Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Cam -> wing advocates aren't guaranteeing his success there, more just suggesting its worth a try. That is certainly my outlook on it since I think he is too talented just to give up on.
Yep you've got to try things before writing new ideas off. Who'd have thought our old forward Mayne would make a decent winger?

Sent from my CPH1931 using Tapatalk

Why people write off players before they've even had a chance to play in a new position? Im sure that Cam can do fine on the wing, in a bunch of games hes notched around 32.5km/h as a tall forward which was fifth for Freo in terms of top speed when we have the likes of Hughes, BHill, Langdon, Colyer and Co. running about and has hit the 15km range for distance travelled; so you can say he has some decent wheels and a tank to run the wing.

You'll have a tall target on the wing who actually has athletic ability which is backed up by stats, can take a mark and most of all hit bloody targets as a link up player. Im sure if he gets into an open paddock he will cover a fair bit of ground ( the AFL published a mid season speed/distance article where BHill had hit 33.7km/h so speed isnt always as it seems).

We have had our fair share of wingers who are too fast and cant kick on the run (Langdon was a great example and BHill kicked alot of grubbers) so maybe its time that we actually listen to the coaches, go for a player who may lose a bit of speed but isn't by any means slow and offers an accurate kick and mark into the forward 50. He can also drift into the forward 50 as an attacking threat like BHill and Langdon used to off the wings.

Lets get rid of the conventional speedster winger and back in something different, the games changed and sometimes you need to think outside the box.

Last edited:
First time down to training this year.
Certainly a big crowd of players on track so some players were barely noticed. On the rehab side Giro was churning out laps, Valente still doing very little, Dixon back from an ankle, I heard, looked ok. Meek still with rehab but looked in no discomfort at all. Wilson walked a lap in bare feet and gave the impression of being a long way off.

Liam Henry only out there for a short period. Izzy Butters really struggled the longer the session went as his lack of conditioning showed out. But I guess this is the idea with the NGA too give kids an opportunity that haven’t had all the help that others get. It will be interesting to see how he develops with his first serious preseason.

I was very impressed with Michael Fredericks as he showed outstanding fitness and clean skills throughout a heavy session. He was the standout of the new recruits for me but Young and Serong also completed the session well.

The training was intense especially at the end when the players were playing the full oval but after each play had to complete a run alongside the boundary line before going again. Really are working on their skills under fatigue.

Can’t say many players stood out but it was a very hard session completed with enthusiasm by all. They will be fit and match fit by round one.

Missed what Walters did, but after looking like a nasty knee it ended up looking like he tweaked his right ankle (not left as reported).

Dillon O’Reilly is a big unit and does not look out of place on the training track, was impressed by his attack on the ball. Rory Lobb and Sonny Walters were the standouts before Sonny hurt his ankle.

Oh and as others have said, SHill is fully back to doing everything and doing it exceptionally well, he is back!!

First time down to training this year.
Certainly a big crowd of players on track so some players were barely noticed. On the rehab side Giro was churning out laps, Valente still doing very little, Dixon back from an ankle, I heard, looked ok. Meek still with rehab but looked in no discomfort at all. Wilson walked a lap in bare feet and gave the impression of being a long way off.

Liam Henry only out there for a short period. Izzy Butters really struggled the longer the session went as his lack of conditioning showed out. But I guess this is the idea with the NGA too give kids an opportunity that haven’t had all the help that others get. It will be interesting to see how he develops with his first serious preseason.

I was very impressed with Michael Fredericks as he showed outstanding fitness and clean skills throughout a heavy session. He was the standout of the new recruits for me but Young and Serong also completed the session well.

The training was intense especially at the end when the players were playing the full oval but after each play had to complete a run alongside the boundary line before going again. Really are working on their skills under fatigue.

Can’t say many players stood out but it was a very hard session completed with enthusiasm by all. They will be fit and match fit by round one.

Missed what Walters did, but after looking like a nasty knee it ended up looking like he tweaked his right ankle (not left as reported).

Dillon O’Reilly is a big unit and does not look out of place on the training track, was impressed by his attack on the ball. Rory Lobb and Sonny Walters were the standouts before Sonny hurt his ankle.

Oh and as others have said, SHill is fully back to doing everything and doing it exceptionally well, he is back!!
Hope your correct on Walters. Ankle tweek is a much better result.

Sonny latest

Fremantle’s Michael Walters faces a stint on the sidelines after sustaining a foot injury during a training session at Cockburn this morning.

The star midfielder-forward limped off the oval about an hour into the session, with the help of a member of the club’s medical staff, with a sprained right foot the diagnosis.

Walters will have his right foot in a moon boot as a precaution, with the injury to be further assessed over the next 24-48 hours.

His Dockers teammates didn’t appear to be too worried by the injury, with training only briefly coming to a halt.

The dreaded foot virus has become even more virulent. It used to be the case that only players taller than 190cm would become infected. But more recently with first Wilson, and now Walters succumbing, even the most vertically challenged could be at risk.
As there is currently no vaccine, nor proven treatment available, those suffering from this career threatening malady must perforce be kept isolated from the rest of the player group. ie kept in rehab for an indeterminate period T B A.

