Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

He competes, and is a more than useful 2nd ruck. His marking especially down the line and forward is really important for us.
Hopefully the marking down the line option won’t be as prominent next season & on Lobb rucking, he was one of only a few to break even with Grundy around the ground. Also despite losing the hit out count we were able to break even on clearances due to his strong contest.
He def could be a modern day 1st ruck, he just has to want to do it.

It sounded like Darcy was doing well in the earlier sessions and isn't it 35 degrees in Perth? Also Darcy is one of those people that has a resting face while exercising as if he is dying or in a world of hurt. Some people are born that way.
To be fair this is why I was going to leave it there and why I will after this post. Today Sandy and other coaches were telling him very clearly and loudly that he wasnt working hard enough and he needed to work much harder. It wasnt suttle and he's the only player being given penalty exercises when he's not working hard enough. Some here love making excuses for him while destroying others. From what I saw he is miles off the pace. Fine obviously if you think he's not.

I was thinking more that it’s hot AF here right through until the end of March so we might actually get a longer term benefit training in extreme heat for four/five months than a two week altitude camp.

It doesn't work like that unfortunately. The benefits develop pretty quickly but also disappear within a 2-4 weeks once the cold weather hits.

Before the main running drills Darcy was put through a gruelling session by Estaugh. He had to push the weight sled then hit the tyre with the sledge hammer 10 times, immediately run about 30 metres to a small square box marked out with cones (about 3m x 3m). In the box he had to shepherd/wrestle Sandi for 20 seconds at a time (x3) then without rest Johnno sent some high kicks their way and he had to try and out body Sandi in marking duels (x about 3). Anytime Sandi won it added an extra hit to the next lot of tyre hits. He repeated this for about 4 circuits non stop.
The very next exercise was the whole group (minus the draftees) doing a hard interval running drill, yes he struggled in that drill but he was entitled to. To Sandi's credit he ran the whole drill with Darcy.

Old mate sherrif - how does this fit in with your depiction of Darcy's performance at training?

He may have coaches telling him he's not working hard enough, but if you're seeing him flag in interval running drills after he's just flogged the piss out of a tractor tyre 50-odd times and been leant on by a 125-kg bloke, then we probably need to calibrate the condemnation a bit.

No doubt he needs to work harder - I want him to bully dudes not just cruise by on puppyfat and general joie de vivre - but I need some context here.

Old mate sherrif - how does this fit in with your depiction of Darcy's performance at training?

He may have coaches telling him he's not working hard enough, but if you're seeing him flag in interval running drills after he's just flogged the piss out of a tractor tyre 50-odd times and been leant on by a 125-kg bloke, then we probably need to calibrate the condemnation a bit.

No doubt he needs to work harder - I want him to bully dudes not just cruise by on puppyfat and general joie de vivre - but I need some context here.
Yep. My opinions different. It seemed really clear what was happening. Tough love and not sutlte that he wasnt meeting expectations.

Mid Season return for Sandi if we need him?
Hawks picked up Deledio for the exact same potential reason. I reckon many teams will do something similar over the years, coach the first half of the season and draft them if they're a shot at finals.

Honestly wouldn't be against it if we're tracking well and Sandi is still keen!

I would rather run out of rucks than take up extra list spots with subpar rucks that will have no greater impact on win/loss than playing another player as an undersized ruck. If Darcy isn't up to it, we play Lobb or we give Meek a crack. Meek looks amazing this pre-season. It's a pity he is still in rehab because I honestly think he'd be putting plenty of selection pressure on Darcy already. Cox looks so much better this pre-season also. Reckon Logue would put his hand up to pinch hit as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather run out of rucks than take up extra list spots with subpar rucks that will have no greater impact on win/loss than playing another player as an undersized ruck. If Darcy isn't up to it, we play Lobb or we give Meek a crack. Meek looks amazing this pre-season. It's a pity he is still in rehab because I honestly think he'd be putting plenty of selection pressure on Darcy already. Cox looks so much better this pre-season also. Reckon Logue would put his hand up to pinch hit as well.

If I recall he was putting selection pressure on with those WAFL games before he got injured.

If I recall he was putting selection pressure on with those WAFL games before he got injured.
Yeah his last game in Round 12. 36 hit outs, 2 goals, 6 tackles, 6 marks, 20 disposals. Those are some impressive numbers for an up and coming ruck. I rate the guy a lot - and he has transformed his body and I'd assume his fitness as well. Darcy is also ultra talented - fitness is his only weakness imo.

Important to remember that mis-season draft is available to us as well if we think we would benefit from another ruck.

Important to remember that mis-season draft is available to us as well if we think we would benefit from another ruck.
Even that though... finding a ruck outside of the AFL system who can slot in and make an impact? Zac Clarke dominated for Subiaco (arguably the strongest State league team in Australia) yet was a complete liability for Essendon.

I could see us looking at a KPD for depth though. Still think it was a tough call for our rookie spot between Pina and Chad Pearson. Probably unfortunate we didn't have an extra rookie spot available for both.

Definitely agree with the dangers of needing a mid-season ruck to come in and compete against the top players in the game and so really hoping that Meek takes another step forward this year and plays half a dozen games. Should always have a developing ruck on the list if its not Meek then it becomes a decent priority for the next draft.

Definitely agree with the dangers of needing a mid-season ruck to come in and compete against the top players in the game and so really hoping that Meek takes another step forward this year and plays half a dozen games. Should always have a developing ruck on the list if its not Meek then it becomes a decent priority for the next draft.

Both Meek and Darcy are quite young. Those two and Lobb should be able to lead our ruck division for most of the year. The problem I see, if our tall forwards are fit, only one of three gets an AFL game. And that’s Lobb every day of the week for me.

If Hogan / Taberner are injured. Darcy could come in and work in tandem forward. Like in the Geelong game. He was excellent bringing to ball to ground and allowing us to crumb.

I'm going to back Sherrif up on this one. I was watching very closely, and he was definitely being ridden hard, even to the point where they told him to take his hands of his hips (when he was knackered) as the body language was bad. Sandi was working with him all the way and encouraging him, but at times I thought Sean looked close to breaking point.

I am a big fan of Sean, and I am convinced he will become a very good ruck man, but I suspect he has not met the fitness levels they required for the guys returning from break. I think he looked leaner and fitter this time last year than he does now, not sure if his preparation has been interrupted?

Mid Season return for Sandi if we need him?
I was legit thinking about this and the big fella seems to be training a bit or at least hands on with Darcy and co at training. For 12 rounds he would be more than able slot in and help out if we faced a ruck injury crisis.

As far as back-up selection and an eye to the future at the mid season draft, as mentioned here with Pearce’s injury troubles Chad Pearson would be a number one target for mine. Worth seeing how OReilly tracks - like Cox he can swing forward and back.

There is nothing stopping us having two selections at the mid-season draft - we just need to move two players off the main list and onto the injury list.

For now we will be fine and hope for best case scenario with APearce. We have Hamling, Logue and Cox.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back