Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Well.....after the formal part of the Annual Members' Meeting I queried Belly re his thoughts on our wingmen and he said "Cam McCarthy maybe for one'. Make of that what you will.
After watching some of his 40 metre dart like kicks a last week , I was thinking a high 1/2 forward.
The lovely lady I got talking to thought they should try him on the wing.
She knew her footy and a massive sharks fan. I wonder if she had some inside info.

Or belly has lost his mind...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sonny says something, and Bell has lost his mind. Meanwhile, Longmuir is the coach. Sounds like preseason fluff.

I fully expect Hill and Aish to be our wingers, with Bewley a chance.

McCarthy on a wing could be a great move, if he can work hard and get involved. He has a great field kick and set shot.

If he can float forward and take a mark, and the opposition know he is a good set shot, they will have to disrupt their defense to make sure the area is covered, which might open up better position elsewhere inside fifty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sonny says something, and Bell has lost his mind. Meanwhile, Longmuir is the coach. Sounds like preseason fluff.

I fully expect Hill and Aish to be our wingers, with Bewley a chance.

Agreed. Maybe there’s been talk of it and if he’s training with the mids there’s something in the works. IMO he doesn’t have the overall speed we need outside. Sure he’s a solid kick in front of the sticks but that’s a different skill than evading someone (cant remember ever sayin ,”dang CamMac, way to make that guy miss and then outrun him.”) and hit a leading forward. I could see him as a HF that rotates to the wing to spell someone, but not primarily as a winger. Hilly, if fit, and Aish are way better options. But then again, who knows what JLo has in mind for an overall game plan and structure. In one interview, he did say that most of the training has been on skills so far but they will be working on installing a game plan and structure soon. This will give us a better idea of what the overall plan is. I’m excited to see what they do at the next several training sessions. I know literally zero about how to properly coach footy, but I really like the drills they’ve been running so far and how involved the coaches have been.

Quite right, and very difficult to match up on. Really gets to use his run and stamina, and marks everything.

Not a fan of his decision making tbh. His kicks have a bit too much airtime aswell.

Yes, great hands, runs all day and his leading patterns are good these days...but not sure if he’s the best person to be kicking i50.

I’d prefer hogan leading up to the wings. Taberner leading out of FF. With Lobb as the stationary resting ruck (depending on Darcy or Meek being best 22)

It would be awesome if Cam worked out on the wing. I can guarantee a 20 touch 1-2 goal game from Cam will be more impactful than one from Tabs. Tabs is better out the square as long as hes not spraying them his big ballooning kicks to the 50 never really did it for me.

It would be awesome if Cam worked out on the wing. I can guarantee a 20 touch 1-2 goal game from Cam will be more impactful than one from Tabs. Tabs is better out the square as long as hes not spraying them his big ballooning kicks to the 50 never really did it for me.
Yeah nah won't cop that. Recall the game against GWS this year. Taberner was huge.

McCarthy should stay a forward for mine, as s**t as he's apparently been, he scored 19 goals in 12 games this year. Push that to a full season and we are looking at 35ish and everyone is very happy.

If McCarthy is our best option for the wing or midfield then I am fine with it. But it looks to me like a pre-season strategy to improve some area of his work and create some flexibility. Both good things.

Agreed. Maybe there’s been talk of it and if he’s training with the mids there’s something in the works. IMO he doesn’t have the overall speed we need outside. Sure he’s a solid kick in front of the sticks but that’s a different skill than evading someone (cant remember ever sayin ,”dang CamMac, way to make that guy miss and then outrun him.”) and hit a leading forward. I could see him as a HF that rotates to the wing to spell someone, but not primarily as a winger. Hilly, if fit, and Aish are way better options. But then again, who knows what JLo has in mind for an overall game plan and structure. In one interview, he did say that most of the training has been on skills so far but they will be working on installing a game plan and structure soon. This will give us a better idea of what the overall plan is. I’m excited to see what they do at the next several training sessions. I know literally zero about how to properly coach footy, but I really like the drills they’ve been running so far and how involved the coaches have been.

He is deceptively quick, one of those has pace but doesn't look like it kinds. He is our best leading player for a reason!

Look at how much seperation he gets on his defender at 2.04 in this video when he starts at the same spot as his opponent

Last edited:
We're not going to play Hogan, Tabs, McCarthy plus Lobb/Darcy all in the forward 50. If McCarthy can make it on a wing the team looks better balanced without sending one of them back to Peel.
Maybe the forward line looks better balanced like that, but the wings look better balanced with Hill and Aish, or perhaps Bewley out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back