kicking very solid. His running seems pretty good too. His body is very weak at this point. He is also a little ‘small’. Happy to have him but needs a lot of work.

Philips. Look I talked him up A lot and he has showed flashes of just knowing where the goals are. He’s as weak as it gets though and needs a lot of time in the gym.

honey I noticed for the first time and rather oddly I would say if anyone debuted this year it will be him. Has a genuine afl strength about his body. Has real power in his pace and in his kicking. I was worried about decision making but I haven’t seen that to be a problem in training yet. Very intersting type.

honey I noticed for the first time and rather oddly I would say if anyone debuted this year it will be him. Has a genuine afl strength about his body. Has real power in his pace and in his kicking. I was worried about decision making but I haven’t seen that to be a problem in training yet. Very intersting type.

Thanks for your efforts with these windows1. It is greatly appreciated!

I just wanted to ask about Honey. You’re not the first track watcher to be impressed. I therefore wonder if you have any thoughts as to why he went rookie draft rather than in the main one? After all, 18 clubs overlooked him. So what do you think may have scared them all off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back