Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Id love to see Cam on a wing. He will work hard to space and if he gets on the end of a Young or Ryan kick out of defence and delivers it well by foot to a leading forward the opposition will struggle to touch the ball, let alone defend.

Hill and Langdon were great wingmen for the Ross Lyon game plan but clearly the ball moves quicker in the air than it does being carried forward. Dardy can mark on the lead and bullet pass it to the forward line. He might be a s**t key forward put he can seriously play and I’m certain he is going to prove a lot of people on here wrong this season.

Id love to see Cam on a wing. He will work hard to space and if he gets on the end of a Young or Ryan kick out of defence and delivers it well by foot to a leading forward the opposition will struggle to touch the ball, let alone defend.

Hill and Langdon were great wingmen for the Ross Lyon game plan but clearly the ball moves quicker in the air than it does being carried forward. Dardy can mark on the lead and bullet pass it to the forward line. He might be a s**t key forward put he can seriously play and I’m certain he is going to prove a lot of people on here wrong this season.
Yeah all probably true but when he gets manned up by someone like Kamdyn Macintosh and shut down, that's when I want to see him push through.

I think it will all depend on which of our forwards are available.If we have Tabs,Hogan, and Lobb, then McCarthy would be looked at as a mid or winger.
He has never been a number one or two forward,even at the Giants.He was always number three forward with Patton and Cameron ahead of him.

Happy to try him on a wing simply for the divine F50s we'd get out of him.

The thing I've always liked about Cam's forward game is he always finds space. Yes that didn't happen much when we playing him as a KPF, but just like Mayney before him, Cam isn't really a KPF - he needs to roam, and when he does that, he can be genuinely dangerous.

That 2019 highlights video is a good example... soooo many times he's either got space on his defender, or he's on his lonesome without a man entirely. Given how well he kicks, and how tightly drilled defenses are nowadays, any guy who gets free that often is really worth keeping in the forward half.

How many of the McCarthy to wing advocates also bang on about players like Cerra or Blakely being played out of position? Amusing.

Is it though? I think people are just willing to see how things play out. It doesn't seem a great idea to me, but maybe Longmuir wants to challenge McCarthy. Besides, the players haven't even started game plan drills yet.

I’m not sure the two situations are relevant to one another. Cerra and Blakely have demonstrated a proven inability to defend when played as defenders. Not sure what it has to do with McCarthy playing on a wing.
Not many midfielders come into a best 22 as midfielders. They are commonly developed as flankers in the back or forward lines, with limited minutes in the middle. They aren't being played out of position, they are being developed, Blakely specifically due to his lack of defensive ability as a midfielder. Unless he learns that, he becomes a player who will fail to lock himself into the best 22. All but the very best midfielders rotate forward or back, and Blakely hasn't elevated himself into that category. Good idea for him to learn how to play in another position if he isn't going to be a full-time best 22 mid.

McCarthy is coming from another direction, but it is similar. Having failed to lock himself into the best 22 there is discussion about where he might fit. Yet here we are, a club screaming out for a mid-sized forward. If he was more convincing in that role, no-one even begins to discuss him as an option for the wing ahead of Hill or Aish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not many midfielders come into a best 22 as midfielders. They are commonly developed as flankers in the back or forward lines, with limited minutes in the middle. They aren't being played out of position, they are being developed, Blakely specifically due to his lack of defensive ability as a midfielder. Unless he learns that, he becomes a player who will fail to lock himself into the best 22. All but the very best midfielders rotate forward or back, and Blakely hasn't elevated himself into that category. Good idea for him to learn how to play in another position if he isn't going to be a full-time best 22 mid.

McCarthy is coming from another direction, but it is similar. Having failed to lock himself into the best 22 there is discussion about where he might fit. Yet here we are, a club screaming out for a mid-sized forward. If he was more convincing in that role, no-one even begins to discuss him as an option for the wing ahead of Hill or Aish.
I take your point about Blakely and personally I’m not convinced he is even best 22 based on recent evidence.

