Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep Colyer deserves to be in the Rd 1 team based on today. Used his speed really well. Looked like Langdon was still out there. Then he hit a target i50 and I worked out it wasn't Ed :p
I like this a lot. You are spot on.
Having said that lets see what happens against other teams in the real world.

Thanks.

Cerra’s kicking at junior level was very good.

Sturt must’ve lead long and hard or worked up the ground a lot as the reports mentioned a lot of him delivering inside 50.
At times he moved to the 1/2 forward flank.
In the he first quarter he started on the flank and then switched with Walter, who started deep. In the second half, unless I missed something (which is more than possible) he played very deep at the centre bound downs and moved up the field during play.
Once the white team started to dominate both teams were in one half of the oval a lot.
No different than every Alf game.

Last edited:
How confident are the coaches in backing Brayshaw/Cerra/Blakely/Conca and perhaps Hill in the middle?
We need Fyfe forward. Tabs never gives confidence as ruck. He’s stuffed just playing CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colyer h8rs, don't watch that video

Also watching that I realised i've mistaken a few players for others watching live, including mistaking Colyer for Stephen Hill in that goal he kicked :flushed:

I was likeing all those posts about Colyer and thinking maybe it's not such a bad idea to have a bit of experience and basic grunt work for round 1.
Then I watched the highlights and far out I could have stood out in that intraclub - they were walking FFS

I was likeing all those posts about Colyer and thinking maybe it's not such a bad idea to have a bit of experience and basic grunt work for round 1.
Then I watched the highlights and far out I could have stood out in that intraclub - they were walking FFS
39 degrees and humid... I think that would drain most people very quickly.

39 degrees and humid... I think that would drain most people very quickly.
Agreed but as a guide to who plays round 1, let's just say without having been there and seen the whole thing I am deeply dubious

That team struggles round 1. It'll probably show a bit of promise and will probably demostrate what we're building towards but it's relying on blokes who haven't stepped up consistently at top level to, all of a sudden, fulfill their potential come round 1. It's comfortably a 0-3 start. I just don't get the optimism for the early rounds, it seems like the usual pre-season overrating of one's own players (admitedly North Melbourne do this far better than anyone else).

We were what, 6-5 half way through last season with wins against the Pies, Lions and Giants among those wins. With a new coach and another pre-season for Brayshaw, Logue, Cerra, Cox, Darcy, Hughes, etc surely some improvement is to be expected?

ChimpaWompa

New year, new role

Reece Conca was thanked by Nat Fyfe in his Brownlow Medal speech last year for his sacrificial midfield role.

But Justin Longmuir’s plan to get young guns Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw more involved means someone has to fall out and it looks like Conca has a new role.

He played as a lockdown small defender, guarding the dangerous Michael Walters out of the goal square.

Sean Darcy, Nat Fyfe, Darcy Tucker and Cerra began as the first-choice quartet in the centre-square.

Nat Fyfe of the Dockers celebrates after scoring a goal.
Nat Fyfe of the Dockers celebrates after scoring a goal. Credit: Will Russell/AFL Photos
A pair of aces

Fyfe and Walters were used by Ross Lyon in tandem in the middle last season, but Longmuir yesterday showed a willingness to split his trump cards.

One of the pair always operated out of the centre square and the other out of the goal square.

Fyfe was dominant as he repeatedly powered away from stoppages in the first half, before trading places with Walters and playing as a deep forward.

An unselfish Fyfe, sporting a brace on his reconstructed right shoulder, gave off several shots on goal while playing forward.

Show us your six pack

Fremantle unveiled their new-look defensive unit, with key defenders Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling and runner Nathan Wilson all set to miss the start of the season.

Griffin Logue and former forward Brennan Cox were the key defenders, surrounded by Luke Ryan, Stephen Hill, Ethan Hughes and Conca.

First-round draft pick Hayden Young began as part of the second defence before switching sides.

Fremantle Dockers Training: Griffin Logue.
Fremantle Dockers Training: Griffin Logue. Credit: Michael Wilson/The West Australian, by Michael Wilson
A wing and a prayer

Cam McCarthy has slimmed down to become a wing option, but spent much of the hit-out playing in the secondary forward line.

St Kilda recruit Blake Acres impressed both on a wing and inside the centre square, while James Aish, Brett Bewley and Michael Frederickalso got their chance on the wing.

One-time wingman Hill impressed in his new role as a running defender, offering plenty of drive and some pinpoint delivery inside 50.

