Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Fair enough, and we'll obviously know more over the next 3 weeks.

I love Willo, and can definitely see him playing on the wing longer term. But if he's not playing there, he's unlikely to line up there against the Tigers.

He probably won't start and my guess is that Marchbank may not either, even though he competed in everything today.

Once you insert Newman, Newnes, Martin, Betts, Gibbons into our main team, some of those younger guys will simply have to wait.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
He probably won't start and my guess is that Marchbank may not either, even though he competed in everything today.

Once you insert Newman, Newnes, Martin, Betts, Gibbons into our main team, some of those younger guys will simply have to wait.

I'm just never picking Newman ahead of a fit Marchbank. Not sure I see Gibbons squeezing in either. He'd be keeping Jack and Fisher out.

Great to hear we are implementing the little tap ons, blocks, shepherds into our play, they have been very much non existent for far too long... along with tackling and pressuring make a huge difference... 1%'s...

Agreed.

There is so much more to a good football side than just run, mark, kick, handball...

Mar 25, 2010
South Yarra Vic 3141
AFL Club
Carlton
If I remember rightly, there was something stopping us from having Gibbons play in the JLT or practice matches? Something to do with insurance I think.
Not going into the training session as a whole because there was only one thing really worthy of note for this time of the year and that was the full ground match simulation. It was only for the one quarter but it seemed to go on for a good 40 minutes.

Not involved - McKay, CCurnow, Kemp, Martin, SPS (again), McGovern, Kreuzer, Gibbons, Plowman, Casboult and Goddard.
That makes up for one quarter of the list. This isn't good at this stage of the year.

In that short time, many good things showed up, even if briefly.
We know the game Teague is playing and even given the rain, the general ball handling was closer to that of a dry day. Quite impressive.
Almost all players had some say in proceedings and by that I mean, most showed up with good signs, even if ever so brief.

Cripps, Setterfield, Walsh and Muprhy were terrific.
I feel this quartet will make up for the bulk of centre square involvements come round 1, as they worked together so well. It just looks right and again there were so many little things that Cripps and Setterfield did that should have supporters very happy just at this stage.....the little tap-ons, the shepherding for team-mates....all the little but big things....and then there's Walsh and the old guys held himself very well throughout also.

Honey was impressive and worried Newman a few times. Honey kicked two goals, but even before this week, he's really surprised me and more so than any other draftee to date. He has the advantage also, of being a forward and should anything not go to plan, a call-up may just be in the offing. Big call I know, but he has some wonderful traits that to me at least, look capable of standing up in the big games. Good kick, good burst of speed and power, looks confident in himself and his ground positioning seems OK too. I don't know how good a mark he is though.....we'll see.

Polson played in the backline and did OK. Found the ball with ease and exited it quite nicely under pressure.
Macreadie and BSilvagni also looked good at times and then we had the run out of defence via Willaimson.

Only a small thing but it looked so good to see Docherty at full tilt.
At one stage he took possession of the ball with his arm outreached behind him, and just kept running until he brought into the position he kicked from....to find his man forward.

Dow really clocked things up at the half way point and again showed his burst, resulting in good kicks going forward.
Missed a goal he should have kicked, but so did others....no big deal given circumstances.

Could probably put a few more things down here and there but again, it's almost as all contributed something but thos first mentioned mids were the standouts.

Thank you very much for the great report Harker, very sharp and details as usual

I'm just never picking Newman ahead of a fit Marchbank.

Love me some Marchy intercept marking. But I figure Weiters, Doc and Jones have that well covered.

I feel Newman has much more attacking flair than Marchbank.

If everyone is fit Newman brings more unique value between the two......IMHO

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Love me some Marchy intercept marking. But I figure Weiters, Doc and Jones have that well covered.

I feel Newman has much more attacking flair than Marchbank.

If everyone is fit Newman brings more unique value between the two......IMHO

Or Marchbank's intercepting frees up Docherty.
Doc, Simmo and Samo provide plenty of attacking options. And Jones, Weitering and Plow can all be aggressive with the ball.

Or Marchbank's intercepting frees up Docherty.
Doc, Simmo and Samo provide plenty of attacking options. And Jones, Weitering and Plow can all be aggressive with the ball.

That's fair.

A lot of rebound that Newman provided last year would have been provided by Doc before he did his knee.

I kind of have forgotten about slotting Doc's impact back into the side. Man am I looking forward to an impressive reminder...

Carlton co-captain Sam Docherty will make his long-awaited return for the Blues in a practice match against Collingwood at Ikon Park on Thursday night after he missed two consecutive seasons due to two knee reconstructions.

Carlton coach David Teague confirmed the All-Australian defender would be in action in the scratch match after an outstanding pre-season that has seen him return an even better athlete than he was before his first knee injury in November 2017.

Thank you very much for the great report Harker, very sharp and details as usual

I lost interest and almost left as at this stage of the pre-season, I don't care to see minor drills any more.
There's nothing really to take out of them. It's all about who is doing what, where it really counts.....around the ground.

Pleasantly surprised just how much there was to take out of one quarter. Others will post soon enough I guess and we'll see what they thought.

Did Cuningham train?

