Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

You need endurance or speed or both to be on the wing. Do we really want Dardy lining up against on BHill, Gaff, Scully, McLuggage Phillips etc etc 😖😖

We are slow enough through the middle. Dardy won't be able to keep up and and it's a poor move if we're seriously thinking it.

Dardy as a third tall forward with better ball movement gets me more excited. That said he still needs to offer more defensively if he wants that role.

I agree and I think he is getting fitter to play high half forward which in todays game is virtually a mid fielder. He might rotate to wing on occasions. Whatever role it is if he doesn't get fitter he will be gone end of next year.

Cam mccarthy has no problem notching up 15km per game and that was before the weight loss, I reckon he has the tank for the wing position.

Cam is never going to have the discipline required to execute, and instinctive understanding of, the defensive running and space filling requirements of an AFL winger.

Train with the midfielders to help improve his high half forward craft? Even rotate onto a wing at bounces? By all means.

Full time wing is not happening.

Not everything is so black and white.
As I posted before, if being able to hit a target by foot is valued, Cam is in mix to play.
If he is playing why wouldn't you try to add him to the mid field rotation.
So instead of just rotating Mundy, Nat and Walters through the forward line you have the option of playing Cam on the wing when needed.
Edit: Paracleet posted a minute before me.

if He gets the ball on a wing he does have a good skill set to hit up a target. It’s just if the ball gets turned over his second effort on a wing to put pressure on the opposition will be insufficient. This is what McCarthy needs to work on the most. His tank and second efforts

Agree with this. One of the great things about Hill and Langdon were their ability to hunt the ball in space when they didn't have it, and chase down and tackle opposition players

I don't see McCarthy being able to bring this. What he will bring instead is good vision to spot up a player forward and nail a longer link up kick. We'll see soon enough which skillset is more important to the team

The irony of McCarthy moving to the wing when we finally have some boys who can actually hit the moving target he provided up forward.
I don't dislike it really, and the whole dropping 5 kegs and getting fitter would benefit him anyway (and was what I'd thought he needed to do)...

But I'd actually like a forward line of Hogan deep with Taberner and McCarthy running hard for a few games with Young, Henry and Fredericks actually hitting targets...just to see something different

McCarthy on a wing sounds good in theory because of his foot skills but I don't think he has the want to gut run enough or work back when he needs to, stuff that made B. Hill a really good winger for us
Although the reason BHill and Langdon needed to work so hard defensively is because we couldn't hit a target across half forward or inside 50 to save ourselves. There is a reason teams that are more effective by foot don't have to run as much.

I think we are all jumping to conclusions a bit with all the talk of Cam to wing. We played Brad and Ed as (almost) permanent wingers. I'm doubtful that will be what JLo is thinking next year and instead we'll have a bunch of guys rotating from wing (or mid) to half forward. We need to get a lot more efficient inside 50, and having good kicks in that area of the ground will help with that -> McCarthy, Walters, Tucker, Mundy, Cerra, Bewley. Plus you also want half forwards to be able to hit the scoreboard. But that attacking side obviously needs to be balanced with keeping team defence solid so I think it is an idea they'll explore via match sims from this week through pre-season.

Cam has a very underrated kick for a forward. Can play the Tom Lynch from Adelaide role. Lead up forward with smart medium/long kicking that runs all day. Tabs can do his lead up thing closer to the forward because he really needs to limits his endurance running given his body breaks down from it.
McCarthy gets involved more; the team benefits. He did that towards the end of the season.
I think this is what the strategy is. It stretches the defence outside the 50 and puts a decent ball user in the frame for delivering into the forwards who will find more space.

Although the reason BHill and Langdon needed to work so hard defensively is because we couldn't hit a target across half forward or inside 50 to save ourselves. There is a reason teams that are more effective by foot don't have to run as much.

I think we are all jumping to conclusions a bit with all the talk of Cam to wing. We played Brad and Ed as (almost) permanent wingers. I'm doubtful that will be what JLo is thinking next year and instead we'll have a bunch of guys rotating from wing (or mid) to half forward. We need to get a lot more efficient inside 50, and having good kicks in that area of the ground will help with that -> McCarthy, Walters, Tucker, Mundy, Cerra, Bewley. Plus you also want half forwards to be able to hit the scoreboard. But that attacking side obviously needs to be balanced with keeping team defence solid so I think it is an idea they'll explore via match sims from this week through pre-season.
Curious to know why you doubt Longmuir won't feature (almost) permanent wingers?

