The boundary runners today

Serong
Giro
Crowden

Joined at times by
Ryan
Cox
Dixon

Sturt and Valente were training with the main group. Valente looks calm collected and smooth off left and right foot, great set of hands... looking forward to him playing more games.

Acres looks to have settled in nicely, Aish mmm still feeling his way.

Gee Meek is a specimen.. chiselled and huge!

Rehab group I think had about 10 people in it on other side of the ground.

Giro said he will be good to go in about 6 months, but suspect he is ahead of schedule given the laps he was churning out.

There was a very large group out today - 10 in the modified group and although it was hard to count, I think at least 35 in the main group. Pretty standard session, but the skills have certainly picked up since the last time I was down. This generally happens after the Christmas break as the cobwebs are gradually blown away, and the conditions today were amazing - cool, overcast and no wind at all.

I think we are in for a very exciting year this year. Not necessarily in terms of win / loss, but certainly in terms of seeing the future of the club continue to unfold. Some of the young kids are going to surprise, and at very worst Peel are going to be very strong this year, injury Gods permitting.

Watching the modified group, it was great to see so many dual-sided kicks. We know about Liam Henry, but Isaiah Butters is also very good of both feet, as is Caleb Serong. Jason Carter has a laser right foot, but not so good off the left. In the main group, Hayden Young is advertised, great off both feet and Leno Thomas also looks very good off both.

Great to see Stephen Hill cruising around like a Maserati - in the "connection" frills he is the guy who never missed a target and generally found the best available option. If he stays fit this year we will be a much better side going into the forward line - the difference between the kicking of Stephan and Brad (or Ed Langdon) is chalk and cheese.

Griffin Logue has a very long left boot, but not always accurate and when he tried kicking on the right he was pretty average to say the least. Still, if we can get him bursting out of the backline, his left long boot will be a weapon. Add that to the kicking of Hayden Young, Luke Ryan and Nathan Wilson and we could have some very fast transitions.

The connection exercise I mentioned involved a lot of chipping the ball around and retaining possession before getting it into the hands of a good kick streaming forward to find a good option. This is something that will take time to master and I can already hear the screams of "FORWARD" until that happens. The thing Lyon tried to implement last year was a very fast transition without the lateral passing in the backline. When it worked well it was great to watch, but unfortunately I think a lot of the time we just weren't skilled enough to retain possession ad got burnt on the transition. I think this is what JLo is working to eliminate, and hopefully as they get better the transitions will be faster.

There was a fair bit of goal kicking practice, and for me the standouts were Jesse Hogan, Hugh Dixon and Sam Sturt. Watching Sturt kicking at goal gives me the same sense of zen as watching Sonny does - if we can get the ball into his hands inside 50 I think he will have an immediate impact.

All in all I thought it was a good session and I am very excited to see what the young guys bring to the table. I am not one of the "shiny toy" brigade, so I am quite happy to see them developing at Peel until they are ready for AFL, either way it will be an exciting ride!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Valente is still working through issues with his core.
While some are rotten to the core Valente is just rotten in the core.
It’s expected that this will soon be corrected. Then we’ll have a really good player.

Valente is another player since draft I am looking forward to.

That last set of pics I posted a few posts up were from the gym session yesterday. The ones from today are up now as well. Someone might want to let the Freo media team that Luke Valente is not Brett Bewley though #awkward

Both have beards though. :) errr today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back