The lighter side

After a long, hot summer on the track everyone deserves a laugh and there were a couple of moments that led to smiles all round.

Assistant coach David Hale, part of the Hawthorn outfit that sunk the Dockers in the 2013 decider, replaced injured Darcy in the ruck and made quite a fist of it.

The 35-year-old earned a big cheer when he took a mark about 35m from goal and another one when he slotted his set shot.

Highlight of the day went to forward Lachie Schultz, who held on to a one-handed screamer over the top of Bewley.

Schultz and Bewley were teammates at Williamstown before swapping life as tradies for their AFL dream on the same day. The moment prompted a quip from one teammate about a plumber and a carpenter.

ChimpaWompa

New year, new role

Reece Conca was thanked by Nat Fyfe in his Brownlow Medal speech last year for his sacrificial midfield role.

But Justin Longmuir’s plan to get young guns Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw more involved means someone has to fall out and it looks like Conca has a new role.

He played as a lockdown small defender, guarding the dangerous Michael Walters out of the goal square.

Sean Darcy, Nat Fyfe, Darcy Tucker and Cerra began as the first-choice quartet in the centre-square.

Nat Fyfe of the Dockers celebrates after scoring a goal.
Nat Fyfe of the Dockers celebrates after scoring a goal. Credit: Will Russell/AFL Photos
A pair of aces

Fyfe and Walters were used by Ross Lyon in tandem in the middle last season, but Longmuir yesterday showed a willingness to split his trump cards.

One of the pair always operated out of the centre square and the other out of the goal square.

Fyfe was dominant as he repeatedly powered away from stoppages in the first half, before trading places with Walters and playing as a deep forward.

An unselfish Fyfe, sporting a brace on his reconstructed right shoulder, gave off several shots on goal while playing forward.

Show us your six pack

Fremantle unveiled their new-look defensive unit, with key defenders Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling and runner Nathan Wilson all set to miss the start of the season.

Griffin Logue and former forward Brennan Cox were the key defenders, surrounded by Luke Ryan, Stephen Hill, Ethan Hughes and Conca.

First-round draft pick Hayden Young began as part of the second defence before switching sides.

Fremantle Dockers Training: Griffin Logue.
Fremantle Dockers Training: Griffin Logue. Credit: Michael Wilson/The West Australian, by Michael Wilson
A wing and a prayer

Cam McCarthy has slimmed down to become a wing option, but spent much of the hit-out playing in the secondary forward line.

St Kilda recruit Blake Acres impressed both on a wing and inside the centre square, while James Aish, Brett Bewley and Michael Frederickalso got their chance on the wing.

One-time wingman Hill impressed in his new role as a running defender, offering plenty of drive and some pinpoint delivery inside 50.

The lighter side

After a long, hot summer on the track everyone deserves a laugh and there were a couple of moments that led to smiles all round.

Assistant coach David Hale, part of the Hawthorn outfit that sunk the Dockers in the 2013 decider, replaced injured Darcy in the ruck and made quite a fist of it.

The 35-year-old earned a big cheer when he took a mark about 35m from goal and another one when he slotted his set shot.

Highlight of the day went to forward Lachie Schultz, who held on to a one-handed screamer over the top of Bewley.

Schultz and Bewley were teammates at Williamstown before swapping life as tradies for their AFL dream on the same day. The moment prompted a quip from one teammate about a plumber and a carpenter.
legend

Adbundance of wingers.
Aish- Bewley- Hill - Acres (although he should play inside mid) - Colyer impressing.
Really hope it’s Bewley, Aish and Hill. Quality kicking with elite endurance. Need the upgraded version of Langdon, better skills and hit targets 40+ out.

Throw in Young, Serong and Cerra/Brayshaw at times, competition is ripe at that position whereas Key position definitely not.
We made a mistake not Rookie-ing a State League ruck. Even just for competition/a body for the opposition. Relying on Tabs and Lobb, if Darcy is unfit, will just push them to their limit tbh.

We were what, 6-5 half way through last season with wins against the Pies, Lions and Giants among those wins. With a new coach and another pre-season for Brayshaw, Logue, Cerra, Cox, Darcy, Hughes, etc surely some improvement is to be expected?

Missing pretty similar players to the back half of last season, No Hill or Langdon speed and gut running on the outside to mitigate damage on turnovers, A new coach with a new game plan that half the list have barely had a chance to learn yet I think is the far more honest assessment of where we're at. Your view is VERY rose coloured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back