Also interested to get some stats on how much running we do compared to other teams, especially those that play on similar sized grounds. Wouldn't surprise me if what you say is correct, and it would be interesting stat to track and compare the coaching with. No matter what team BHill is in he will be covering a lot of ground though. He is freaky.

Might of been said...but he reminds me of Jake Stringer. Essendon found a new role with rotations through the midfield. Maybe that is on the cards for Cam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those in the Social Media black hole of China, can anyone let us know the main points. It would be much appreciated!
  • McCarthy - fresh role, fresh task, come back to pre-season in fine shape
  • Henry - lots of talent, speed & tricks
  • New Draftees - great character, lots of work to do but no limits (ie debut rd 1 possible)
  • Pearce - new surgery will be great for him, seems unlikely to be ready rd 1 but will come back early and should be 100% (confidence in body)
  • Joint training - JLo loved it, AFLW helping make club great, rooting for them to do even better in 2020
  • Bell & Garlick - formed great team, aligned as a footy club
  • Fyfe - holding him back until post Xmas deliberately to give his body a break from the bash and crash
  • Colyer - most impressive guy in the team, guaranteed best 22 player
Ok I made the last point up just to see if people read it.

• New Draftees - great character, lots of work to do but no limits (ie debut rd 1 possible)
  • Pearce - new surgery will be great for him, seems unlikely to be ready rd 1 but will come back early and should be 100% (confidence in body)
  • Joint training - JLo loved it, AFLW helping make club great, rooting for them to do even better in 2020
  • Fyfe - holding him back until post Xmas deliberately to give his body a break from the bash and crash
I almost lost my ****. You're a bad person.

Agreed with the off field stuff. They've taken it to another level- https://www.simonpeterbell.com/

Video is up... they've edited out the Colyer bit by the looks.

Took a bit of digging but I found it:
Barra - “What’s your thoughts on Trav Colyer. My good mates Basil and Kim reckon his 3-year contract was 3 years too long.

J-Lo - “Yeh look Trav trains hard. I’ve been keeping talk on Trav real quiet we see him as our secret weapon a bit like the Phantom, super quick and invisible at times. We expect more of the same with Trav, a really impressive guy and guaranteed best 22... when visible that is. Have a look over there Bara can you see him?”

Bara: “Nope haven’t seen him for weeks”.

J-Lo: “Well there is a job for you now Bara. Keep looking.”

Took a bit of digging but I found it:
Barra - “What’s your thoughts on Trav Colyer. My good mates Basil and Kim reckon his 3-year contract was 3 years too long.

J-Lo - “Yeh look Trav trains hard. I’ve been keeping talk on Trav real quiet we see him as our secret weapon a bit like the Phantom, super quick and invisible at times. We expect more of the same with Trav, a really impressive guy and guaranteed best 22... when visible that is. Have a look over there Bara can you see him?”

Bara: “Nope haven’t seen him for weeks”.

J-Lo: “Well there is a job for you now Bara. Keep looking.”
I believe this is the footage of Barra looking
VXVkVk3trP-KFaZZv8zcLDGRnS4=.gif

Fremantle Dockers star Michael Walters limps off training track
Fremantle’s Michael Walters left the track early at Cockburn this morning after his latest injury scare.

The star midfielder-forward limped off the oval about an hour into the session, with the help of a member of the club’s medical staff, with a suspected left leg injury.

Walters’ left knee was already strapped due to a previous injury but it is not yet known whether it is directly related.

His Dockers teammates didn’t appear to be too worried by the injury, with training only briefly coming to a halt.

Fremantle skipper Nat Fyfe ran over to Walters to have a brief conversation before resuming training.

The 28-year-old is coming off a career-best season which included a debut appearance in the All-Australian team and several match-winning performances.

Walters returned to pre-season training earlier than required, joining his first-to-fourth-year teammates last month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back