If the Trav point had any truth I wouldn't be mad at all. If he earns his spot by all means put him in the team, we should want him to improve and push for selection.
You've just made my goddamn day you beautiful human!
Dropped by your training for the first time in a couple of weeks
Was close enough to hear jlo speak to the squad when he pulled them up for a bit of re-emphasis on what they were trying to achieve from the exercise as it pertains to their season goals.was really impressed with the way he got his message across
I know it's been stated already but his is a defense first mantra with a real focus on turning the opposing team over and attacking from there. This is not new as it is what most sides bar the giants aim to do but I feel until he gets the guys playing his way expect a lot of safe options out of the backline . Corridor football is a way off for this group so boundary it will most likely be
Need the players to wear numbers on their training kit so outsiders like me could match them up especially the newbies
Shill is moving the best he has in preseason for the best part of three years such a classy mover hope he remains fit
The old boy Barra would still be in the best two or three kicks on the list does not waste a possession
The smaller of what I think were academy selections struggled with all facets of the game marking kicking and clean disposal-was wearing a hat and had tape on one shoulder
Either hale or jlo spent a moment with him and his kicking improved through out the session
The taller guy looked real good lovely kick and was condfident when given the job of kicking out from full back
Anyway look forward to seeing how you go next year. Was bullish on you playing finals this season but injuries to the talls cost you there
It is concerning the news about Pearce given his history
Good luck for 2020

Was close enough to hear jlo speak to the squad when he pulled them up for a bit of re-emphasis on what they were trying to achieve from the exercise as it pertains to their season goals.was really impressed with the way he got his message across
I know it's been stated already but his is a defense first mantra with a real focus on turning the opposing team over and attacking from there. This is not new as it is what most sides bar the giants aim to do but I feel until he gets the guys playing his way expect a lot of safe options out of the backline . Corridor football is a way off for this group so boundary it will most likely be
Need the players to wear numbers on their training kit so outsiders like me could match them up especially the newbies
Shill is moving the best he has in preseason for the best part of three years such a classy mover hope he remains fit
The old boy Barra would still be in the best two or three kicks on the list does not waste a possession
The smaller of what I think were academy selections struggled with all facets of the game marking kicking and clean disposal-was wearing a hat and had tape on one shoulder
Either hale or jlo spent a moment with him and his kicking improved through out the session
The taller guy looked real good lovely kick and was condfident when given the job of kicking out from full back
Anyway look forward to seeing how you go next year. Was bullish on you playing finals this season but injuries to the talls cost you there
Good luck for 2020
Appreciate your comments once again.

Young is the secret to corridor play I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck for 2020
Butters is the taller one - taking his time to find his feet. Quite a shy, nervous fella.

Thomas is the other who plays backline. Will be a real joy watching these two develop in a professional environment and what better people than Roger, MJ and Mzungu to mentor them.

Butters is the taller one - taking his time to find his feet. Quite a shy, nervous fella.

Thomas is the other who plays backline. Will be a real joy watching these two develop in a professional environment and what better people than Roger, MJ and Mzungu to mentor them.
Who was the guy with shoulder taped?

Who was the guy with shoulder taped?
I wasn’t there but I assume Butters - the taller one with the taped shoulder. I’ll let others confirm. But from some other reports over the past couple of sessions Butters has struggled a little.

Leno Thomas likely the other unless is was Carter who is also Cat-B Academy.

So direct quotes from Jlo that Cam returned to training in excellent shape and has all the tools to play as a winger.
I'm going to go with his version of things rather than the Cam is a fat slackarse and would be useless on a wing.
Yet people o here will still claim that he's fat and lazy. If he's fat then Jack Steven & Jeremy McGovern are morbidly obese. Guy puts in a heap of effort at training and is a good player. but people will never stop the whole "Lol McCarthy bad XD" circle jerk.

So direct quotes from Jlo that Cam returned to training in excellent shape and has all the tools to play as a winger.
I'm going to go with his version of things rather than the Cam is a fat slackarse and would be useless on a wing.
Fair enough. I'll still only believe that he is going to be playing as a winger when it happens. Pre-season is a good time to challenge players if they have been struggling for whatever reason. But when push comes to shove and a best 22 is being named is the time to see if that eventuates for me. It isn't about being "useless on a wing", it is "is he the best option" for that role. Longmuir won't have the answer to that yet.

But if he makes the 22, my expectation is for a more mobile role for McCarthy which sees him leading up to the wings and stretch defences.

I wasn’t there but I assume Butters - the taller one with the taped shoulder. I’ll let others confirm. But from some other reports over the past couple of sessions Butters has struggled a little.

Leno Thomas likely the other unless is was Carter who is also Cat-B Academy.

Butters. The high intensity of training after a solid warm up would catch out anyone who in not used to pre-season training.
They will be fit come March that is for sure.

Does anyone know when the players break for Xmas? I have a couple of weeks off coming up so keen to get down to at least one training, but have a bad feeling my break is exactly the same as the players

View attachment 791349
Who is this bloke on the left from the J-Lo Presser. Looked like he had a decently long night/morning. She can’t wait to get the presser over and done with.

Bloke: "Tell me we didn't do anything really stupid last night?"
Colleague: "Wrong girl mate"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back