Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough then...

I just saw a post saying 'this is concerning' being quoted and assumed that's what was being discussed already.
Was definitely bushfires they were talking about. He lives in rural Vic. Someone pages back pointed out his home country town wasn’t affected by bushfires.

Hazardous smoke here in Geelong and Melbourne. Wonder what clubs are doing to get around it in terms of preseason.
My club's just completely cancelled training for the week. Sounds like some of the AFL clubs are looking at something similar. Lots of gyms & offices are closed down because the smoke's getting in buildings through aircon systems.

Interesting listening to Griff on 6PR when asked the comparison of this preseason compared to Lyons; he said it’s been a lot more footy based (earlier) as compared to fitness based and that the boys seem to be enjoying it a lot more.

Happy culture, happy team, better footy for 2020?

He’s been training as a defender all preseason and has been told by JLO to work on cementing his spot as either a KPD or third tall.

Wants to repay the club for the faith they’ve shown in him for picking him with an early draft pick and through injury.

Young has been the most impressive of the first season players and his nickname is ‘trigger’ because of his kicking.

Leno Thomas and Izzy Butters surprising (in a good way).

Interesting listening to Griff on 6PR when asked the comparison of this preseason compared to Lyons; he said it’s been a lot more footy based (earlier) as compared to fitness based and that the boys seem to be enjoying it a lot more.

Purple Eyes likes this

He’s been training as a defender all preseason and has been told by JLO to work on cementing his spot as either a KPD or third tall.

Wants to repay the club for the faith they’ve shown in him for picking him with an early draft pick and through injury.

Young has been the most impressive of the first season players and his nickname is ‘trigger’ because of his kicking.

Leno Thomas and Izzy Butters surprising (in a good way).

Rather than ask for the link I’ll ask how do I find the link to the interview?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

).

Lyons game plan was very taxing on the players fitness. We always ran out of legs late in the season.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the new game plan.

Lyons game plan was very taxing on the players fitness. We always ran out of legs late in the season.

I’m hoping that by (from what I understand) doing less loading during the preseason will results in a smaller soft tissue injury list. No more hammies, calf or foot injuries.

If we can score more goals through set shots, let's say 10 goals a game are through set shots extras above our existing and transferring the scrappy goals from general play, that's going to amount to five clock time minutes - which if we are in a messy stoppage game could be 7:30 of running taken out of a game.

The point I'm getting at is if we aren't trying to score fast to catch up and take a mark inside fifty - go back and take your sweet time, then kick the goal.

If we can score more goals through set shots, let's say 10 goals a game are through set shots extras above our existing and transferring the scrappy goals from general play, that's going to amount to five clock time minutes - which if we are in a messy stoppage game could be 7:30 of running taken out of a game.

The point I'm getting at is if we aren't trying to score fast to catch up and take a mark inside fifty - go back and take your sweet time, then kick the goal.

Need a few more straight kicking forwards getting a go then. How is Sturt progressing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on.
Do less with better ball movement and get better value for effort.
The scrappy goal To structured play ratio has bugged me for the duration of Lyons time at Freo. As soon as the players fatigue the opposition get a real look in.
Scoreboard pressure through kicking accuracy, it’s the bug bear of the competition.
Implied pressure we put on ourselves when we go forward, we are inaccurate and the ball rebounds from our F50 was the major knock on Ross.
Look at the more recent derby, we dominated possession, contested possession and inside 50’s but got smashed on the scoreboard as the Eagles pulled us apart with ball retention, great skill execution of ball movement/ positioning and in-turn scoreboard pressure.
All from our poor all ground setup and ball use.
This is why, IF we can fast track our skills, utilising players who use the ball efficiently and deliver inside the forward half - we can rise significantly over the next two years.

Thanks mate.

So the difference between the most and least kilometers run in an entire season was only around 200kms, and we sit at 6th. Most teams are producing similar numbers to us.

Not seeing the amount of running we did as being an issue, and with the lower numbers tending to come from the better performed teams I suspect is likely to be a factor related to possession. But again, the distances covered seem marginally different.

