Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My first training session of the new season.

Can confirm Dixon on crutches in a moon boot.

So few talls on the track. No Pearce, Hogan (trained ok on Monday apparently), Tabs (wed a rostered non track day for him apparently, saw him on the bike), Meek or Cox.

Carter doing rehab with a calf niggle. Sturt running laps - plenty of muscle definition, still very, very slim thru the core. Blakely was running laps and is unrecognisable. Slimmed down, no beard, hair under a cap.

A lot of players looked slimmed down to me - Cam, Tucker, Conca.

There were some different training drills, a lot of focus on the 45 kicks. 2 things stood out to me. Firstly, a lot of the drills involved a leading forward. For example, playing keep it off in a tight space, when the whistle blows some one peels off, the forward leads, and the player with the ball honours the lead. In this drill there were 3 groups and the forwards were Sandi, Hale and Mz. In the past drills going inside 50 have always been slingshot, or going to a contest and getting the ball to ground.

The second thing different was when there was circle work it was done to make the ground large, and all players were taking a bounce or two. Whether you could look on this that run and carry will be more important for us, or that the philosophy is that all skills should be worked, who can say.

I agree with comment above that Tucker and Crowden were looking good. TTHD for mine was Lobb. Plays like a small man, marks like a tall man, puts the ball on the leading forwards chest. What more can you ask for.

ps Johnno out on the track in coaches blue tshirt.

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm interested to hear if our running at training has switched from primarily long distance to short repeat distances. I remember reading an article this year about how many clubs have made the shift in running training and fremantle was one of the teams that hadn't.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm interested to hear if our running at training has switched from primarily long distance to short repeat distances. I remember reading an article this year about how many clubs have made the shift in running training and fremantle was one of the teams that hadn't.
I don’t know the answer to that.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Not sure about us but JL was there at Collingwood made the change and resultantly had an enormous injury list as a result, gradual change over seasons is better, especially when you aren’t a top team

mr.11

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
F.C Barcelona ,Redwings
JLo will bring what he's learnt at Collingwood and West Coast to us....We will be fit don't you worry.

FreoBraddles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is Tom North training or in rehab? Someone said he pulled up lame from the TT last Wed and had ice immediately applied to his leg.

He mentioned to a few watchers on Monday that he did a minor hammy sprain/tear in the TT. Trainer with rehab on Monday but was running as part of that so can’t be too bad.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
O'Reilly was doing a fair bit of repeat sprint work today. I didn't notice others but they may have been - it is really hard to see everything going on. Often they are split into many groups, and a few getting individual attention. There are so many coaches, trainers and helpers out there.

At one point Fyfe was working with three trainers by himself - I'm assuming two of them were S&C peeps (ie Weber). There really is a more personalised (customised to the individual) feel to training this year - and it was even more prominent today (skills day). The groups also seemed far more mixed today - not necessarily based on position. For instance, McCarthy was involved in a stoppage drill with a bunch of mids, and Hamling was in a group with Darcy and Lobb for quite a while. It's like the players are each on their own customised circuit moving between the various 'development' drills.

Things have come a long way from when Ross and Sumich sat on the old scoreboard at Freo Oval all preseason while two or three assistants ran the whole show.

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
My last session of the year. Busy time of year at the salt mine.
There no point repeating what has been
Written. Well written I might add.
While not perfect I thought the skills were quite good.
Also happily surprised by coaching input.
At one stage I counted 14 coaches with the main group. Discounting lap runners, inured
and rehab, this is about 1coach for every 2 players.
Thought Cam was good.
20191127_110408.jpg
20191127_105206.jpg
20191127_101032.jpg
20191127_100846.jpg
20191127_095654_002.jpg

Attachments

• 20191127_095654_001.jpg
    20191127_095654_001.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 143
Back