Yes, but didn't really show up as much as others and we're starting to get used to that silly burst of speed manoeuvring out of traffic. :)

Newnes left the track early with a leg injury. Any one witness what may have happened??

Not exactly, but he did move himself to the bench for about five and got involved again.
Dow laid in the middle of a ground as though he was at the beach, getting massaged. :)
Honey may have dislocated his finger just before the siren went to end the match sim.

HaydossJ

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Not going into the training session as a whole because there was only one thing really worthy of note for this time of the year and that was the full ground match simulation. It was only for the one quarter but it seemed to go on for a good 40 minutes.

Not involved - McKay, CCurnow, Kemp, Martin, SPS (again), McGovern, Kreuzer, Gibbons, Plowman, Casboult and Goddard.
That makes up for one quarter of the list. This isn't good at this stage of the year.

In that short time, many good things showed up, even if briefly.
We know the game Teague is playing and even given the rain, the general ball handling was closer to that of a dry day. Quite impressive.
Almost all players had some say in proceedings and by that I mean, most showed up with good signs, even if ever so brief.

Cripps, Setterfield, Walsh and Muprhy were terrific.
I feel this quartet will make up for the bulk of centre square involvements come round 1, as they worked together so well. It just looks right and again there were so many little things that Cripps and Setterfield did that should have supporters very happy just at this stage.....the little tap-ons, the shepherding for team-mates....all the little but big things....and then there's Walsh and the old guys held himself very well throughout also.

Honey was impressive and worried Newman a few times. Honey kicked two goals, but even before this week, he's really surprised me and more so than any other draftee to date. He has the advantage also, of being a forward and should anything not go to plan, a call-up may just be in the offing. Big call I know, but he has some wonderful traits that to me at least, look capable of standing up in the big games. Good kick, good burst of speed and power, looks confident in himself and his ground positioning seems OK too. I don't know how good a mark he is though.....we'll see.

Polson played in the backline and did OK. Found the ball with ease and exited it quite nicely under pressure.
Macreadie and BSilvagni also looked good at times and then we had the run out of defence via Willaimson.

Only a small thing but it looked so good to see Docherty at full tilt.
At one stage he took possession of the ball with his arm outreached behind him, and just kept running until he brought into the position he kicked from....to find his man forward.

Dow really clocked things up at the half way point and again showed his burst, resulting in good kicks going forward.
Missed a goal he should have kicked, but so did others....no big deal given circumstances.

Could probably put a few more things down here and there but again, it's almost as all contributed something but thos first mentioned mids were the standouts.
Given the practice match next Thursday I’m not too concerned with this many resting. Anyone with lingering soreness wouldn’t have played today. Next Thursday will give us a much better indication of where we’re at with our injuries/fitness base.

Given the practice match next Thursday I’m not too concerned with this many resting. Anyone with lingering soreness wouldn’t have played today. Next Thursday will give us a much better indication of where we’re at with our injuries/fitness base.

Fair enough.

Thursday is it? Thought it was Friday. Must do a calendar check.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I lost interest and almost left as at this stage of the pre-season, I don't care to see minor drills any more.
There's nothing really to take out of them. It's all about who is doing what, where it really counts.....around the ground.

Pleasantly surprised just how much there was to take out of one quarter. Others will post soon enough I guess and we'll see what they thought.

How’s Cottrell going in the match sim, still a smokey?
Or is it mainly Honey knocking on the door from the youngsters?
Is Owies impressing up forward?

How’s Cottrell going in the match sim, still a smokey?
Or is it mainly Honey knocking on the door from the youngsters?
Is Owies impressing up forward?

Cottrell still looks good to me, but again, it was only one quarter of football.
On the sum of the parts I've seen, he's certainly shown up AFL quality traits.
Did get found out a bit today, but also did a couple f very good things...sort of like most.

Owies has done nothing upon my viewing, but remember, he's only just started getting engaged in full training.
It was a slow November/December for him.

Honey stood out to me from the first day I saw him and looked good again today....but he may have just had a good day/quarter.
I don't know who he reminds me of, but a name that comes to mind is Tom Bell and maybe because he arches his back when he runs, or endeavours to get past an opponent. I'll have to see more to put his name in lights, but so far, so good.
The thing about Honey is that at least he looks capable of kicking goals or imposing a bit of muscle upon opponents....something LeBois just didn't have.

Not looking for an argument at all.

Just trying to understand the statement of being too tall against the Tigers with TDK, but not McKay.

That's why I think you are picking that forward line as best available rather than a certain structure of talls, medium and small forwards, which is fine

You must have missed where I took Kennedy out of the side.

Charlie
Harry
TDK
Casboult
Kennedy
McGovern

I don’t want to see any more than 3 of the above in the same forward line.

To suggest the forward line I put forward lacks structure, is just silly.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
You must have missed where I took Kennedy out of the side.

Charlie
Harry
TDK
Casboult
Kennedy
McGovern

I don’t want to see any more than 3 of the above in the same forward line.

To suggest the forward line I put forward lacks structure, is just silly.

I could pretty easily see 4 of them (H, Levi, Gov, Kennedy) lining up in round 1

Back