The other thing worth noting is that our 2 players with the most Kms were chased and caught by other clubs during the trade period.

There's a few things there that stand out to me, and that is that the lower sides on the ladder covered more ground in general. This would seem logical, in that the lesser skilled sides will turn the ball over more often, and therefore be chasing (unproductive running) more than the skilled sides.

The other thing is that the premiers were 11th in total distance covered, but first in high speed distance and total sprints. That suggests that it's not how far you run, but how fast which makes all the difference. Just look at the impact that a player like Cyril Rioli had on the game, and wager his total distance covered was low but his sprints were high!

This is another reason I'm not sure the loss of Ed Langdon and Brad Hill will necessarily cause a huge problem. If we can use the ball better we will not need to do as much unproductive running as we have done, and while Brad is not too bad, Ed certainly turned the ball over way too much. Hopefully we can move into a paradigm of running smarter and faster, not further...

Thanks mate.

So the difference between the most and least kilometers run in an entire season was only around 200kms, and we sit at 6th. Most teams are producing similar numbers to us.

Not seeing the amount of running we did as being an issue, and with the lower numbers tending to come from the better performed teams I suspect is likely to be a factor related to possession. But again, the distances covered seem marginally different.

The other thing worth noting is that our 2 players with the most Kms were chased and caught by other clubs during the trade period.
Funny how two people can read the same information and glean different meanings from it - I guess this is why it's great having a discussion forum like BF.

The obvious thing that is not shown there is how much of the running is offensive and how much is defensive. I would take a wild guess (with nothing to back it up) that the better sides run more offensively which is why teams like Richmond and GWS seem to attack in waves.

Oh, we'll miss Brad and Daggaz. We'll miss Brad finding new ways to avoid contact and we'll miss Daggaz giving the on the full record a ******* good shake.

I noticed Brad came 7th in the Sainters 3K time trial and I noticed in the figures supplied above that a supposedly slow side in Geelong had dudes clocked at way higher speeds than our alleged speedsters.

Geelong are perceived to be slow because they move the ball slowly. This is all about possession and use.

We are doing repeat drills around getting the ball to our better users - especially Trigger Young - and that makes me happy. Turn the bloke into the best-guarded quarterback in history and he will repeatedly hit targets you didn't even realise were targets.

I wold like to see oppo teams terrified of the ball going anywhere near a halfbackline that consists of stenching interceptors who can either run off and deliver (Wilson and Hill), stand and deliver (Ryan) or just *en take to school (Young).

With a fit Moose and Logue capable of taking off on scintillating dashes of their own, confident Hammer is back to nullify, our back half could very well take us 2 or 3 spots up the ladder on its own.

Obviously we need more, but all successful Freo teams had a settled, skillful and balanced back 6 (or 7).

Funny how two people can read the same information and glean different meanings from it - I guess this is why it's great having a discussion forum like BF.

The obvious thing that is not shown there is how much of the running is offensive and how much is defensive. I would take a wild guess (with nothing to back it up) that the better sides run more offensively which is why teams like Richmond and GWS seem to attack in waves.
This dockers team like most in the AFL is going to live and die by the size of the injury list and how much work the the guys can get in before the season proper.
If as reported by one of the posters who was there for the first hit out post Xmas that 15 players did not participate in the 2 km TT that would not be numbers on the track you would want
Does any one have an actual list as to who trained given the official website has in the past been known to embellish the facts😁

I agree with your observations. My key comment was based on the idea that we demand unrealistically high fitness levels for the players. To me the statistics seem to indicate a fairly uniform level of fitness across the league.

I suspect that for a long club outside the 8 we did less running than average. Either way, still seems marginal.

I agree with your observations. My key comment was based on the idea that we demand unrealistically high fitness levels for the players. To me the statistics seem to indicate a fairly uniform level of fitness across the league.
I agree and have never subscribed to that theory - I think in 2015 we did an enormous amount of running preseason and suffered for it. Since then the running loads look pretty typical for an AFL club to me, not that I've watched too many other clubs train.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back