Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally the best wingers have pace, skills and a massive tank. Cerra has one of those three and to me, his best attribute is calmness and time in contested ground balls which is not what traditional wings have to do to much of.

I dont think wing is a position Cerra would thrive in personally but happy to be proven wrong
I'm not going to judge Cerra on the wing until I've seen it. Took me a bit by surprise as well but I'm sure JLo has seen a lot more than any of us and wouldn't be suggesting it unless he was confident he had what it took.

I think we are biased to think pace is critically important for a winger because we had Langdon and Hill on the wings. No doubt it helps but if you look at a lot of the successful teams they rely more on endurance and effective disposals than just pace on the outside. Sidebottom doesn't have electric pace. Gaff doesn't. McCluggage doesn't. Robinson doesn't. Ricky Henderson same...

I think they way we use wingers will change a fair bit from recent seasons. Having different personnel may be the catalyst for that change but I also think the better teams don't play wingers the way we did so maybe it would have happened anyway under JLo?

I assume you’re talking about Tucker who I’m not to worried about.

Any sighting of Wilson? Or was it he you were referring to?
Sorry, yes tucker.
Wilson was doing the same drills as Pearce. Looked ok. But they have different injuries, my excitement was based on seeing what type moment they were letting Pearce do.

Sorry, yes tucker.
Wilson was doing the same drills as Pearce. Looked ok. But they have different injuries, my excitement was based on seeing what type moment they were letting Pearce do.
Thanks Halfbaked. Someone threw out some concerns prob started by Mr KH that Wilson had suffered a significant setback but seems he is slowly progressing along.

Yeh I’ve always thought of him as a good distributor, not necessarily someone who wins a lot of his own ball.
Got plenty of it as a junior. If memory serves, had probably the best numbers from his year of all the top picks when you include score involvements and such.

It's hard to see at Freo because he never plays in the middle. Hopefully about to change.

Last nights game was pretty non contact but did highlight the need for speed. Where are we in the lighting stakes..do we have any? Please don’t say Shilly is our quickest!!

Last nights game was pretty non contact but did highlight the need for speed. Where are we in the lighting stakes..do we have any? Please don’t say Shilly is our quickest!!

Frederick - lightning quick, probably not ready to immediately play round one but dont be surprised if he is in by round 6/7. Been training really well for a first year low pick and his kicking is an upgrade from Langdon.

Colyer - been training well; small chance he might not play first up but if we get caught out against Essendon don't be surprised if he comes in the next round. Personally though reckon he will be on the bench to start with.

Carter - Dont think he has been training that well, would play off half back but is very very fast a d Longmuir has been talking him up. Cpuld play early dependent on match ups.

Sturt - been training well but mainly playing as a deep hybrid forward. Speed is very good but I think they will play him as a forward.

McCarthy - lost weigh and moving quite quickly but more a half forward role than wing. Good chance he is starting 18, just purely on experience.

Henry - again more hff and he has only just started with the main group. Still he is a real talent and wouldn't surprise if he is in by round 10.

Last edited:

Nah. It was an exhibition game so the ball was moving a lot faster than regular season or even pre-season games. Speed is good if they also bring pressure and skills, no point having speed for the sake of speed. Richmond/Collingwood/GWS and West Coast aren't exactly the fasted teams. Anyway we have Colyer who ticks all the boxes...

It was quick but a lot of the dominant players aren't lightning quick. Other than Dangerfield and Hill were any of the midfielders who played for either team that quick? Accurate kicking (not that hard under minimal pressure) is a lot faster than running the ball which is why it seemed to be moving so fast imo.

Think speedsters coming out of defence are important (eg Hill and Wilson plus Pina/Carter/Thomas developing), as are long accurate kicks (eg Ryan and Young). Then in the forward line having small forwards that are a mix of agile, quick and creative (eg Walters, Henry, Sturt..). In between power runners who can mark, make good quick decisions and execute them seem the most important things. Put all that together with a competent tall spine and some guys who can keep the opposition in check around stoppages, win the ball and get it into space and you've got the recipe for a highly competitive team.

