Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Missing pretty similar players to the back half of last season, No Hill or Langdon speed and gut running on the outside to mitigate damage on turnovers, A new coach with a new game plan that half the list have barely had a chance to learn yet I think is the far more honest assessment of where we're at. Your view is VERY rose coloured.

No B Hill is an issue but not Langdon - he did a lot of good things but also cost us badly with his turnovers and missed shots. We do have an S Hill around who will be handy with his neat disposal in the back half.

The last time we had a new coach we made finals after not making it the year before he was appointed. There are plenty of examples of new coaches producing instant results.

While there’s no guarantee that history will repeat, your view is bordering on pessimistic.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
No B Hill is an issue but not Langdon - he did a lot of good things but also cost us badly with his turnovers and missed shots. We do have an S Hill around who will be handy with his neat disposal in the back half.

The last time we had a new coach we made finals after not making it the year before he was appointed. There are plenty of examples of new coaches producing instant results.

While there’s no guarantee that history will repeat, your view is bordering on pessimistic.

TBF Ross Lyon was an experienced coach with proven results at St Kilda.

But plenty of new coaches outside of Fremantle have also had instant success.

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle

Ross just missed finals in his first year as coach of St Kilda and made a prelim in his second. He was not an experienced head coach then but came highly regarded after making a strong impact as an assistant. I see similar parallels for Longmuir.

I personally think Longmuir was one of the main reasons for Collingwood amazing turnaround in 2018 - before then Bucks had presided over a long run of finishing lower than the year before.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ross just missed finals in his first year as coach of St Kilda and made a prelim in his second. He was not an experienced head coach then but came highly regarded after making a strong impact as an assistant. I see similar parallels for Longmuir.

I personally think Longmuir was one of the main reasons for Collingwood amazing turnaround in 2018 - before then Bucks had presided over a long run of finishing lower than the year before.

Wonder if a first time coach has taken a team from outside the top 8 to finals in his first season. I'm sure it has happened but it would surely be rare.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Missing pretty similar players to the back half of last season, No Hill or Langdon speed and gut running on the outside to mitigate damage on turnovers, A new coach with a new game plan that half the list have barely had a chance to learn yet I think is the far more honest assessment of where we're at. Your view is VERY rose coloured.
Another preseason, especially for Darcy, Bewley, Cox, Logue, Cerra and Brayshaw, the availability of Valente and Sturt now a year older; that is huge upside.

Plus I think Aish/Acres is close to a draw for Langdon/BHill, with the availability of SHill a massive bonus.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Yeah, but Longmuir is the guy who replaced an experienced coach!

as a rookie coach I am pretty confident in Longmuir and his background. I think the players will adjust quickly, especially with Longmuir emphasising defence, which is already in the repertoire of many of the players.

We are in the final stages of a rebuild, so injuries become opportunity. Available players who have recovered from injury in the second half of the season would be fantastic, and a perfect platform for 2021, which is when we should be getting serious.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Simpson got the Eagles to 9th in 2014 - GF the next year.
I think we’re about a year behind that first year of Simpson. From memory they came home with a set sail and had a chance to sneak into the finals but drew with GCS away in the final round.

I think regardless of personnel available we will struggle in the early rounds. Surprise in a few games. But I’m really hoping for a better second half of the year as compared to our past 3 years. Get those with injuries up and running and get games into youngsters incl. early games for Young and Serong.

Colyer looked quite good in the scratchy. Some players take a little extra time to gel with a new club and perhaps Longmuir’s game plan suits him better. He started 2019 reasonably well but then fell off a cliff.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Where is Tucker at? Lots of people saying he is playing fairly well, and in the limited vision of the game he looked pretty good as well. Again if he can average low 20s, with his disposal he can make a big difference to the "really poor" midfield that people keep saying we have.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Training notes

Attachments

• 78273775-A11A-471C-9B21-88601057083D.png
    78273775-A11A-471C-9B21-88601057083D.png
    2 MB · Views: 404

(Log in to remove this ad.)

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

agree. 18-25 Aish Disposals @ 80% efficiency > 25-30 langdon disposals at 60%

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
agree. 18-25 Aish Disposals @ 80% efficiency > 25-30 langdon disposals at 60%
Is that why an out of contract Langdon got traded more for a contracted Aish? I mean it's not like Langdon has 2 top B&F finishes.....oh wait.

I think Aish will be good for us, happy with his addition to the club. Only nuffies could miss what Langdon bought to our team

The constant bashing of Langdon is cringe. But if it makes you feel cool joining the others on here, proceed.

Saying he was a good player, evidenced by his back-back top 10 B&F finishes.

Insert any B grade player, say if they could kick better they'd be worth more. Riveting

Finishing in the top half of a team that didn't play finals. Maybe there's a correlation.

Inveigh Slang

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let's just hope Aishb and Acres can improve as they like Langdon are still young.

I did like Langdon but yes his kicking did cost Freo a little too often

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Let's just hope Aishb and Acres can improve as they like Langdon are still young.

I did like Langdon but yes his kicking did cost Freo a little too often
I sort of assume that none of those players will improve dramatically. But I think we can get excellent value out of both Aish and Acres. Disposal, and size in the midfield have been things we are weak in and they bring that. Because of his size Acres can help release Fyfe which is massive.

And I think we can cover for Langdon pretty well with SHill looking like he is not required for his natural position on the wing as evidence that Langdon can be covered.

Back