The reason McCarthy is being talked about as a winger on this thread is because he has been training with the mids and this is the training thread. I’d personally never even considered him in the role until today when it was covered in a Perth Now article that this is where Walters expects him to play this season and is quoted as saying as much.
As for crying out for a medium forward, I’m more inclined to think we’ve been crying out for a game plan that actually gets a high roaming medium forward involved in the play. Bombing it over his head to a bunch of talls with Matera and Switta at their feet wouldn’t have helped his confidence at all. Get him involved with 15-20 touches a game and some confidence on the wing and watch him flourish.

How many of the McCarthy to wing advocates also bang on about players like Cerra or Blakely being played out of position? Amusing.
His highlights at GWS feature enough kicks travelling at 4ft above the ground to a leading chest to suggest he can play up the ground

That 2019 highlights video is a good example... soooo many times he's either got space on his defender, or he's on his lonesome without a man entirely.
Feel like I've been bashing Langdon a fair bit lately but not surprising none of those McCarthy i50 marking highlights involved kicks from Ed.

If we're looking at wingers who can actually hit a target inside 50 then McCarthy seems a logical player to at least consider - one of our best kicks.

The reason McCarthy is being talked about as a winger on this thread is because he has been training with the mids and this is the training thread.
Well there is that, and I welcome his increased mobility, and the challenge put in front of him. But it was barely a few weeks ago when it seemed certain Acres would play wing. Again, if McCarthy is a better option on the wing than Hill or Acres that will be remarkable. It is early in the pre-season and I expect fluidity about what roles players will be trialed in.

I hope that maybe this is an indication that Longmuire is looking at the whole list with fresh eyes and to some extent starting again. I don't expect to suddenly see Luke Ryan in a forward pocket or Mundy as KPD but that he can say this is the plan I have for how Fremantle is going to play football, with your skills where can you contribute best to that?

He is deceptively quick, one of those has pace but doesn't look like it kinds. He is our best leading player for a reason!

Look at how much seperation he gets on his defender at 2.04 in this video when he starts at the same spot as his opponent

I agree but being quick in straight line speed is different than being elusive and making your guy miss, which Bhill had in spades. I really think it’ll come down to the game style JLo implements. Quick ball movement and transition from defense to offense (maybe more through the corridor?) wouldn’t take advantage of Cam’s strengths if he were on the wing. He’s such a great kick in front of goal and can hit it from 50, id keep him as a high HF.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You need endurance or speed or both to be on the wing. Do we really want Dardy lining up against on BHill, Gaff, Scully, McLuggage Phillips etc etc 😖😖

We are slow enough through the middle. Dardy won't be able to keep up and and it's a poor move if we're seriously thinking it.

Dardy as a third tall forward with better ball movement gets me more excited. That said he still needs to offer more defensively if he wants that role.

If Langdon had Cam’s kicking accuracy/effeciency, he’d be an A grader. Easily. Cam has a very underrated kick for a forward. Can play the Tom Lynch from Adelaide role. Lead up forward with smart medium/long kicking that runs all day. Tabs can do his lead up thing closer to the forward because he really needs to limits his endurance running given his body breaks down from it.
McCarthy gets involved more; the team benefits. He did that towards the end of the season.

You need endurance or speed or both to be on the wing. Do we really want Dardy lining up against on BHill, Gaff, Scully, McLuggage Phillips etc etc 😖😖

We are slow enough through the middle. Dardy won't be able to keep up and and it's a poor move if we're seriously thinking it.

Dardy as a third tall forward with better ball movement gets me more excited. That said he still needs to offer more defensively if he wants that role.

It’s one not both. Gaff and Mccluagge ain’t close to the fastest wingers but are smarter types. Darcy Tucker for example isn’t that quick but I think he could play Gaff’s role if he could get the ball more and use the wings

If Cam can be as effective by foot after running hard, I think it's a massive win
if He gets the ball on a wing he does have a good skill set to hit up a target. It’s just if the ball gets turned over his second effort on a wing to put pressure on the opposition will be insufficient. This is what McCarthy needs to work on the most. His tank and second efforts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back