Frederick - lightning quick, probably not ready to immediately play round one but dont be surprised if he is in by round 6/7. Been training really well for a first year low pick and his kicking is an upgrade from Langdon.

Colyer - been training well; small chance he might not play first up but if we get caught out against Essendon don't be surprised if he comes in the next round. Personally though reckon he will be on the bench to start with.

Carter - Dont think he has been training that well, would play off half back but is very very fast a d Longmuir has been talking him up. Cpuld play early dependent on match ups.

Sturt - been training well but mainly playing as a deep hybrid forward. Speed is very good but I think they will play him as a forward.

McCarthy - lost weigh and moving quite quickly but more a half forward role than wing. Good chance he is starting 18, just purely on experience.

Henry - again more hff and he has only just started with the main group. Still he is a real talent and wouldn't surprise if he is in by round 10.

Cammy will be one of the great stories if he really puts his head down and turns things around. Best kick in our team. I reckon i might get a bit teary.

Yeah I kinda aagree but he did surprise once last year in running down Danger I think it was so maybe he is sneaky quick?
Yeah it was Dangerfield.

I've been spending my down time watching a few games from last year. Danger received the ball on a forward wing and bolted along the boundary line but Cerra was playing on him and matched him step for step. He was trying to get around Cerra with pace but couldn't do it, as Cerra was keeping him pinned along the boundary.

Danger was eventually forced to come to a full stop and fend off to get around him (which worked), but what impressed me was that Cerra had speed and accelleration to match... not often you see Dangerfield NOT burn someone off at full tilt. The unhappy look on his face at having to stop his run was particularly memorable.

Dunno if Cerra can maintain it over 40-50 meters or more, but on the burst he's deceptively quick.

Last edited:
Yeah it was Dangerfield.

I've been spending my down time watching a few games from last year. Danger received the ball on a forward wing and bolted along the boundary line but Cerra was playing on him and matched him step for step. He was trying to get around Cerra with pace but couldn't do it, as Cerra was keeping him pinned along the boundary.

Danger was eventually forced to come to a full stop and fend off to get around him (which worked), but what impressed me was that Cerra had speed and accelleration to match... not often you see Dangerfield NOT burn someone off at full tilt. The unhappy look on his face at having to stop his run was particularly memorable.

Dunno if Cerra can maintain it over 40-50 meters or more, but on the burst he's deceptively quick.
Dangerfield reminds me of Hill. Lightning quick off the first 10-20 m, but if you match it long stretches, he’s not that quick.
Stephen often uses that 20 metres to get then a disposal off. Dangerfield does it for long distances and often stuffs up his goalkicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield reminds me of Hill. Lightning quick off the first 10-20 m, but if you match it long stretches, he’s not that quick.
Stephen often uses that 20 metres to get then a disposal off. Dangerfield does it for long distances and often stuffs up his goalkicking.
Yeah being able to do repeat sprints throughout the game is very valuable.

Logue and Andy Brayshaw are very quick also, the latter surpisngly so.

Ethan Hughes is quick as well.

Also there was this written about our 2020 Academy draftee Joel Western in March 2019:
Western, a small forward and midfield prospect, sizzled in a time of 2.73sec in the 20m sprint, a mark that would have eclipsed former Gold Coast player Joel Wilkinson's all-time Combine record (2.75sec).”

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. Dangerfield is blistering whether it's over 20m or 100m. He easily won the grand final sprints.

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. Dangerfield is blistering whether it's over 20m or 100m. He easily won the grand final sprints.
Closest comparison I could think of in terms of Freo.
Hill uses his speed wisely tbh. Dangerfield disposal is suspect at time.

Maybe that’s why Hill has injury troubles lately? His gait/speed puts pressure on his body.

Thinking about the ins we have to come in and we are starting to get a pretty skilled best 22.

Elite kicks
- Hill
- Young
- Walters
- McCarthy

Very good
- Ryan
- Wilson
- Henry
- Tucker
- Cerra
- Sturt